Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Injured Robin - Help

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2013 - 10:51 AM

I found an injured Robin in my garden this morning. It is unable to fly and looks as though it has some wing damage. It is sub-zero outside with 6" of snow and more falling. It would have died quite quickly from cold or been preyed upon if left outside alone.

I have it in the house and am keeping it warm. I have provided it with food and water.

Is there anything else I can do to help? Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jan 2013 - 10:51 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2013 - 11:03 AM

Give the RSPB a ring, they're sure to know the best cause of action. Fingers crossed he pulls through.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 7954 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2013 - 11:06 AM

put it in a box and keep it in the dark till the rspb take over.

Ewanneil
25 Jan 2013 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I've just spoken to my RSPB Regional Office and they basically suggested what I'm already doing - in a box, in a dark warm place with some food and hope it recovers. They suggested the SSPCA if looks like it's injuries are a bit more serious. Fingers crossed.

Ewanneil
25 Jan 2013 - 12:02 PM

Sad to report but the wee soul died. I don't know how long it lay outside before I discovered it. I reckon the cold and shock got the better of it. Thanks for the advice.

Ewan

Cephus
Cephus  92123 forum posts England
25 Jan 2013 - 12:30 PM

At least you did your best, Thanks for trying..

puertouk
puertouk  21056 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2013 - 2:09 PM

You should have sent for Batman, he always seemed to help Robin

Ewanneil
25 Jan 2013 - 3:52 PM

Quote: You should have sent for Batman, he always seemed to help Robin

I don't think even a super-hero could have saved it.

I reckon it's injuries may have been as a result of fighting with other Robins. I have seen 8 in the garden at one time. They are extremely territorial birds but a combination of the bad weather and me putting out lots of mealworm-based food has brought them together. They spend a huge amount of time squabbling with each other and quite regularly it gets nasty.

edtaylor
edtaylor  3104 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jan 2013 - 7:26 PM

I have tried to save birds myself. Never been successful though. But at least you did what you could and thought best.

dcash29
dcash29  81898 forum posts England
26 Jan 2013 - 12:26 AM

Maybe cut back on the feeding

Ewanneil
26 Jan 2013 - 7:18 AM

Quote: Maybe cut back on the feeding

I don't think that's really an option at the moment. I live in a very rural and sparsely populated part of the country and I am the only one around putting any sort of food out. We have had deep, lying snow and frozen ground for the past 2 weeks. Ground feeding birds, in particular, have been having a really tough time. Although this one bird died I console myself with the thought that many more would have if I hadn't been feeding them.

There is a thaw on the way and as soon as it is clear that other (natural) food sources are available I'll ease back.

dcash29
26 Jan 2013 - 8:40 AM

You've admitted responsibility that you were a contributing factor.

Quote: I reckon it's injuries may have been as a result of fighting with other Robins.

Quote: me putting out lots of mealworm-based food has brought them together.

you cant say if the weather would have killed them, you dont know for sure. Maybe if you hadn't have been putting food out the population probably would have been more wide spread.

So i think you've come on here knowing you're to blame for the death of this poor creature , trying to gain admiration for your efforts of comfort as you feel terrible guilt.

GUILTY Wink

Ewanneil
26 Jan 2013 - 9:17 AM

Who killed ****-robin? (not my censorship)

Not I, but actually I do feel a wee bit guilty. I also worry I am just creating a buffet table for Sparrow Hawks.

Last Modified By Ewanneil at 26 Jan 2013 - 9:19 AM
dcash29
26 Jan 2013 - 9:36 AM

Quote: Not I, but actually I do feel a wee bit guilty. I also worry I am just creating a buffet table for Sparrow Hawks.

glad to hear you're coming to your senses Wink

chalkhillblue
chalkhillblue e2 Member 5143 forum postschalkhillblue vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2013 - 10:02 AM

I really do not think you should have any feelings of guilt at all, a small bird that is well fed and healthy has more chance of evading a
preditor than a hungry weak bird, Robins are a very territorial bird and at this time of year are defending that territory against other
Robins and will sometimes fight to the death, so this little birds death is possibly to be either from that cause or perhaps the bird
was just infirmed, had it been a Sparrow Hawk there would probably not been much left for you to find, if you are concerned about feeding
the birds try and position the food source close to cover (shurbs etc) so that that at any threat of danger it can find a safe haven.
Please do not stop feeding, these little creatures need your help.
David

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.