Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Insurance rip off

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
collywobles
29 Aug 2012 - 5:14 PM

Quote: Part of me thinks the insurance companies are a bunch of tight wads running a scam, but part of me says you can't blame them for trying.

They are a business and need to make profits so they can pay dividends to their shareholders - I see nothing wrong with that. As for shopping around you need to make sure that the policy has identical conditions before you just jump to the cheapest provider.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Aug 2012 - 5:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ChrisStyles
29 Aug 2012 - 5:49 PM

Just had a chat with my insurance company and it turns out if I stay with them I will end up paying 67.00 more than I did last year even with the new set of points added....so not to bad. I'll just pay it and forget about it for another twelve months no way I'm paying another 100 for the installments!!

redsnappa
redsnappa  111880 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Aug 2012 - 6:28 PM

A friend of mine has insured his car with a foriegn insurance company and got a much cheaper deal, they were very quick to deal with when he made a claim last year. He is paying less than half the cost of a UK insurance company would have charges him. It's very tempting I may do tha same when mine expires.

kodachrome
29 Aug 2012 - 6:30 PM

Its the transfer of information through the internet from one authority to another and to the commercial sector, usually automatically and with out your permission that has caused this. Take it to the European court of human rights as a test case.

And they wonder why there are over 3,000,000 un insured vehicles on the road. Tossers.

PinkK
PinkK  480 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2012 - 6:35 PM

I was very surprised to get a renewal quote which was cheaper than last year...most unusual I thought...and I still have my points (just)

thewilliam
29 Aug 2012 - 7:55 PM

One insurance company tried to wriggle out of paying for fire damage after a sharp-eyed loss adjuster noticed that the back door didn't have the required 5 lever deadlock.

Britman
Britman  71669 forum posts England
29 Aug 2012 - 8:12 PM

Insurance/Banker peas from the same pod.

collywobles
30 Aug 2012 - 8:51 AM

Quote: And they wonder why there are over 3,000,000 un insured vehicles on the road. Tossers.

I dont believe cost is the only reason after all you can if you wish just take out 'road traffic act' insurance which is third party personal liability only which is much cheaper. The people who do not insure their car are the same people who will have no road fund licence, no MOT, no licence, and probably an unroadworthy vehicle. ANPR is the best thing that has been developed to take these people and their cars off the road...

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
30 Aug 2012 - 10:22 AM

Quote: Its the transfer of information through the internet from one authority to another and to the commercial sector, usually automatically and with out your permission that has caused this. Take it to the European court of human rights as a test case.

And they wonder why there are over 3,000,000 un insured vehicles on the road. Tossers.

Rubbish, you have to declare traffic offenses if you want valid insurance and as many people will be tempted not to self declare there would be a hell of a lot more technically uninsured drivers out there if insurance companies were not allowed to check people's records. You don't have the right to hide motoring offenses from anyone who you wish to purchase cover from, otherwise we would all have to be dreamed as dodgy drivers with unknown histories.

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 12:15 PM

Quote: Retirees annual mileages are far lower than those of people who still go to work

A bit of a generalisation and I would imagine there are quite a few retired folk who don't maintain their car either - due to cost.

mdpontin
mdpontin  96016 forum posts Scotland
30 Aug 2012 - 12:25 PM

Quote: You have to tell the insurance company if any modifications to your vehicle have been made outside of the standard manufactures spec

Yes, indeed. When I bought my current car, I looked into the options around 'chipping' the engine-management system to boost power output. Some of the comments I found seemed to be suggesting that because the update could be easily and quickly reversed by the owner, there would be no need to inform your insurance company! Very dodgy! I'd think any reasonable insurer would be less than impressed if they found out about an undeclared boost of around 40bhp!

Last Modified By mdpontin at 30 Aug 2012 - 12:26 PM
theorderingone
30 Aug 2012 - 12:36 PM

I've never driven, mostly due to the cost of insurance.

I'm Diabetic, so I need to inform them of this. The last quote I got (nearly 10 years ago) was 3500 for a diesel Ford Fiesta. Maybe now I'm over 30, this will have dropped. I'll have to look into it and maybe even bother pass my test if it has.

RichardN00
RichardN00 e2 Member 7393 forum postsRichardN00 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 12:56 PM

Quote: I've never driven, mostly due to the cost of insurance.

I'm Diabetic, so I need to inform them of this. The last quote I got (nearly 10 years ago) was 3500 for a diesel Ford Fiesta. Maybe now I'm over 30, this will have dropped. I'll have to look into it and maybe even bother pass my test if it has.

Might be worth trying through Diabetes UK they've negociated special diabetic friendly rates

I'm type 2 diabetic which doesnt affect my policy as I'm tablet controlled but I've looked into it before, just in case...

Last Modified By RichardN00 at 30 Aug 2012 - 12:57 PM
theorderingone
30 Aug 2012 - 2:06 PM

If it's anything like their travel insurance, it's not really worth the bother, but thanks.

Phoned one up today and was quoted 2030 for a 1 litre Micra, so it's getting better. I may be able to afford to drive once i'm retired Wink

ChrisStyles
30 Aug 2012 - 6:16 PM

I think if I ever give up togging I'd more than likely give up driving also as it's nothing but stress and expense these daysSad Would be cheaper to just hire a car for the odd weekend and holidays.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.