Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Into the sun?

Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
4 Dec 2012 10:39PM
Not here I'm in far north of Scotland, it's Snowing heavens high **** knows how I'll get back tomorrow! ( rear wheel drive up a scottish mountain is an experience) Not used grads for about 6 months!! There again not done any landscapes for about... Oh 6 months, must correct that soon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
4 Dec 2012 10:41PM
me neither really - did a bit of coastal stufff when not drunk in northumberland

went to malham with RichSR - was bloody cold, but quite exceptional clouds
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
4 Dec 2012 10:50PM
Not that b****y tree again Wink wouldn't catch me doing that Wink was in Glasgow last night gave up after 5 mins, was hoping to get something in Cairngorms today, but not even I was that daft - tho came very close saw a brilliant composition, old cottage, snow on roof, river running by, and snow covered mountains as backdrop. Then i thought I'm 30 miles from civilisation, rear wheel drive, no sensible out door clothes.

I must be getting old
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
4 Dec 2012 10:56PM
he insisted.... Wink

in fact, he'd not seen a lot of that area, so was just doing a whistle stop tour. as in, stop, shoot over the fence with the 70-200 (both of us) then move on... did that lots, must have stopped 10-15 times for little shoots... was in scalebar for about 20 minutes, tops.

wish I'd taken the 500mm - getting into 500mm landscapes, they're very odd... everything compressed, flattened....

sounds like you're losing it - I'd be out in my string vest, a-la Rab C Nesbitt Wink
Mozzytheboy e2
4 701 3 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2012 8:41AM

Quote:Forget pseudo HDR, really for HDR you need a dedicated programme like Photomatix, the HDR in Photoshop CS5 is OK too.

But for landscapes, learn how to use filters, the discipline of slowing down, thinking what you are doing will only help you. TBH they are easy to use, place the grad on the horizon ( I know someone will say you dont always place it on the horizon, but this is to help someone new to filters) whilst looking through the viewfinder. Honestly you will get the hang of it straight away.

It's the old saying walk before you run.

I can't spell Pseudo either. Where are my tablets?
DOGSBODY 6 1.4k 30 England
6 Dec 2012 7:42PM
As has been suggested already it is best to get the exposure you want in camera, but, if you use Photoshop or Elements it is sometimes surprising how much detail you can bring out in the dark areas of a picture by using the Shadows and Highlights controls.
There are 3 sliders, one to lighten shadows, one to darken highlights and the third one increases contrast.
Use the shadows slider to open up the shadows and you will then probably need to increase the contrast a little.
In Elements the controls can be found by going to Enhance - Adjust Lighting - Shadows and Highlights.
It's worth a try, you have nothing to lose and you may be able to get an acceptable result.
Mozzytheboy e2
4 701 3 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2012 7:49PM
Thanks DB, Oddly I found that today in my Elements. I tried it selecting but found that at 100% layer too definite and you could see where I tried to bring up the ground whilst say leaving the sky untouched. It did work better working on a layer of all the image. It certainly works well though as you say. Oh boy, more to play with and enjoySmile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.