Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Instagram to sell photos commercially without compensation.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

paulcookphotography

It really is a shame that things are going this way.

Instagram is one of the most popular apps available, and has encouraged a lot of people to be more creative with their iPhone (or other devices). Yes, there is a lot of the night out pics and those seeking attention, but in the time i have used IG, i have come across a lot of great talent. Fortunately theres other platforms out there for folk to display their works, but obviously the t+c changes have caused a bit of a stir and mistrust in the community, and i'm sure it will ultimately put some off smart-phone photography and art.

There is also a lot of apps and extras that run alongside Instagram that will suffer, such as those that offer prints and other products of images in your instagram gallery. Perhaps if Instagram/Facebook had implemented this themselves they could have reaped some some rewards off the back of their free app

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Dec 2012 - 8:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

monstersnowman
18 Dec 2012 - 9:28 PM

It's not the end of the world. Many other apps do the same and MUCH MUCH MUCH more. You can then choose which to share and which to keep using whichever social media site you wish, with copyright advert in place if you wish or whatever.

779HOB
779HOB  21021 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Dec 2012 - 9:32 PM

Quote: Many other apps do the same and MUCH MUCH MUCH more.

Care to name a few I am looking for a new good one.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315487 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2012 - 9:57 PM

Any good

http://pixlr.com/o-matic/

wicksy
wicksy  879 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Dec 2012 - 10:05 PM

Flickr have just updated iphone app so that you can shoot and upload directly from your phone. - it provides limited filters ( not as much choice as instagram and also the ability to share on facebook or twitter. It was described as a rival to instagram on release - did they see this coming I wonder?

paulcookphotography

Update on the Instagram Blog

Seems to be clarifying its t+c's

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012607 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2012 - 10:20 PM

Bit of sweating going on it that office today Grin

clarifying or a u turn .. ?

this was t&cs change before the blog
Quote: 2. Some or all of the Service may be supported by advertising revenue. To help us deliver interesting paid or sponsored content or promotions, you agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you. If you are under the age of eighteen (18), or under any other applicable age of majority, you represent that at least one of your parents or legal guardians has also agreed to this provision (and the use of your name, likeness, username, and/or photos (along with any associated metadata)) on your behalf.

and now the blog
Quote: The language we proposed also raised question about whether your photos can be part of an advertisement. We do not have plans for anything like this and because of that we’re going to remove the language that raised the question.

paulcookphotography

Quote: Bit of sweating going on it that office today Grin

clarifying or a u turn .. ?

Haha, my thoughts exactly. Like, they dont need to credit you or tell you your work is being used, but they also have no plans to use your work. Perfect sense!

779HOB
18 Dec 2012 - 10:37 PM

I think they have a bike that peddles backwards in that office.

779HOB
18 Dec 2012 - 10:40 PM

Quote: Any good

Thanks Paul, just downloaded and taking a look. It does look pretty good.

cathal
cathal  10492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2012 - 1:11 AM

They are squirming, and back peddling... but they'll come at it again from another direction.

I never cease to be amazed at the naivety of facebook users who blindly hand over so much private and personal data to a company to profit from.

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2012 - 1:15 AM

Quote: And cue outcry by ePzers who don't use services like Facebook and Instagram who will now cite this as another reason they don't use em

duhh - quite the opposite I'd say - rather just a smug smirk. Why make an outcry about something you've known (or opined Wink Tongue ) all along - I'd say it's for others to make an outcry

779HOB
19 Dec 2012 - 7:18 AM

At the risk of starting something I don't want to; Facebook don't claim ownership of your photos. What they planned (plan) to do with Instagram was a major change. I think Twitpic have the same T&Cs that Instagram were (are) implementing. I expect FB would (will) adopt them too some time.

FB T&Cs allow them to share your photos between servers, so your friends in Japan, Brazil etc can see your photos.

What Instagram are doing (were doing, might have been doing if you believe it was a misunderstanding) is very different.

FB makes, or doesn't make, a profit from advertising. If you use FB you will have noticed the adverts on the right hand side of your timeline.

paulcookphotography

Quote:

I never cease to be amazed at the naivety of facebook users who blindly hand over so much private and personal data to a company to profit from.

A little harsh? I'm assuming you are not a fan of social media then? For me, Facebook, Twitter and the likes have given me excellent platforms for advertising and promotion, customer research/feedback, keeping up to date with industry news, keeping in contact with friends and family that otherwise would be more difficult, making new friends, etc. And all for 'free'

Yeah, totally naive to these money grabbing companies who are stealing my life away...

mikehit
mikehit  56545 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2012 - 8:48 AM

I agree with Cathal - there is nothing wrong with people who want to use facebook for a particular reason, but there are vast numbers out there who put their life on FB and twitter wihout really understanding what they are doing. Advertising services and research, or keeping in touch with friends is one thing, but the amount of information some people put on the amazes me. It is rather like the cases recently where people have been pulled up for 'inappropriate comments' they made on FB/twitter (such as potential libel or relating to their workplace) and their defence was 'but it was a private discussion'. Naive? Absolutely.

I don't think anyone really knows what FBs true business model will be (as in something that makes real money rather than fantasy money). But if IG is anything to go by, it does not lookpretty.

Last Modified By mikehit at 19 Dec 2012 - 8:49 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.