Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Intrusive apostrophes

alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 2:57PM
I know, I know, I know, I'm a grumpy old git, but am I the only one on here that hates the intrusive apostrophe? People, plurals only need to have an S added unless there's a Y in there where you substitute ie for y. So tiger and tigers, partridge and partridges, irony and ironies. You only need an apostrophe if you are adding the s to denote the possessive. So "the tiger's prey," or "the partridges' dislike for snow," when there's more than one partridge. Its and it's break the rules of course. It's the tiger and its prey.
Oh dear, oh dear, next I'll be bellyaching about "I was sat," when you mean "I was sitting," or "I was stood," when you mean, "I was standing." To say, "I was sat," implies you were placed in that seat by someone. But then I lie down, I certainly only "Lay down" wine.
Grump, grump, grump.Grin
Alan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

wrinkles e2
6 351 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 3:04PM
You seem in a buggers muddle to me.Wink
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 3:06PM
day stoppt teechin dis stuff in da 70s I fink dunno bout apostrafeez but lees we kood spel proppa bak in va day an wen to yooz a ful stop
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 3:10PM
I was always taught the rule was "bung one if you feel like it, after all you can' always pretend its' just a mark where your pen slipped".

Quote:You seem in a buggers muddle to me.Wink

Or should that be bugger's muddle?
oldblokeh e2
3 925 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 3:19PM
Add me to the Grumpy Old Gits Club. One of the English teachers at the school at which I work says "Mr Blokeh, English is an evolving language."

My reply to this is that there are some mutations that should be destroyed at birth.

One point I would add to your post, Alan, is that possessive "its" has no apostrophe.
alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 3:20PM

Quote:I was always taught the rule was "bung one if you feel like it, after all you can' always pretend its' just a mark where your pen slipped".

Well maybe when you're using a ballpoint, but it doesn't work with a keyboard Grin

Grumpy old git - me I mean.
alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 3:22PM

Quote:Add me to the Grumpy Old Gits Club. One of the English teachers at the school at which I work says "Mr Blokeh, English is an evolving language."

My reply to this is that there are some mutations that should be destroyed at birth.

One point I would add to your post, Alan, is that possessive "its" has no apostrophe.

Quite agree in full it would be "It is the tiger and its prey." That's what I typed.

Alan
rhol2 e2
3 320 1 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 3:31PM
I quite agree,I also dislike apostrophised plurals..

There were some instances reported in the Press recently when certain local authorities decided to leave out apostrophes on certain street names, so, for example, St. James's Road became St. James Road.

Some say that we do not need apostrophes at all, but to denote the possessive,however, without them I would think that there might be problems in distinguishing singular and plural cases, as you suggest.

Similarly, with "sat" and" sitting,", "stood" and "standing", wrong usage simply sounds ugly..

I don't consider myself a "grumpy old git", but try to be open minded..however, I do bear in mind that one can be so open-minded that one's brains fall out.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
26 Jan 2013 3:38PM
I try to be careful where I stick my apostrophe! Wink
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
26 Jan 2013 3:51PM
Is that
Alansnap, alansnap or Alan Snap?
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 4:05PM
English lessons now eh.

....not healthy having your head up your arse ... trust me Smile
26 Jan 2013 4:11PM
Get a life..
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
26 Jan 2013 4:16PM
I am (or: I'm, if you prefer) a member of epz in order to have my images assessed and critiqued, not the use or mis-use of apostrophes.

Try here instead.

Malc
oldblokeh e2
3 925 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 4:29PM

Quote:That's what I typed.

Another thing that makes me grumpy is that I need new reading glasses.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.