Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 1

Inspirational still life photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2013 - 9:59 PM

Of late I've just not had time to do any landscapes, unfortunately work pressures get in the way - or should I say fortunately. So I've dabbled a bit with still life's, something I can set up very quickly (and leave set up), so I can work on them when I have a spare few minutes. I'm also starting to incorporate them into a few DMs. I'm converting part of my office so I can devote a bit more time to it.

I've had some quite encouraging results but now I want to get a different look - thing is I don't know exactly the look yet. Thanks greatly to help I've had from the likes of Janet (Chase).

So here's my question, can anyone link to still life's that offer something else, I'm not into bowls of fruit etc they don't do anything for me, I want animage to have a narrative etc.

To start the ball rolling a couple that I've been drawn to:

Kevin Best

A bit too conventional for me, but superbly done, besides I don't ave the time or money to collect as many props, there also a bit busy for me.

Harold Ross

I love the processing almost HDR, but not he uses multi layers of "light painting"

Robert Mapplethorpe I hope the link works is to a narrow google search as some of mapplethorpes images are nor really work friendly !

The above are just a flavour of some of the still life's. Irving Penn has been mentioned but I've yet to see a still life of his that I like.

There are some excellent examples on here from Chase, Cattyal, KeithH etc.

I would really be interested in any examples anyone could link to.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Sep 2013 - 9:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 95987 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2013 - 10:26 PM

Too late to think about it now but I'll see if I can add to the thread soon Smile

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 95987 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2013 - 10:44 PM

But.....

Guido Mocafico does some nice stuff......

Peter Lippman

for starters Smile

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2013 - 11:01 PM

Thanks Alison, some super examples there, particularly Lippmann.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2013 - 9:22 AM

Magda Indigo does great flower shots Nick

Nick_w
9 Sep 2013 - 7:26 PM

There's some good stuff there Ade, some of the abstracts in particular are great. - must say a bit too colourful for me tho Wink

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2013 - 8:48 PM

get colourless flowers Wink

like the white rose maybe !

chase
chase Critique Team 81116 forum postschase vcard England235 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2013 - 5:47 PM

Christopher Broadbent

Nick_w
10 Sep 2013 - 7:55 PM

Thanks Janet, just the photo of his studio on his website is quite inciteful

Last Modified By Nick_w at 10 Sep 2013 - 7:55 PM
frontlens
12 Sep 2013 - 10:34 AM

An incredible still life photographer is Francois Gillet http://www.artipolis.com/francoisgillet/

Take a look and you will agree.

Nick_w
12 Sep 2013 - 7:42 PM

Thanks Hans, yes there are some good images .

lawbert
lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2013 - 8:46 PM

For Inspiration you could do a lot worse than Alison's PFWink

cattyal
13 Sep 2013 - 4:14 PM

Quote: For Inspiration you could do a lot worse than Alison's PFWink

Ha - and here's me distinctly lacking in inspiration at the moment Smile

Still - how about this collection Olga Vlasova

Nick_w
13 Sep 2013 - 4:52 PM

There great Alison, and what I like is with photographers that are good when they show their favourites you see other examples that are good too. Smile

Nick_w
14 Sep 2013 - 4:16 PM

One I've just stumbled on

Carlo Pautasso

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.