Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

infrared photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    colingarrard
    8 Dec 2011 - 1:50 PM

I'm still relatively new to 35mm photography and am looking into doing infrared photography.
    Is it possible to use an Infrared Filter with standard 35mm film; what would the effect be on a long exposure (as is done with digital)? Is IR film absolutely necessary for a 35mm camera or can this do done with the correct filter and standard film?
    Thanks for any help.

Colin.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Dec 2011 - 1:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    8 Dec 2011 - 3:21 PM

Quote: Is IR film absolutely necessary for a 35mm camera

It's been a loooong time Colin but I would say undoubtedly as reciprocity failure is going to ruin the image using standard film and when taking the exposure lengths into account.

oldblokeh
    oldblokeh  3762 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Dec 2011 - 3:25 PM

I seem to remember that silver halide emulsions are not sensitive to any wavelengths longer than blue, possibly green unless sensitised with a dye. I think that the dyes used for IR film are different and you will need proper IR film and an IR filter. Watch out when focussing. Older lenses used to have separate 'R' focus marks for use with infrared -- it's because of dispersion.

gpwalton
    gpwalton  1390 forum posts
    8 Dec 2011 - 11:39 PM

Using standard black and white film with a red filter will darken skies and increase contrast. If you use a green filter it will lighten foliage. A infrared filter on a normal black and white film is unlikely to get any results.
    However, you can buy Iford SFX film which is a black and white film that is partly into the infrared zone. Used with a dark red filter, it does give some infrared effect. It is better in sunlit scenes.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73802 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2011 - 2:26 PM

Quote: Is IR film absolutely necessary for a 35mm camera or can this do done with the correct filter and standard film?

Yes it is necessary- you need a film that is sensitive to IR

colingarrard
    9 Dec 2011 - 2:50 PM

Thanks for all your help. I suppose the answer is no now that digital IR photography is the way forward.

Wink Colin.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.