Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Infringed copyright

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pluffy
    pluffy  7126 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Jun 2011 - 9:46 AM

A few years ago I designed a website for a small local company, this included all the photographs.

I have just been told by the company that they no longer want me to maintain the site because Yell.com had made a new website for them.
    I have just checked the website and they have basically just lifted all my images and text and popped it into their site.

I was wondering what the best course of action is considering that I wasn't asked if they could use my images, I would have thought that they could at least give a mention to my website as recompense.

What do you think.

Steve.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Jun 2011 - 9:46 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jun 2011 - 10:27 AM

Did you have an agreement with them that your images were copyrighted and were for the single use on the website that you had created and not to be used anywhere else?

Andy_Cundell
    16 Jun 2011 - 10:41 AM

Morning Steve

I'm no legal eagle, but the first thing I would do is, confront them/ inform them, either face to face or on the phone. Tell them you still own the copyright of those photographs and you have not been officially asked for there use of them or paid to have them used. They must either pay you or ask for your consent to use them or withdrawl them from the site within 48 hours. (You have to have an idea of how much you want to be paid already before you contact them)

If they are 'shitty' about it, tell them you will follow up with a letter/ official e-mail within 24 hours and thats when their 48 hours starts. This starts off your paper trail. From here on, you need to keep as record of everything with times and dates, even hand deliver the letter or have it sent registered so you have a record they have received it.

If they just didn't know, ask them to either pay you, send an official letter asking for your permission or change the website to include your name under the photos or take them off!

All in all, it depends on what YOU want. I should of asked that first!

What is it you want?

Andy

pluffy
    pluffy  7126 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Jun 2011 - 11:34 AM

Hi whipspeed, these images were for single use only and I was not asked for permission to use them on the Yell.com site.

Andy, I am just annoyed that I wasn't approached, if I had been I would have given permission, provided they mentioned they were my images and put a link to my site.

I really wasn't interested by being paid again for the images but it would have been courteous to have been asked.

I think I will approach the company and ask for my site details to be included .

Thanks for your comments.

Steve.

MikeA
    MikeA  91166 forum posts England
    16 Jun 2011 - 11:42 AM

Quote: Hi whipspeed, these images were for single use only and I was not asked for permission to use them on the Yell.com site.

Andy, I am just annoyed that I wasn't approached, if I had been I would have given permission, provided they mentioned they were my images and put a link to my site.

I really wasn't interested by being paid again for the images but it would have been courteous to have been asked.

I think I will approach the company and ask for my site details to be included .

Thanks for your comments.

Steve.

If there is still some good will between you and them maybe they will accommodate more than reasonable requirements before before embarking on the legal trail.

MikeA
    MikeA  91166 forum posts England
    16 Jun 2011 - 11:43 AM

ops .... missed the your last but one line Wink

jken
    jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jun 2011 - 11:56 AM

Send them an invoice, they'll soon remove the images.

boony
    boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jun 2011 - 11:16 PM

erm, if it`s yell.com you might be ble to squeeze a few bob just dont go daft or take the piss money wise ring them and be nce and confident about it have you got a link to it?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.