Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Interesting Fact.................

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111553 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2012 - 4:12 PM

.....................of the day. Well I think it was anyway Tongue

‘Pillars of Creation’ Photo Was Captured When Pillars Were Already Long Gone

pillarsofcreation-mini.jpg

Captured on April 1, 1995 by the Hubble Telescope, the photograph Pillars of Creation is one of the most famous space images ever made. Here’s a crazy fact though: did you know that the “pillars” seen in the photo were already long gone by the time the image was captured? Astronomers have concluded that the pillars — which measure up to 4 light years in length — were destroyed about 6,000 years ago by the shock wave from a supernova. Because of how long it takes light to travel across such vast distances, we can currently see the shock waves approaching the pillars but won’t actually see their destruction for another thousand years or so!

From PetaPixel

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Feb 2012 - 4:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
franken e2 Member 123143 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2012 - 4:30 PM

It's fascinating really as we all tend to think what we see is instant and in reality nothing is.

You look at the moon and you see what it was like a second or so earlier. Light from the sun takes about 8 minutes to reach Earth.

I'm looking at my computer screen and my brain thinks it's in real time and for all intents and purposes it is as the light from it is travelling at about 186,000 miles per second but there is in fact a minute fraction of a second before it reaches my eyes.

Light from the nearest star to us takes about 5 years to reach us.

Even light from Mars takes about 20 minutes.

FlashBangPicture

fascinating but almost incomprehensible

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43954 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2012 - 4:51 PM

Quote: Fascinating but almost incomprehensible

Almost? More like totally...and totally fascinating...

Andy_Cundell
11 Feb 2012 - 5:07 PM

I just love 3 X 10 to the power of 8!Grin

Mrserenesunrise
Mrserenesunrise e2 Member 350 forum postsMrserenesunrise vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2012 - 6:45 PM

Fascinating, but has the image won an EC or an HC Smile

Tim

Last Modified By Mrserenesunrise at 11 Feb 2012 - 6:46 PM
macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
11 Feb 2012 - 7:04 PM

Nonsense!

Light is instantaneous, but TIME travels at 186,000 miles/second faster than light.

It's all relative GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

Last Modified By macroman at 11 Feb 2012 - 7:05 PM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2012 - 9:26 PM

Quote: destroyed about 6,000 years ago by the shock wave from a supernova. Because of how long it takes light to travel across such vast distances, we can currently see the shock waves approaching the pillars but won’t actually see their destruction for another thousand years or so!

I have alway thought our Earth years where to short......!!!

But its just a " Theory " of mine....Smile

sitan1
sitan1  6500 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Feb 2012 - 11:21 PM

Can't they just use a faster shutter speed.
An extra stop will half it to 500 years.
Upping the iso should knock another few hundred years off.
Bloody hell why didn't they put me in charge Tongue

lawbert
lawbert  71714 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2012 - 11:30 PM

Totally fascinating....
But all that tech and maths and a Tetris Piece left in the top right....Or was it a Lens cap part removedTongue

mikesavage
mikesavage  12240 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2012 - 11:45 PM

The reason for the inverted black 'L' shape at the top right is that image data are recorded there apparently - things like the celestial coordinates of the frame centre, start & finish of the exposure, orientation of the spacecraft, image number - omitting whether or not the flash fired! Wink

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104043 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2012 - 9:23 AM

It's where they've blanked out the alien space craft they didn't want us to see.

Or that's what the conspiracy theorists would say. Grin

macroman
12 Feb 2012 - 2:05 PM

Now you've started something!

polis_928tadw59

Right then, I'll finish...... When you consider the millions of stars in our galaxy(apart from me, that is)and the millions and billions of stars throughout the universe, we are not just on planet earth to live and take photographs. There must be other things waiting for us in the dark blue yonder. I hope I end up on planet EPZ with all you happy lot.Grin Just had a thought though, it would be like Groundhog Day.Wink

macroman
12 Feb 2012 - 2:16 PM

Oh crikey! He's found his way here now! Sad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.