Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Internet security paid v free

19 Mar 2010 7:24PM
just come to the end of my norton sub cant decide to renew or go for free stuff if you go for example mcafee or norton or any other well known brand are you better protected than using free stuff

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2010 7:31PM
A great unknown!! It's like paying for house/car/camera insurance! I am using AVG Business Edition on my work laptop (which my firm pays for). Mrs Scutter uses the AVG freebie and so far has had no problem (and she really spends hours on the internet ...................mostly shopping Sad)
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
19 Mar 2010 7:39PM
Well you just have to look at AVGs site, It shows what you get for the freebie compared to the paid for versions.

Same applies to Avast ( One I prefer to AVG because your not plagued with advertising )

On a personal note I'd avoid freebies, Unless its for a spare machine, Where it does not matter that much anyhow.

For mission critical systems, Paid for is by far the safest option.

Kaspersky 2010 is my current flavour, Kaspersky has been a good option for several years, Especially the KIS version ( Kaspersky Internet Security ).

That said a freebie AV is better than nothing at all.......Wink
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
19 Mar 2010 7:44PM
I've used PC tools anti virus free addition for some time and it is really good. It has had some great reviews.

http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

Can't do links

Ken
19 Mar 2010 7:57PM
thanks for replies tried to download trial of of kaspersky but it would not install just prompted to reboot all the time
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2010 8:17PM
You could always give Prevx a whirl

I also have the link to the Norton complete removal tool if you decide to venture elsewhere

Adrian
User_Removed 7 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2010 8:21PM
Another happy AVG user. Binned Norton when it expired.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
19 Mar 2010 8:22PM
Avast for me
guidoa e2
13 1.4k United Kingdom
19 Mar 2010 8:24PM
On to-days Working Lunch on BBC2 which can be seen online, some expert from ZDnet (I think) dealt with this question and his unequivocal advice was to get rid of the paid IS, and use either AVG free or Microsoft Essentials.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
19 Mar 2010 8:40PM

Quote:On a personal note I'd avoid freebies, Unless its for a spare machine, Where it does not matter that much anyhow

For the spare machines the kids use, linux ubuntu (latest version) there`s not really a virus issue with this platform, its fast even on slow machines and recognises both windows xp and windows 7 64 bit on the network.

Using Kasperksy on my XP but this refuses to work on my windows 7 machine so that`s loaded with AVG (free)
blackbird e2
8 159 15 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2010 8:54PM
I used AVG until a couple of years ago then switched to Avast, happy with both
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
19 Mar 2010 11:35PM

Quote: tried to download trial of of kaspersky

Have heard that on some occasions the downloaded versions can corrupt during download.

Just to make sure we are talking Kaspersky Internet Security 2010......Wink

You may need to try several times to get a copy that actually works properly.

If you get a good download it should be precisely 74.6Mb in size, Anything else might be a duff copy......Sad

Why do I know so much on this, Over the last few weeks I have loaded over six machines for other people, I was using a disc version, But during the install was advised to download the latest version........Smile

Apart from that, Its all been absolutely perfect, The machines in question where running a mix of Windows OS including XP/Vista/Win 7, the later in bothe 32bit and 64bit versions, The machine where also a mixed bag of Desktp & Laptop units, In the case of one laptop an ancient IBM thinkpad......!!!!!

So if your still keen to try Kaspersky, It should work if you get a clean download.

During the same period loaded a free version of AVG on an ancient custom machine, One that I knocked together out of spares several years ago, However the Interface and constant bombardment with advertising was a real pain........Sad

Then I ran a copy of the AVAST free Home version on same machine......Now thats better, Load and forget basically.

Know of at least a dozen other users running Avast free home version.......!!!!

All very happy bunnies indeed......Wink
PSILVERMAN e2
10 1.3k England
20 Mar 2010 5:58AM
Very happy with Norton 360. Does the job for me.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
20 Mar 2010 6:12AM
Norton is fine for high powered PC's, but brings old ones like mine to a virtual standstill. I use Microsoft, and do regular maintenance of the systems, and it works OK.
mlewis e2
10 1.5k United Kingdom
20 Mar 2010 7:37AM
I am happy with Microsoft Security Essentials which is free and lightweight.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.