Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

InfraRed Conversion White Balance

dandeakin 7 202 3 England
10 Apr 2009 3:34PM
Having had an IR converted Nikon D50 for a few months now, all the images taken have a strong red cast.

I've tried Presetting the white balance to green grass in sun or Presetting to to White card etc. I've tried shooting on all the WB presets, and adjusting WB of the RAW files.

Interestingly, they look as I would expect on the cameras LCD - some minor colour casts but often fairly "Mono" etc. When viewed in Windows, Lightroom or PS they appear like "Red Images". It doesn't really matter if you're going to convert them to mono, but it'd be nice to take some "colour" images.

I've linked an example of a "Red Image" (Version 2)

Anyone else with a converted DSLR had any experience of this?

link

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
10 Apr 2009 3:57PM
The red is a result of the light spectrum been caught.

Shoot RAW and open in PS, drop the colour temperature fully left (approx 2000k) then reverse the red and blue channels.

This will get you started.

Plenty to be had out there on the subject...
10 Apr 2009 9:48PM
Thanks for that, useful link, wish i'd found it before posting the question. It's still strange that the camera LCD has no Red colour cast at all though.

Thanks again.
kaybee 10 3.9k 24 Scotland
10 Apr 2009 11:51PM
NOt really - the conversion takes off he infra ed filter on the sensor ......that doesn't affect the viewfinde or screen
binper 6 11
11 Apr 2009 5:04AM

Quote:The red is a result of the light spectrum been caught.

Shoot RAW and open in PS, drop the colour temperature fully left (approx 2000k) then reverse the red and blue channels.

This will get you started.

Plenty to be had out there on the subject...

Useful link.
11 Apr 2009 9:47AM
I always thought the camera's LCD displayed the JPEG/RAW as saved on the memory card.

The D50's LCD shows no Red cast at all - the images look very mono with perhaps a few subtle colour casts (tobaccco etc). Completely different to the same JPEG/RAW when downloaded to a computor.

I would expect the camera's LCD to display a similar "Red Image" to that seen when viewed on a monitor. I guess the camera is prioritising the green or blue channels.
jeni 6 7 United Kingdom
13 Apr 2009 4:23PM
sometimes Lightroom adjusts the pictures before you do, check in the settings to make sure all automatic adjustments are turned off. sorry, i cant get more technical with it, i just fiddle about with it til it looks right!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.