Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Interesting Comment from President of Sony Electronics

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: oh FFS enough already
IFIMAGE
IFIMAGE  6143 forum posts Wales
27 Oct 2012 - 6:44 PM

Hi Rog, we had our A300 about the same time I think, I've had the A580 for the faster frame rate and sensor quality for about 20 months two years. I have been out this afternoon and just got back and I have one 8gb card full and 400 odd on another 8gb card taking footie first then a slower pace taking photos of cows trees and sheep! 1,600 images.. My A300 is a back up, it only gets used for holidays or the kids borrow it.

I think this one will be worn out long before my trusty 300 Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Oct 2012 - 6:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RogBrown
RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
27 Oct 2012 - 9:02 PM

Wow that's one busy afternoon! Smile

chamaeleo
chamaeleo  2
7 Nov 2012 - 8:20 AM

Quote: why is it that Nikon keep on producing better cameras than Sony when using Sony sensor technology
Another interesting one is the Olympus OM-D - they have taken the core of a Sony sensor and produced a camera that seems to be way in advance of the Sony offerings. Comments I have read suggest it is a Sony sensor made to Olympus specifications (though what part the processor plays in this I do not know) so it will be interesting to see if Sony cameras can challenge the dynamic range and noise performance of the OM-D. If not, then they need to seriously consider what they are doing.

BUT... don't forget that Sony now have a 10% ownership stake in Olympus!

strawman
strawman  1021999 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 1:12 PM

And also worthy of note is the cuts that Sony have taken which will impact the ability to make lenses so they will become more dependent on others. The Olympus tie up is for the medical stuff if you read the info they release and their releases on company strategy.

Still at least its is starting to recover, but its a long way from healthy with losses like that.

Last Modified By strawman at 7 Nov 2012 - 1:21 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139390 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 1:53 PM

Sony's best bet is to corner the sensor market - that will give them a stranglehold on digital cameras..... without necessarily having to make any themselves.

But Canon and Panasonic will be hard nuts to crack. Lol! Wink

User_Removed
7 Nov 2012 - 9:51 PM

I don't think Sony can do it. Some Chinese or Korean company will find a way to copy the technology. Sony aren't the power they once were. Look at the likes of Samsung. Samsung who weren't fit to tie Sony's bootlaces when they first appeared in home electricals.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139390 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2012 - 12:42 AM

Quote: I don't think Sony can do it. Some Chinese or Korean company will find a way to copy the technology

I quite agree. I think we may see the likes of Samsung enter the camera market in a bigger way than hitherto.

Steppenwolf
8 Nov 2012 - 10:19 AM

The problem that Japan has is that the Yen is very high - and is getting higher because of worries about the state of the Dollar and the euro. This makes manufacture in Japan very expensive. That's why the Japanese economy has been virtually stagnant for decades and they're suffering deflation. When this kind of thing happens in the West the govt finds ways of causing devaluation. The UK has devalued Sterling by about 20% since the credit crunch and has expanded the money supply by about 20% by quantitative easing which will eventually lead to inflation - and "coincidentally" shrink the govt's massive debts. The Japanese would rather commit hara-kiri than indulge in this kind of dodgy practice so they're stuck with a high exchange rate and low growth. They may have the last laugh though.

But in this climate it's becoming increasingly uneconomic to manufacture in Japan and most people are moving production to China or Korea, etc.

Sony are still producing fantastic cameras though - you guys need to open your eyes. The new NEX-6 is a fantastic camera - very small with its new 16-50 lens yet probably better than the OM-D. The A57 is arguably the best in its class as is the A77. Same goes for the RX100 and RX1. The A99 is also looking very interesting as a competitor to the D800. Canon certainly have some catching up to do - and maybe even Nikon too.

lemmy
lemmy  71768 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Nov 2012 - 12:55 PM

Quote: When asked why someone should choose a Sony camera rather than Canikon

That whole quote is b******t. The reason someone should buy Sony rather than any other is if the Sony camera is better than the competition.

I love these corporate guys with their management speak - trying to justify their massive salaries and bonuses with words. So now a what would once have been an innovative product is now disruptive. Creative English (maybe) but saying nothing about your product.

Sony do produce good cameras (fantastic? I've never seen a fantastic camera.) Steppenwolf makes the assumption that everyone here needs to 'open their eyes'. All that means is that 'I am trying to justify my opinion by demeaning yours'. The truth is Sony produce some good cameras, so do Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Olympus and all the rest. Anyone who believes otherwise needs - how to put it? - open their eyes.

I have a GH3 on order which I think has a few good ideas on board - I must tell my wife that I have just spent 960 on a 'disruptive' camera, that'll make all the difference Wink

strawman
strawman  1021999 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2012 - 1:05 PM

Sony's problems are bigger than the Yen, and remember it is world company so impacted by far more than Japan economics, though of course they play a part. In fact you could level the Japan influence much heavier on most of the other camera brands.

The nex range are getting there but behind m4/3 especially on the lenses and not as well developed for photgraphers IMHO. Their SLT/DSLR range needs to be more sony and less minolta. I do not see them as being ahead.

As someone who likes and uses Sony products their performance is a concern, and disappointing as its current problems are really self inflicted.

Last Modified By strawman at 8 Nov 2012 - 1:06 PM
Steppenwolf
8 Nov 2012 - 2:24 PM

Quote:
The nex range are getting there but behind m4/3 especially on the lenses and not as well developed for photgraphers IMHO. Their SLT/DSLR range needs to be more sony and less minolta. I do not see them as being ahead.

Well take the NEX-6 as an example - we've already discussed the SLTs and you apparently don't like the EVF. The NEX-6 is smaller than all the M4/3 offerings that have an EVF (with kit lens). It has more advanced features (e.g. a better EVF and more sophisticated focus). And it's cheaper than the OM-D, which is probably the most logical comparison. Go and have a look at one - this camera will fit in a jacket pocket yet it does everything that a DSLR does.

While Olympus have been intent on making digital cameras that evoke their past (i.e. Pen and OM) Sony have developed something modern. You might say it's not "as well developed for photographers", but what you really mean is that it doesn't look like the SLR you used 40 years ago. Design moves on, Strawman, and the NEX-6 is the nearest thing I've seen yet to a camera that ticks every box - for the amateur.

mikehit
mikehit  46152 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2012 - 2:39 PM

Quote: but what you really mean is that it doesn't look like the SLR you used 40 years ago

If you had aimed that at me I would have responded that Imy dislike of NEX is nothing to do with looking like a DSLR and is about ergonomics - I really don't like the NEX because of the user interface, and that is a common comment even among enthusiasts who use one. And given your repeated comments about MFT lenses being smaller than APS-C lenses I am surprised you talk about pocketability compared to MFT.
So in answer to your comment, no it does not 'tick every box' for the amateur. But it is a valid option for someone looking to buy a camera.

Last Modified By mikehit at 8 Nov 2012 - 2:42 PM
lemmy
lemmy  71768 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Nov 2012 - 2:52 PM

Quote: this camera will fit in a jacket pocket yet it does everything that a DSLR does.

You really believe either of those statements?

Your posts remind me of emails I used to get for a cartoon series I did for the Telegraph Online some years ago.

There were two main types of disapproving ones. Those from Americans often said 'this cartoon is not funny because....' And those from Europe which were more usually 'I do not think this cartoon is funny because....'

There is a massive difference between those two statements but I don't think you will understand what it is.

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
8 Nov 2012 - 3:32 PM

Quote: While Olympus have been intent on making digital cameras that evoke their past (i.e. Pen and OM) Sony have developed something modern.

I think you may be confusing cosmetic appearance with technology. There's little of "the past" about the latest cameras, regardless of whether they have a retro appearance.

Steppenwolf
8 Nov 2012 - 5:02 PM

Quote: While Olympus have been intent on making digital cameras that evoke their past (i.e. Pen and OM) Sony have developed something modern.
I think you may be confusing cosmetic appearance with technology. There's little of "the past" about the latest cameras, regardless of whether they have a retro appearance.

No. Obviously the technology is new but, in attempting to make it look almost exactly like the old OM series they've included an SLR pentaprism dome which makes the camera less pocketable. The NEX-6 with the kit lens will actually go in your pocket without catching, which is a feature I want. It also has the eyepiece for the EVF at the edge of the camera which seems (to me) an improvement. Basically with the Sony the form follows the function, but with the Oly the form is designed to attract people who hanker after their old SLR. This was obviously a clever marketing move, as the sales probably show, but it does have some drawbacks. Nikon has done a similar thing with its V2 which now looks like a DSLR. I haven't seen one yet but it obviously won't go in your pocket which is daft for a small sensor camera.

It's like BMW designed the Mini to evoke nostalgia - as Fiat did with the new 500 - because they knew it would sell. But there are some drawbacks to the old shapes as you find out when you compare these cars with the more modern competition.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: oh FFS enough already