Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Insurance cover working in schools

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

woodrow
woodrow  7153 forum posts Scotland
21 Jan 2010 - 11:50 AM

Hello All

some advice on insurance, i have secured a contract in a secondary schools to provide creative media tutorials - main focus is a diversionary programme for young people who are offending; i will provide equipment/training for them to make short films/animation

it means taking and entrusting my D200, Powerbook G4 laptop and everything that goes with it to young people

what advice would you give regarding equipment insurance given my intended work? i have 2 weeks before i start.

it is probable that the kit may incur some accidental damage given, i have increased my costs for the work but would like to cover myself

i have public liability insurance already

comments/advice gratefully received

Paul

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jan 2010 - 11:50 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Daisy_intheMill
21 Jan 2010 - 12:04 PM

Hi Paul,

Does the school have it's own equipement - most do nowadays and it may be better for the children to use them as they will obviously be insured by the school ? They may not be as advanced as yours but may do the job and would save you having to entrust your expensive equipment to them. Not sure about yourself - although surley if the school are employing you they should cover you. As you're working regularly with the children you'll also need to get a CRB check but the school should do this. I did a one off session with a class and they used the school laptops - they were rather limited in their memory so we had to keep file sizes down but it worked well.
Jude

Last Modified By Daisy_intheMill at 21 Jan 2010 - 12:05 PM
woodrow
21 Jan 2010 - 12:19 PM

Hi Jude

am in the position where i need to provide everything, so do have concerns, the contract means that i would need to purchase two other cheap camera/lens combos, around laptop i can supervise.

crb i have carried out, so am covered on that point

the cost of insurance i can easily offset as a business expense for my accounts, am more focussed on the level of cover i would receive

Paul

Daisy_intheMill
21 Jan 2010 - 12:23 PM

Sorry, I think you'l have to talk to a broker. The work sounds like quite a challenge, and a really interesting one at that - have fun!
Jude

RichardN00
21 Jan 2010 - 12:38 PM

This is probably a 'granny sucking eggs' comment but don't forget to factor in loss of earning and/or replacement equipment hire into the insurance quote

woodrow
21 Jan 2010 - 4:02 PM

Quote: This is probably a 'granny sucking eggs' comment but don't forget to factor in loss of earning and/or replacement equipment hire into the insurance quote

not at all, please explain 'loss of earnings more'? equipment hire is a no no as i live in northern scotland; otherwise i would have been tempted to hire everything

Paul

RichardN00
21 Jan 2010 - 4:29 PM

Quote: please explain 'loss of earnings more'?

It was just a passing thought that presumably this is a paid contract, which if your equipment is damaged and takes any length of time to repair you won't be able to fulfil, so won't be paid.
You may be able to insure against the loss of expected income.

Jestertheclown
21 Jan 2010 - 5:15 PM

Quote: crb i have carried out, so am covered on that point

I may be misreading this so if I am then I'm sorry but the CRB check needs to be carried out on you by the school. You can't take one with you.
Just trying to help.
(As Jude says, this does sound interesting.)
Jester.

johnbarrow
21 Jan 2010 - 7:26 PM

Whats a CRB check ?

dlegros
dlegros  12217 forum posts England
21 Jan 2010 - 8:10 PM

John,

CRB is the Criminal Records Bureau.

A CRB check involves you filling out a multi-page form and (possibly) paying a fee (depends on the employer).

You have to declare any convictions you may have incurred and they then check that against your record as well as a few other bits and pieces.

As someone working with children or vulnerable adults, you have to have an Enhanced CRB (I have one working in the Emergency Dept) and it has to be carried out for each employer (which is why I actually have 3!)

HTH

Dom

Jestertheclown
21 Jan 2010 - 8:12 PM

Criminal Records Bureau.

The school, or whatever organisation is employing you will ask you to fill in a form on which you give certain personal details. These are then processed by some authority or other and a check is made at the above bureau where the records of any convictions you may have are kept and will come to light.
You then receive a certificate listing your past misdeeds, should you have any.
Or the ones you got caught for anyway!
The check has to be carried out at the instigation of the employer though.
I work at a school and am successfully CRB checked.
However, if I went to work at another school, I'd need to be checked again, for that school's benefit.
I can't use my existing one as they wouldn't recognise it.
I know a couple of people who have five or six currently valid CRB certificates!

johnbarrow
21 Jan 2010 - 9:10 PM

Sounds like something out of the old Eastern Block.
How have you got in such a mess in the UK with so few rights and freedoms left ?

mrcal
mrcal  101032 forum posts
21 Jan 2010 - 9:44 PM

Quote: I work at a school and am successfully CRB checked.
However, if I went to work at another school, I'd need to be checked again, for that school's benefit.

Down here, my experience has been slightly different. I work in Adult Education and in a Secondary School. My employer is the county council in both cases. Providing I have had a CB check at one of them, the other establishment doesn't need a further check.

Of course, we also have the wonderful panacea of the Vetting and Barring Scheme to cope with shortly. It might be that rumour and unfounded charges will stick like mud.

Jestertheclown
21 Jan 2010 - 9:49 PM

You're right John. It's gone mad.

I'm the vice chair of the governors at the school where I work and I've just received an email from our clerk asking all of us to take to a meeting next week; photo ID (passport, driver's license etc.), utility bill for proof of address and my current CRB.

Copies have been requested by Ofsted to prove who I am as a governor.

Just before Christmas I had to supply precisely these documents as copies had been requested by Ofsted to prove who I am as a member of staff.

At the same school.

Jestertheclown
21 Jan 2010 - 9:56 PM

Hi Michael,

My employer is also the county council and one of the friends I mentioned who has five or six CRBs also works for the council. She's recently retired but was once the Town's Lady Mayor.

All of her CRBs were related to different departments within the council!

Jester.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 21 Jan 2010 - 9:58 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.