Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Infrared Filters!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • 1
    • »
    20 Nov 2009 - 10:12 AM

    I've been doing a little reading on infrared photography and there seems to be a bit of a grey area on what's the better filter to use. i've got 200 spare to spend, but i have both 67 and 77mm lenses to cater for. Any advice would be much appreciated. Bring on the frosty weather!!!

    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Nov 2009 - 10:12 AM

    Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

    20 Nov 2009 - 10:20 AM

    Hoya Infrared Filters

    Used for photography with infrared films. lnfrared film is also sensitive to ultraviolet rays and the shorter wavelengths of the visible spectrum so it is necessary to filter out all but the infrared rays.
    R72 passes only infrared rays above 720nm; RM90 passes only that above 900nm. Often used in crime detection, medical photography, detection of distribution of vegetation, etc.

    In ordinary photography with infrared film or infrared color film, the Y(K2), O(G), R(25A) and other filters can also be used to change the contrast or color effect.
    not sure about digital, as I think you need to modify the camera?

    77mm 169 and 67mm 90

    Last Modified By ripleysalien at 20 Nov 2009 - 10:21 AM
    Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Nov 2009 - 10:21 AM

    You could buy a 77mm filter and a stepping ring. The R72 is as good as any. It's very deep red and blocks all visible light. You can buy the filter in gel form or glass. The gel would fit into a Cokin gel holder for sue on their filter system, but it's easy to get marked and if you accidentally kink it you end up with reflective hot spots. Glass is the better choice and will easily fall within your budget.

    Quote: not sure about digital, as I think you need to modify the camera?

    No need to modify the camera, but some digital cameras work better than others. The result will be a very red photo that needs converting using your image editing program.
    A better option would be to have a camera converted to digital. Buy a second body off eBay or our classified section and send it of to be converted. The IR filter is fixed over the sensor. It means you don't have long exposures, the focus shift has been taken care of at the sensor area, and there's no filter on the lens.

    Last Modified By Pete at 20 Nov 2009 - 10:24 AM
    20 Nov 2009 - 10:26 AM

    some good links here,


    20 Nov 2009 - 11:29 AM

    Thanks guys, i'll have to go with the filter option for now. i'd love to go with the 2nd camera and the fixed filter opt, but the funds dont allow it just yet!.. Thanks again.......D;

    SGIBBONS  556 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Nov 2009 - 12:13 PM

    I use a Heliopan RG695 (89B) Infrared Filter 105mm so i can use with a wide angle lens. I use a lee 105mm adapter ring. I bought the filter from Teamwork link
    Its expensive, but i think its well worth it.

    • «
    • 1
    • »

    Add a Comment

    You must be a member to leave a comment

    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.