Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Interesting, but depresing, conversation

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2011 - 9:56 PM

Talking to a member of the camera club this evening, he told me he'd had some shots in the local paper in a section where you can send in images & win a family photoshoot with a free print from a local independant studio.

Now they'd had the shoot & loved the photo, a free 16x12 print, but he couldn't believe that for extra images they were charging 40.00 for a 12x8. I said well, they've got to pay for the bills in the studio, pay for equipment and staff and make a living, so if he thought about it, that was quite a good price. Anyway, he said they weren't going to buy it as his son was going to scan the image and print it out for everyone, but as his scanner wouldn't take it all they were going to scan in 2 halves & put it together on the computer.

I was speechless, no wonder it's so bloody hard for photographers to make a living when even members of photographic clubs don't understand the concept of copyright theft.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Aug 2011 - 9:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrGoatsmilk
4 Aug 2011 - 10:02 PM

Saying that though I wonder if such skin flints would actually be a target customer for a photographer. You will always get people like that no matter what, he probably eats a loaf whilst shopping too.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2011 - 10:03 PM

Probably does Sad

Jestertheclown
4 Aug 2011 - 10:08 PM

Do people really pay 40.00 for a 12x8 print?
I certainly wouldn't and neither, I suspect would a lot of people.
Very few people will concern themselves with the issue of copyright theft if they have access to a scanner and can see a way of getting passable copies for nothing.

whipspeed
4 Aug 2011 - 10:14 PM

Well 40.00 is a darn sight cheaper than Venture etc & people have to make a living & at that kind of price it's not going to be a luxury lifestyle.
I have to say the attitude of something for nothing & ripping off peoples work just really does pee me off.

Last Modified By whipspeed at 4 Aug 2011 - 10:16 PM
MrGoatsmilk
4 Aug 2011 - 10:15 PM

I am awaiting a thread from (new member)

"How do I scan and stitch a photo together in GIMP"

whipspeed
4 Aug 2011 - 10:16 PM

LOL, so am I now Smile

User_Removed
4 Aug 2011 - 10:18 PM

I see the copyright issue but I also see that it's a bit of a con in the first place. What you "win" is the chance to have a Venture-style family shoot followed by sales pressure to buy expensive photos and look a bit of a meanie in front of the kids who probably love loads of the images. Emotional blackmail.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 4 Aug 2011 - 10:21 PM
MrGoatsmilk
4 Aug 2011 - 10:20 PM

Good point Chris, you would think that for the comp and the advertising the studio got the "Winner" would get more than 1 shot perhaps a selection of shots to a set value perhaps.

whipspeed
4 Aug 2011 - 10:21 PM

Yes, but they all do that & this is a small company and there was apparently no pressure, they were just told the prices given a price list with their free print that they had chosen so that they could order prints if they wanted. They sponsor the event in the paper & the prize is monthly.

Last Modified By whipspeed at 4 Aug 2011 - 10:22 PM
Jestertheclown
4 Aug 2011 - 10:22 PM

Quote: I have to say the attitude of something for nothing & ripping off peoples work really does pee me off.

I see your point Sarah and I'm not suggesting it's right. It's just the way of the world nowadays.
Once they've got the free print, they'll assume that the shot is theirs to do with as they please.
As for 40.00 being a reasonable price; I've never thought much about it but I do know that our local photographic shop charges 5.50 for a 12x8, or at least they did about a year ago when I got one of my shots printed for our retiring Headteacher.
I assume there must be a huge difference in the quality.

User_Removed
4 Aug 2011 - 10:23 PM

See, if I was him, I'd ignore the law too. The copyright may be with the photo studio but as I'd won that image I'd think nothing of copying it just as if I'd paid someone to come and take it whether legal or not. Obviously if it was the other way round and I was the photographer I'd see it differently. That's because I'm a hypocrite.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 4 Aug 2011 - 10:25 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314909 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2011 - 10:26 PM

A bit like the typical Pixi Photo customer`s you see in places like Boots, they get a free sitting and a nice sized free print and turn down the sets of prints offered at fixed prices.

They then go and use the self service machines and scan the part of the print that will fit Smile

Not surprising really, often the last thing on busy mothers minds is an expensive portrait sittings, when they have only called in for the babies essentials and are strapped for cash anyway.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 4 Aug 2011 - 10:27 PM
whipspeed
4 Aug 2011 - 10:28 PM

Well I suppose you could sell prints for what you got them for, but wouldn't be any profit & they'd soon go out of business.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned and honest to still be surprised that people would just rip off copyright like that. So does that mean Chris that you would be happy with someone just ripping of your work?

Mind you someone bought one of my cycling images of themselves, entered a competition to be in a calendar & won. Then called me to tell me Smile I suppose at least he did that. Still, got a nice advert out of it in the end.

Last Modified By whipspeed at 4 Aug 2011 - 10:29 PM
User_Removed
4 Aug 2011 - 10:28 PM

Quote: this is a small company and there was apparently no pressure, they were just told the prices given a price list with their free print that they had chosen so that they could order prints if they wanted. They sponsor the event in the paper & the prize is monthly.

Hard sell or soft sell I get the feeling the studio are using this as a way to lure punters in and to get them to buy more photos than the one they get as a prize.

Quote: So does that mean Chris that you would be happy with someone just ripping of your work?

Nah I'd be effing livid! But I'm a hypocrite Grin

Last Modified By User_Removed at 4 Aug 2011 - 10:29 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.