Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Infra red

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

TheWanderer
23 Apr 2010 - 11:54 AM

Hi I am upgrading my camera soon and at the moment I have an old 1DS and am thinking of getting it converted to infra red and wanted to know if anyone knows where and the best place to get it done, preferably near manchester.

Thanks in advance.

jon

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Apr 2010 - 11:54 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

fstopshere
23 Apr 2010 - 3:31 PM

Advances Camera Services (ACS) Norfolk are the only people I know, in this country that convert. They did my 30D. ACS might be at the Photovision road show in Manchester May 11th at Old Trafford, I think.

User_Removed
23 Apr 2010 - 6:37 PM

1Ds is a terrible infra-red camera, you are better off buying a more IR sensitive sensor to work with.

lawbert
lawbert  71701 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2010 - 7:07 PM

Quote: 1Ds is a terrible infra-red camera, you are better off buying a more IR sensitive sensor to work with.

Which Camera would be that then ?

Why does the 1Ds have a sensor that makes it terrible to convert to IR?

TheWanderer
23 Apr 2010 - 7:07 PM

Many thanks for both of your replies especially the 1DS not being suitable.

jon

gpwalton
gpwalton  1390 forum posts
23 Apr 2010 - 7:58 PM

ACS told me that they no longer wanted to convert Pentax DSLRs to infrared. This was because they have problems sourcing Pentax spares.

User_Removed
24 Apr 2010 - 8:34 AM

Quote: 1Ds is a terrible infra-red camera, you are better off buying a more IR sensitive sensor to work with.

Which Camera would be that then ?

Why does the 1Ds have a sensor that makes it terrible to convert to IR?

Sony, Pentax and Canon xxD's are far more sensitive DSLRS - but BY far the best performers are digital point and shoots ~ they give much more pleasing results - They are also easier (and cheaper) to convert.

The sensor in the 1Ds is the 11.4MP canon cmos type FF. - And only the last quarter 2002 (first round) batch are "decent" at IR. The 2003 onwards production models have different sensors that perform the same; but from what I gather have different IR properties.#. ~ My friend is very disappointed with the IR performance of his 1Ds that was made in 2003.

The decision to make is cost of conversion/vs result quality.

E.g the canon G6 is easy enough to convert yourself, as it can be done without replacing the diffusing glass to retain AF - but the results are non-comparable to say a G10 but that requires a precise thickness of glass to replace the now cut out IR high pass.

- I've seen a self converted 5D and that produces usable hand-held results at ISO 1000 and I would say that the 5D and XXD's are the only DSLRs I have seen that are worth the conversion.

Bottom line is that the 1Ds can do IR, but there are much better alternatives that are probably cheaper than the conversion cost of the 1DS.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 24 Apr 2010 - 8:36 AM
TheWanderer
24 Apr 2010 - 8:48 AM

Many thanks for your explanation and I think i will be leaving the 1DS as Is and look for a more suitable camera.

Thanks again.

jon

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96030 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2010 - 9:21 AM

Quote:

Sony, Pentax and Canon xxD's are far more sensitive DSLRS - but BY far the best performers are digital point and shoots ~ they give much more pleasing results - They are also easier (and cheaper) to convert.

The file size on this little Sony isn't big but it produces nice easily hand-held results - with a bit of clumsy converting to B&W - I'll perfect that bit eventually Smile

dsc01611.jpg

dsc01616.jpg

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2010 - 2:15 PM

Well, these pics are startling to me, and show why people want to to indulge in this process.
jas

Graham0602
28 Apr 2010 - 9:28 AM

Had my D70 converted to I/R by Protech Photographic in Sussex. Very happy with the results - or at least I am since yesterday afternoon when, with their help, I realised that I need to set the custom WB (I actually knew that all along but completely forgot that I needed to, so was getting very red and not very good piccies - oops !!!)

TheWanderer
28 Apr 2010 - 9:48 AM

Nice images cattyal.

Glad you got it sorted out in the end Graham, Do they add something to the WB settings or do you have to set it yourself with one of the custom WB settings?

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
28 Apr 2010 - 10:25 AM

I have several shots in my portfolio taken using a converted Pentax *ist D. Since the conversion the camera actually produces much sharper shots and the infrared results can be really cool. Here's one that's not in the portfolio taken of model Heather in a Trash the Dress style shoot in Clumber Park
heather-27.jpg

Graham0602
28 Apr 2010 - 10:50 AM

TheWanderer

No, they don't do anything with the WB. All you have to do is use the custom preset setting on your camera - just point the camera at a bit of foliage (which turns white in I/R) or grey card and set the custom WB preset to that yourself, then use that WB setting for the rest of your shoot that day or until you start shooting in different lighting conditions

Cheers
Graham

Graham0602
28 Apr 2010 - 10:59 AM

TheWanderer
Have quickly uploaded one of piccies I took this mornin to my profile - similar effect to, but not in the same league as, the ones above
G

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.