Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Inspire me

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Peter23
    Peter23  52 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Nov 2011 - 10:42 PM

So guys, I am having a real dry period with my photography and I HATE it, it's truly depressing. Let's see some brain storming, ideas for getting back your inspiration! What does everyone here do when they have a dry patch!?

Please help guys!!

Peter

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Nov 2011 - 10:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lawbert
    lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Nov 2011 - 10:50 PM

I would suggest going back through your portfolio and investigate what is right and what is wrongWink

Brainstorming is a whole load of Nads and defines a simple lack of intellect and imagination on the person calling for oneTongue

No Offence Meant Of CourseTongue

Peter23
    Peter23  52 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Nov 2011 - 10:52 PM

I completely agree, I do have a massive lack on imagination and it's killing me. I just don't feel inspired. Shocking stuff. First ever for me

Jestertheclown
    5 Nov 2011 - 11:02 PM

The usual response in threads like this is that you need to set yourself a challenge; do something you've never done before or aren't very good at and looking at your pf., there's no particular theme or genre that holds your interest.
    So, maybe that's the answer after all. Concentrate on one specific theme or series of shots and challenge yourself to get it right.
    I got a bit cheesed off a while ago and started working in B/W because I didn't know how to. It only really lasted a while, although I still do some stuff but it did serve to get me interested again.

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Nov 2011 - 11:14 PM

I approach this in one of two ways - depending on the person.

1) Put the camera down! Yep sometimes we jump into something and just overload our system way too fast and the result is burnout; which is always a pain. So I say put the camera down, don't try to force it (because chances are even if you get good results, in a burn out you'll likely still think them poor) and just head out without it. Maybe even focus your attentions on a former or new hobby for a little while. Then before you know if you'll catch the camera bug again.

2) Projects - as said above a challenge or a project which focuses and forces your atteniton into a specific area of interest for yourself. It might not even be fully photography based, but simply involve photography at one or more stages.

I'd advise against the 365day type projects; whilst many of these start out well most quickly dissolve into random pictures of whatever is within reach of the computer (normally also in the dead of night). Thus whilst they can start out being great, unless you set yourself some strict rules to follow it will quickly break down (I'd also say that one a day is way too many - one a week and make it good).

David_Lansdell
    5 Nov 2011 - 11:26 PM

Quote: I approach this in one of two ways - depending on the person.

1) Put the camera down! Yep sometimes we jump into something and just overload our system way too fast and the result is burnout; which is always a pain. So I say put the camera down, don't try to force it (because chances are even if you get good results, in a burn out you'll likely still think them poor) and just head out without it. Maybe even focus your attentions on a former or new hobby for a little while. Then before you know if you'll catch the camera bug again.

2) Projects - as said above a challenge or a project which focuses and forces your atteniton into a specific area of interest for yourself. It might not even be fully photography based, but simply involve photography at one or more stages.

I'd advise against the 365day type projects; whilst many of these start out well most quickly dissolve into random pictures of whatever is within reach of the computer (normally also in the dead of night). Thus whilst they can start out being great, unless you set yourself some strict rules to follow it will quickly break down (I'd also say that one a day is way too many - one a week and make it good).

I agree if you love photography then take a break or look for different things to do involving photography

mikesavage
    mikesavage  12233 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Nov 2011 - 11:37 PM

Give it up and do something else instead. I've had a couple of these periods myself over the past 35 years. I've just got back into photography after a layoff of over 4 years & am enjoying it again.

User_Removed
    6 Nov 2011 - 9:29 AM

Have a crack at producing something like this.

(Be sure to go 'Full Screen Wink)

CaptivePhotons
    CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111515 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2011 - 9:34 AM

Come and join us in the 365 Group or in the blogs.

MikeA
    MikeA  91150 forum posts England
    6 Nov 2011 - 10:55 AM

Surrounded by 20 acres of trees in their Autumn colours and have not taken one image yet.

Superb image Mike.

Last Modified By MikeA at 6 Nov 2011 - 10:56 AM
    tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85859 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2011 - 12:11 PM

Quote: What does everyone here do when they have a dry patch!?

Neck half a dozen bottles of Holsten pilsWink

User_Removed
    6 Nov 2011 - 1:27 PM

LOL!!!! - I have a can of that very brew in my hand as I type Adrian!!!

Last Modified By User_Removed at 6 Nov 2011 - 1:28 PM
    polis_928tadw59

You should not be drinking at this time of the day. Much too soon. Leave your start time until 2pm.Grin

If the autumn colours do not give you a kick-start, boost, then nothing will. Waiting for a cherry tree outside for its leaves to turn pink, and capture them against a clear blue sky. Why did I not do it in the last 2 years ? Because the day they were beautifully pink, along came the gales, and denuded the tree.Life can be sad at times.Wink

User_Removed
    6 Nov 2011 - 5:27 PM

Quote: You should not be drinking at this time of the day. Much too soon. Leave your start time until 2pm.

LOL!!!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.