Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Insurance rip off

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
ChrisStyles
ChrisStyles e2 Member 6377 forum postsChrisStyles vcard United Kingdom
29 Aug 2012 - 1:18 PM

A couple of months back I was caught on camera doing 57mph in a 50 zone so fair play I put guilty on the form and sent it off and received a 60.00 fine plus three pointsSad I've just been online to renew my insurance and with the three points added it went up by 172.00 and that's just for this year as it stays on there for another four years after thatSad
Then to top that if you need to pay monthly there was an added charge of nearly a 100.00.....!!! So just the three points will end up costing me something like 500.00 over the next few years....& they wonder why people put in claims against them.

Yes totaly my fault for speeding but still a bit OTT Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Aug 2012 - 1:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2012 - 1:32 PM

Well motorists have been cash cows for police and local authorities for a while now (Speeding and parking fines and charges) this is an example of the Insurance companies jumping on the same bandwagon

mikehit
mikehit  56340 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2012 - 1:35 PM

Ouch ! Are you losing your no claims bonus or is this an increase in basic cost? Either way it could be time to shop around when renewal date comes along

Dave_Collier
29 Aug 2012 - 1:54 PM

As I am currently unemployed I tried to reduce my renewal costs this year, only to be told it would increase by nearly 100 because I am unemployed, I am doing considerably less mileage but it is percieved that my mileage will go up. Work that one out!

mikehit
29 Aug 2012 - 2:15 PM

Increase your premium because you are unemployed? How bloody stupid...
So I looked it up and there are loads of hits explaining how apparently being unemployed is a risk factor, supposedly because people travel further to look for work (though retired peopel see no such increase), and unemployed are less likely to maintain their vehicle.

This is worthy of the grumpy thread....

ChrisStyles
29 Aug 2012 - 2:47 PM

It's anything and everything they can think ofSad If your unemployed you would struggle to put petrol in the car to go anywhere at today's prices. The 500.00 Mike is the basic cost over the five years the points stay on your record even though they come off your licence in four yearsSad

PinkK
PinkK  580 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2012 - 3:48 PM

That is so unlucky Sad I worked for the Magistrates Court for many years, things have changed so much since I left. Speeding tickets used to be issued for speeds on the basis of 10% plus 3mph (i.e speeding in 30mph would mean 36mph would be the cut off before tickets issued. A mad system really, but it allowed for speedometers that were slightly out and also the cameras etc. Therefore, back then 57mph would've been ok (so to speak), but they're so much more rigid now. A few years ago I was caught by a mobile camera on the A14, I was doing 79mph....so again, with the old system 79mph was within the cut off point. My insurance was increased by 30, which annoyed me, but they see you as an unsafe motorist who clearly broke the law etc etc. Unfortunately your costs won't stop there, your points are valid for 3 years, but stay on for 4. If you want the points removed after the 4 years, you will have to pay 20 to have them removed....but I'm sure that cost will have increased yet again by the time you want them removed Sad

ChrisStyles
29 Aug 2012 - 4:12 PM

A 30.00 increase would of been niceSmile The main cost of the points is they stay on your insurance details for five years so after three years the police see you as having been dealt with but the insurance company can still screw you for more moneySad

collywobles
29 Aug 2012 - 4:25 PM

Quote: A couple of months back I was caught on camera doing 57mph in a 50 zone so fair play I put guilty on the form and sent it off and received a 60.00 fine plus three pointsSad I've just been online to renew my insurance and with the three points added it went up by 172.00 and that's just for this year as it stays on there for another four years after thatSad
Then to top that if you need to pay monthly there was an added charge of nearly a 100.00.....!!! So just the three points will end up costing me something like 500.00 over the next few years....& they wonder why people put in claims against them.

Insurance compaies do not work like the DVLA - once caught with points your insurance premium reflects that permanently.

Its your choice to pay monthly.

Quote: As I am currently unemployed I tried to reduce my renewal costs this year, only to be told it would increase by nearly 100 because I am unemployed, I am doing considerably less mileage but it is percieved that my mileage will go up. Work that one out!

Thats not true - the rationale they use is that being unemployed you wll not have the funds to service and maintain your car properly - therefore you have a higher risk claim. This issue was covered in one of the documentary TV progs.

Last Modified By collywobles at 29 Aug 2012 - 4:28 PM
tomcat606
tomcat606  596 forum posts
29 Aug 2012 - 4:25 PM

A friend of mine has just been told his Insurens had been cancelled back in June '' and no one told him untill he tried to renew it at the end of July the reason after a littel bump in April his insures
Said they had cancelled the policy due to the wheel modification ie not ford alloys "" the best part is he insured the car with the same people he bought it of who fitted the wheels in the first place to make more sellable GET OUT OF THAT ONE Wink

tomcat606
tomcat606  596 forum posts
29 Aug 2012 - 4:28 PM

Please all watch that one about the wheels it's not the first time If you don't inform
Your insures they will claim it's not the standered car they claim they insured

collywobles
29 Aug 2012 - 4:35 PM

Quote: A friend of mine has just been told his Insurens had been cancelled back in June '' and no one told him untill he tried to renew it at the end of July the reason after a littel bump in April his insures
Said they had cancelled the policy due to the wheel modification ie not ford alloys "" the best part is he insured the car with the same people he bought it of who fitted the wheels in the first place to make more sellable GET OUT OF THAT ONE Wink

You have to tell the insurance company if any modifications to your vehicle have been made outside of the standard manufactures spec, in your case its clear you did not, you only have yourself to blame. They did not cancel because you have wheels fitted it was because you did not tell them.

My advice to anyone dealing and filling in insurance forms is to be very truthful about everything. Many people re-chip their cars to improve performance if you do not tell the insurance company then you possibly will be classified as uninsured, and certainly your insurance cancelled. This applies to any fom of isurance.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2012 - 4:40 PM

Quote: (though retired peopel see no such increase), ..

Retirees annual mileages are far lower than those of people who still go to work, but we don't get any reduction for it. When I have asked for a reduction in annual miles to be allowed, the reduction in annual premium cost is under 5.00 so I don't bother with it.

Sometimes the extras added on for loss of no-claims (& maybe for speeding fines as well) is somewhat arbitrary. My mains water supply to the house failed two years ago and the cost of the repair was covered on my house insurance policy. However the following years quotation was for an extra 150. I went onto the internet with the same company and completed the form making sure that I included notification of the claim for around 4,000. The premium came up as an extra 25 over the previous year so I renewed the policy that way. I did get a letter telling me that I had not renewed my policy as was therefore vulnerable to high costs if something went wrong. They were quite surprised when I showed them my new policy number.

One other arguable thing of note, the policy covered me for accidental damage. The water main failed under the house and was not accessible to repair at that point. A new main was installed from the meter to meet up with the old pipe beneath my front garden, a connector was fitted at that point leaving the rest of the main under the house alone.

The insurance claims assessor said that as they were unable to access the actual part which had failed, they could not be certain that the damage was accidental. (crazy crazy man) I replied that as the part was inaccessible, how could I possibly have caused the failure on purpose. It took some argument before he accepted my point. The claim was settled over two years later, after the contractor had been chasing me to pay myself as the insurance did not appear to be going to settle.

It drove my wife and I mad. It just shows the arbitrary nature of policy adjustment and also assessments of repairs to some kind of damage. Nobody wants to bear the cost of repairs after customers have been paying household insurance for more than 50 years.

steve_p
steve_p  91097 forum posts England
29 Aug 2012 - 4:45 PM

My insurance company didn't increase the premium when I was done for speeding. They said one offence was OK.
When I renewed this year I did a comparison and found that the majority of companies seemed to follow this guideline. I think it's time for a bit of shopping around.
The guidelines for issuing a ticket are normally 10% over plus 2mph. For example if you were doing 57 in a 50 limit you should be ok. But if you are recorded at 57.1 you've got a ticket!
I think it was North Wales police that had a zero tolerance policy in that if you were any amount over that's a ticket!
Insurance companies generally will find any way they can to avoid paying out.

mikehit
29 Aug 2012 - 4:50 PM

Quote: Insurance compaies do not work like the DVLA - once caught with points your insurance premium reflects that permanently.

Any insurance I have taken out say that they are only interested in points up to 5 years previously - do you have any different information? With the inflations costs it would be hard to tell if there is any lasting effect.

Quote: Thats not true

However it is part of the story
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/why-unemployment-bumps-up-car-insurance-c...

Regards the wheels I recall one insurer tried to get out of payment because the owner used a make of tyre that had not been standard issue even though it was the same broad specification. The owner took them to court and won on the basis that the change could not be considered material enough to affect the claim. Part of me thinks the insurance companies are a bunch of tight wads running a scam, but part of me says you can't blame them for trying.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.