Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Instagram to sell photos commercially without compensation.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

paulcookphotography

My daughter is bringing no guy home! lol (she's only 12)

But no, i wouldnt. I may ask about him and his parents and attempt to get to know him, but wouldnt resort to stalking. Its not Meet The Parents/Fockers

If i was to hire staff (i mainly only take on folk on a short term for work experience or if i am suddenly short on time), i would judge them on their experience/qualifications, interest and personal references. I think if you have to resort to vetting on facebook, they are not the person for the job

They might not fit both categories.

Last Modified By paulcookphotography at 20 Dec 2012 - 12:41 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Dec 2012 - 12:29 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

paulcookphotography

Quote:

If the FB is set to public and you are identifiable as the person they are wondering about, they do not need to ask your permission. So I am not sure what you are getting at.

I give up mike, i was simply just clarifying that my own accounts are set to public, but in theory i would question a request. Should have made that clear like opinion/definition lol

779HOB
779HOB  2999 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Dec 2012 - 8:30 AM

Quote: interest and personal references.

The reason many job application forms have a section for hobbies and interests is so the employer can try to see what the person gets up to in their own time. These have always been used in the short-listing process.

If someone declares they play rugby and someone else is a distance runner and they were equal on everything else, you might pick the distance runner as he/she is less likely to get serious injury or come in on a Monday hungover. Facebook etc have simply replaced this section on the form.

(P.S. - as this was about Instagram - just for info I have moved from Instagram to EyeEm. There are some amazing photographers there, and yes they are photographers. Some stunning street photographers. I have spent hours browsing the gallery there.)

Last Modified By 779HOB at 20 Dec 2012 - 8:32 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014023 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 8:44 AM

Quote:
If someone declares they play rugby and someone else is a distance runner and they were equal on everything else, you might pick the distance runner as he/she is less likely to get serious injury or come in on a Monday hungover. Facebook etc have simply replaced this section on the form.

Sheesh and there was me just picking candidates on whether they could do the job or not. Seems to have worked out Ok so far.

This all strikes me as similar to where employers are obsessed by any gaps on your CV. Heaven forbid you decided not to work for a few years and just travelled around the world or something. The whole process seems to be to try to filter out anyone who has ever done anything interesting.

779HOB
779HOB  2999 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Dec 2012 - 8:53 AM

Quote: The whole process seems to be to try to filter out anyone who has ever done anything interesting.

Well personally I would rather employ someone who'd travelled and lived a bit than someone who'd spent their life in education. I'd rather have someone interesting to chat to at work to be honest!

I think the process has become more about reasons not to employ someone, mainly as there are hundreds of applicants for every job, and most of them very capable of doing the job.

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 10:44 AM

looks like they are backtracking fast..............

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63280 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 10:44 AM

Why is looking at someones public facebook information stalking?

paulcookphotography

Quote: Why is looking at someones public facebook information stalking?

Its a general term given to looking at a person's facebook posts to track what they are doing and/or collate information about them and not necessarily interacting with them. Usually its an ex partner or colleague that is the target

thewilliam
20 Dec 2012 - 11:37 AM

It's not just potential employers that need to look at facebook.

When I was between marriages and a member of a singles club, I'd always make a mental note of those who were always scathing about their ex-husband so I could give them a wide berth.

One favourite interview question gives the applicant the opportunity to slag off past or current employers.

User_Removed
20 Dec 2012 - 2:44 PM

Paul I think the term stalking doesn't just encompass Facebook.

Quote: Why is looking at someones public facebook information stalking?

Despite what Paul claims I don't think that looking at someone's public Facebook posts is stalking. If I look at the public posts of David Cameron am I stalking him?

Quote: Its a general term given to looking at a person's facebook posts to track what they are doing and/or collate information about them and not necessarily interacting with them. Usually its an ex partner or colleague that is the target

Where do you get this definition of stalking from? Is there a dictionary you can link to with such a definition?

paulcookphotography

Its a common term not usually meant in a serious manner (although obviously at times it can become serious). It may be the urban dictionary, lol, but there's a few interpretations HERE. Also at times called a Facebook Creeper

Last Modified By paulcookphotography at 20 Dec 2012 - 3:13 PM
User_Removed
20 Dec 2012 - 9:27 PM

Two comments on the Instagram debacle that folk shared on Facebook and consequently appeared on my page:

Quote: File sharing: you don't mind when it's some musician's song or a designer's game or even "borrowed" software. When it's your shitty Instagram photos it all changes, eh?

and, in lighter vein:

Quote: Instagram's new policy says it has the right to draw boobs on your pictures and sell them to North Korean soldiers!!!!

I think those put the whole issue into a much healthier perspective.

cathal
cathal  9492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2012 - 12:16 AM

Well, this has gone off in a way not intended, but a way none the less on which I have strong views. I do believe many millions of people have and will post information on facebook which they will come to regret deeply in the future.

Quote: I also agree with freedom of expression and free speech

So do I and very strongly too. However, having the freedom to express yourself does not give you the freedom of the consequences.

My original point was directed towards people who give incredibly detailed profiles of their lives, interests, tastes, habits and so on, along with all sorts of other information, which can then be mined and harvested by other people and be used for profit, be it from hugely target advertising through to more sinister use. There was an email attributed to the founder of Facebook, sent in the early days of the venture, which if 100% correct, would confirm that my opinion of Facebook users, and the potential nefarious use of the data held on their servers, is shared with him.

It has been said of me that I'm not on Facebook because I've something to hide. As it happens, I've nothing to hide, but that doesn't mean I want people to know it. Compare it to my medical records. There is nothing scandalous or even particularly interesting there, but I still want it kept private.

Regarding Facebook peeking of potential employees, people must be incredibly naive if they think it's not happening. You've just interviewed two candidates, and can't separate them. A quick internet search for publicly available background information on both candidates shows lifestyle choices for each candidate. You form opinions based on this publicly available information.

Which is a long way from my very original point about having your data on Instagram being used for profit by others without payment to the creator.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.