Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Infrared film in EOS Cameras

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315605 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Aug 2001 - 1:28 AM

I just bought an EOS300 and was told I can't use infrared film because of fogging caused by some internal infrared film advance gadget, and that I should have shelled out more for a better model.
    Is there any way around this or do I just have to save up the pennies again ?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points

Many of the EOS cameras do have an infrared film advance system, which will cause fogging. This appears mostly on the rebate area where the sprockets are, but some light can spread across into the edges of the image. There is no way around this, unless you crop the picture and just use the central area, but that's not ideal. One option would be to buy an old secondhand camera for infrared work and use the EOS for everything else. Or take the camera back and see if the dealer will exchange it for a camera at a similar price that doesn't fog infrared.

lareine
    lareine  13

I have heard that Konica infrared does work in EOS cameras. I emailed Konica to ask them, but they said they haven't tested the EOS 300 so couldn't give me a definitive answer -- however they did very kindly send me a few rolls of their infrared film to try out. I haven't been able to yet, though, because I don't know what kind of filter I need. My local camera shop (Jessops) is completely clueless in this area. Does anyone else know?

Jenny

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Sep 2001 - 8:58 PM

The Konica film can be used with the R72 opaque filter or standard 8x red that you'd normally use for black & white. The opaque filter blocks most natural light giving the real infrared effect.

legless
    legless  13
    24 Sep 2001 - 3:33 PM

I use Ilford SFX in my EOS 300, its semi infrared but the effect is noticeable, i find it very different to normal black and white.

Little Jo
    Little Jo e2 Member 132272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
    10 Oct 2001 - 5:35 PM

EOS magazine reckon it's worth trying a roll in your particular model as the fogging normally only affects the very edge of the frame (remember your viewfinder only shows 90% coverage anyhow).

I have EOS 300 and EOS 30, and my aim to have a play with Ilford SFX - it's great fun to use and requires no special handling.

The reason modern EOS models fog the rebate of infrared film is because of the sprocketless film drive mechanism. It does provide you with a nice quiet camera though.

Badger
    Badger  124736 forum posts United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Aug 2002 - 5:37 PM

Apparantly Minolta use a similar system, causing the same problem with fogging.

J-P
    J-P  11396 forum posts
    14 Aug 2002 - 9:31 PM

I have no problem with Kodak HIE on my Dynax 5 !

Badger
    Badger  124736 forum posts United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Aug 2002 - 9:40 PM

I spoke to Kodak and they advised it was a known problem due to the motor drive using infra red to detect the sprocket holes on the film. I think I'll try some out in my Minolta 505si and experiment.
    Matt

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.