Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Ink streaks when using photoblack

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110291 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 7:44 PM

Can anyone help with this please,

recently my R3000 has started randomly producing streaks of wet ink when I print using the photo black cartdridge (whether it be B&W or a Colour print). It doesn't occur if I use the matt black cartridge and can, for a while, appear to be cured if I carry out a head cleaning cycle.

Its a real nuisance as it invariably occurs when I'm printing something both important and urgent and is costing me a fair bit in paper (and probably ink)

I can't find anything on the Epson "Help" sites and their "Chat" support is closed (I'll try to find time to chase them tomorrow)

Its around 2 years old now and has put out many hundreds of prints without a hitch until this problem started a few weeks back

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 May 2013 - 7:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 8:00 PM

Try running the clean print heads option Brian...assuming you havent already

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110291 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 8:06 PM

thanks Lawbert, as above, I tried that and it seems to effect a temporary cure, sometimes

pluffy
pluffy  7130 forum posts United Kingdom
20 May 2013 - 8:24 PM

Could it be that the waste pads are full and causing the problem?

I understand that when you change between matt black and photo black the system is purged and about 3ml of ink is pumped into the pad

Steve

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8992 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 8:24 PM

it sounds like a build up of ink on the heads, try running a heavy stock paper or card through it, if still no joy you will need to park the heads on some paper towel or blotting paper. Also clean the ink pad heads of excess ink.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 20 May 2013 - 8:27 PM
brian1208
20 May 2013 - 8:50 PM

thanks Gareth, the ink build up sounds possible as I have tried the heavy card trick with no success

How do I move the heads off the ink pads?

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8992 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 8:54 PM

this sounds bad but here goes. fold some paper towel and look at the left side of the printer carriage you will see a ink pad, put the towel their make sure it is just thick enough to let the heads sit on it. put the printer into ink changing mode and as the head reaches the far left pull the mains cable, and then slide the heads over the towels. Let it sit for a few hours. While your there dab the ink pad on the right with a towel and soak up all the ink on it. When done remove towels and switch the printer on all should be fine.

The above is how I deal with it when it happens, which isn't so often now.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 20 May 2013 - 8:57 PM
thewilliam
20 May 2013 - 8:59 PM

We sometimes had a similar problem with the 7800 that we used to have. One short-term remedy is to widen the platen gap. The best way is to clean the surplus ink from the wiper cap using a moistened clean lint-free cloth.

The idiot who designed the 7800 put the paper cutter right next to the print-heads. Dust from paper cutting mixed with surplus ink and this is what smeared over the paper we were printing. We made a point of never letting the printer cut fine-art paper or canvas.

Make sure you cover the printer when it's not in use to reduce the amount of dust that gets in.

psiman
psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
20 May 2013 - 9:34 PM

Brian,

I as getting a similar problem with my R2880 when printing heavyweight fine art papers such as Permajet's Fibre Base Royal due to the tendency for the paper curl to cause head strikes. I've found I've been able to cure it by a combination of flattening the paper (pull it over the edge of a desk), widening the platen gap and using the rear single sheet feed.

Hope this helps.

Simon

brian1208
20 May 2013 - 9:53 PM

thanks guys, all useful input.

I've just had a play at the shift then switch off technique Gareth, just to look at the state of the parking head pads, which didn't seem to bad (very little ink picked up by my swab paper).

I did notice that there was some paper frass in a few places along the bed under the head transit region, so blew that clean (don't know where that came from as I've never had any paper strikes although I do use a lot of matt fine art papers )

Then I've just run a test print (on some of my cheaper proofing paper) and what do you know - a clean print! (probably purely fortuitous so I will have a longer look tomorrow)

Its the fist time I've had a good look inside this beast (using a high power LED light block), all sorts of odds and ends I don't recognise. I was much more comfortable with working inside my old HP9180 which seemed more basic somehow Grin

GarethRobinson
20 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

Well glad your sorted.

brian1208
20 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

thanks, but I'm not convinced yet Gareth.

I bet the moment I stick some of my "Pukka Paper" in it will widdle ink all over it again (and sit there looking smug! Tongue )

I run some more prints tomorrow and report back

brian1208
21 May 2013 - 8:33 AM

I've just realised that there is something very odd about this as both the photo black and matt black cartidges use the same print head (still thinking in HP9180 terms which had separate heads) so why have I only ever seen the problem with the photo black - Hmmm?

Chris_H
Chris_H  101472 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Do you have Rip where you can limit the Photo Black ink use?

Have you just experienced this with the one Cartridge? If you haven't changed the Cartridge how long has it been in the Printer for?

brian1208
21 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for your input Chris, I don't use a Rip and have changed the cartridge recently as I wondered if it may be associated with the other being nearly depleted.

Don't think its solved the problem but I will have another print run later today and see how its going

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.