Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Insurance

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    KONIN
    KONIN e2 Member 3252 forum postsKONIN vcard England
    2 Feb 2014 - 6:47 PM

I had a really bad day today my camera was blown over on the tripod today and it has damaged the lens and bent the mount on my d600 i dont have camera insurance unfortunatley so will i be able to claim on my house insurance for the repairs/replacment of the camera and lens,
    Thank you

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Feb 2014 - 6:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Mike_Smith
    Mike_Smith e2 Member 7122 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Feb 2014 - 7:12 PM

Depends what you tell them, look at your policy in fine detail to see what your covered for. My house insurance covers for items taken outside the home but got to be valued at 1500 per item, so if it was just my camera wouldn't be covered because it didn't cost that much, but with the lens attached it would be over the 1500, but i can imagine the insurance saying that is 2 items if you get what i mean. I think everyone's insurance will be different, but i must take out proper camera insurance

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 96057 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Feb 2014 - 7:22 PM

That sounds strange Mike - usually it's items over, say 1,500 that have to be specified. Items under that value are still covered though of course the excess has to be taken into account when claiming. Certainly my policy requires items over that value to be specified on the policy though happily, or unhappily, I have nothing worth that much!

KevSB
    KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Feb 2014 - 7:37 PM

As Catt suggested, Mine is also, any single item over 1 k has to be declared to be covered.

Just checked, Direct line is now 2000 for high value items removed from the house before they must be specified.

Last Modified By KevSB at 2 Feb 2014 - 7:43 PM
    sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82324 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Feb 2014 - 7:58 PM

Whatever you tell them - just be honest.

indemnity
    indemnity  6329 forum posts
    2 Feb 2014 - 8:33 PM

Do you have accidental damage cover, if not you may not be able to claim? Or is it perils such as flood fire and theft? Policies vary for personal items, max value without becoming required to be specified and the aggregate value in relation to % of content cover. The total sum for personal effects away from home may have a limitations warranty. Then excess amount.
    Sometimes it is better to list these items separately as the aggregate could be a value greater than the specific incident. Check before completing claim for, you don't want to invalidate it by a simple slip up on the form.
    Hope it works out OK for you.

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 96057 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Feb 2014 - 8:41 PM

I too was going to ask about the cover you have though it'll be All Risks you need for items outside the home.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Feb 2014 - 8:50 PM

Zurich Insurance replaced my camera and lens on the house insurance a few years ago under similar circumstances to yours but I have a new for old accidental policy, with a 1500 per item limit. They classed the lens and camera as two separate items, luckily for me. It didn't half bump my premium up the following year though Sad

thewilliam
    2 Feb 2014 - 8:51 PM

Your status as an amateur or professional makes a big difference. If you've ever advertised your services, then a google search will probably find it and the insurance company might then refuse a claim.

If the OP is a pure amateur, most household insurers cover "toys" but some expect the valuable items to be listed. The insured total needs to be large enough to cover all goods and chattels or the "averaging" clause might be invoked. This would greatly reduce the pay-out.

Be completely honest with your insurer. They record phone calls and, where there's a lot of money at stake, they have voice analysts listen to the transcript for sign of untruthfulness.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62478 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    3 Feb 2014 - 1:04 PM

It depends what insurance you bought which mainly depends on how much you paid.

The cheapest premiums do not cover accidental damage to items like clothing or cameras while you are away from home.

Quite a few policies cover accidental damage to items temporarily away from home with an excess (often 50-100), an overall limit (maybe 5,000 as standard), and sometimes a limit per item (maybe 1,500).

If your policy covers accidental damage away from home you should be able to claim with no problem. How much depends on what cover you bought.

For an amateur this type of house contents insurance extension, with a sensible overall limit, usually provides the most cover for the least premium. A sensible overall limit depends on the maximum value (including your and your partners clothes) you temporarily take away from home at any one time.

There are some more expensive policies which provide cover for everything if away from home without specifying a separate limit - a good route if you have a lot of expensive equipment.

Back to your camera body as the mount is twisted it is probable the mirror housing also needs replacing.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62478 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    3 Feb 2014 - 1:17 PM

Quote: My house insurance covers for items taken outside the home but got to be valued at 1500 per item, so if it was just my camera wouldn't be covered because it didn't cost that much, but with the lens attached it would be over the 1500,

Wearing another hat as a Fellow of the Chartered Insurance Institute and a Chartered Insurance although I have not seen your policy perhaps I can add some detail.
    You probably misunderstand - it is items over 1,500, not under 1,500 that may be excluded.
    DSLR's are usually bought separate from a lens and are 2 items for any limit per item.
    There is usually a standard maximum limit per item (it seems like 1,500 on your policy) and an overall standard limit, often 5,000.
    The single article limit and the overall limit can often be increased when appropriate at an extra premium.
    You may have to use an insurance broker rather than a direct marketing "one size fits all" package to get this flexibility, but it can be worth it if you have a lot of equipment.

cattyal
    3 Feb 2014 - 2:15 PM

Quote: You may have to use an insurance broker rather than a direct marketing "one size fits all" package to get this flexibility, but it can be worth it if you have a lot of equipment.

Yes - use a broker - my pay-packet depends on you Smile

Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    3 Feb 2014 - 2:52 PM

My house and contents insurance (with M&S Money) given me cover for "unspecified valuables" outwith the home with a limit of 5000 per item or collection of items. I have always assumed that this meant the total value of the photographic kit I had stolen or damaged.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.