Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Infra red?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AndreaJ
    AndreaJ  1 United Kingdom
    24 Sep 2012 - 12:00 PM

Can you buy infra red lights to set up so I can take night shots in historical building etc?
    I use a digital camera so will it work? and where do I get them?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Sep 2012 - 12:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82277 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Sep 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hi Andrea,

Your first challenge is making sure your digital camera will record infrared. Most didital cameras have a filter applied just before the light hits the sensor - called a hot pass filter. Basically, this filter filters out infrared light. Infrared light focuses on a slightly different point than visual light wavelengths - without filtration the colours and sharpness of an image would be off.

The degree of efficiency for hot pass filters differs. This means that cameras can differ in regard to their ability to record infrared. However, unless specially modified to record infrared you will need to apply an infrared filter (such as the hoya r72) to the lens to block the majority of visual light wavelengths being recorded. Depending on your cameras degree of sensitivity to IR will determine the exposure time needed.

Now to answer your question. I believe it is possible to buy infrared torches, although i have no experience of this. You would need to check that the wavelength of the IR light is compatible to your filter. If not using an IR modified camera - the exposure times of light painting with IR may make its use problematic (e.g. noise). But perhaps others have experience of this.

Good luck,

Adam

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41177 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Sep 2012 - 1:01 PM

You can get infrared filters and infrared material that you can cover your lights/flash with. As long as you get a wavelength that matches the filter on your lens, you should be ok, though it would be quite difficult to light buildings and large rooms as it would need to be powerful...possibly too much for what little light passed through the filters.

If you have a camera that records IR well, you don't need a filter on the lens if the room is dark enough to not register ambient light.

You can test your camera by using a IR tv remote. Hold down the button and photograph the transmitter with your camera. If you can see a coloured dot, your camera will at least record IR.

I have an old Nikon D50 that recorded IR quite well.

Nick

AndreaJ
    AndreaJ  1 United Kingdom
    24 Sep 2012 - 1:33 PM

Thanks both x

I will def try that Nick thank you!!!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.