Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Ipad any good for editing on the move and displaying?

danfrier 3 23 England
23 Aug 2012 1:16PM
I'm considering getting an ipad instead of a graphics tablet just because of all the other features like internet, apps etc. And I'm pretty sure a graphics tablet would be best for dedicated editing use but I'd be willing to trade off a little on the ergonomics if the Ipad is a viable alternative for editing, any thoughts?

Thanks Dan.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
23 Aug 2012 1:26PM
Two different items, 2 different purposes.

I do use Ipad for casual editing, plenty of apps for that.
danfrier 3 23 England
23 Aug 2012 1:37PM

Quote:Two different items, 2 different purposes.

I do use Ipad for casual editing, plenty of apps for that.

I presume they are pretty basic then?
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
23 Aug 2012 1:38PM
I use a 'new iPad'. The apps are mainly quite basic, however some are quite usable such as Laminar and iPhoto. Many don't have layers and some such as photoshop touch have restricted resolution because they use layers (approx just less than 5mp). So it isn't a replacement for a desktop and tablet at all for editing. As a display tool it is excellent - razor sharp and sumptuous colour. Images look impressive and it looks professional, Especially as I use a brandable portfolio app.

I am welded to my iPad (yes, it is quite sad) but it does free me from the desk almost completely and I think it was a great purchase. I did have to shell out for iPhoto, Pages, Numbers (17, but cheaper if you find an itunes voucher deal) along with loads of free apps. You can dump images from your camera onto it and review them while out and about if you get a 5 adaptor (30 for an apple one) or somehow wifi tether it.

I get new free apps and delete old ones almost ever day and you get some great quality games free although technically I am not a game fan, although the iPad's convenience makes them fun.

I also regularily use it as a free live tv when not in the same room as a proper tv and for watching iplayer, on demand tv etc ...
hollkj e2
10 187 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2012 1:45PM
As coleslaw states: different items for different purposes.

I'd say only viable if you make general adjustments. Anything thats needs any degree of local accuracy is particulaly painful as you need to zoom in to a scale relative to the size of your fingers. Display is also not colour managed, unless you run a standalone viewing app such as that available for Spyder colorimeters.

Although I have an Ipad III, and use it far more than my PC (for internet, mail etc.), for editing I always use the PC as my editing is far quicker and accurate using a graphics tablet..
danfrier 3 23 England
23 Aug 2012 1:47PM
Yeh thats kinda what i was thinking to be honest, thanks for the insight monster I think I need both the Ipad and a graphics tablet, I best work a few overtime shifts I reckon!
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
23 Aug 2012 2:03PM
Yes danfrier, I LOVE my intuos 4 ... Editing is sooo much better than with a mouse .... Oh and if you do want to do any editing on an iPad get a stylus. I use a soft, round tipped one from Poundland and it does a great job.
danfrier 3 23 England
23 Aug 2012 2:14PM
Nice one monster appreciate that Wink
sausage 10 267 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2012 6:25PM
And, the iPad has an enhanced screen - contrast, colour etc. What you see on that isn't necessarily what you would see on any other monitor/printer etc.
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
23 Aug 2012 7:42PM

Quote:And, the iPad has an enhanced screen - contrast, colour etc. What you see on that isn't necessarily what you would see on any other monitor/printer etc.

Not just iPad - Apple products generally. Possibly more so now that retina dispays are becoming more common.

It's why we see so many apparently shitey images on here from Apple users. Their photographs do, indeed, genuinely look great on their own screen - but when any of us "normal" mortals view them on our own displays, they lack that certain something. What is ultimately important is that the image looks the same on a screen as it does as a print - and I guess that the more savvy of the Apple users do cross-calibrate to achieve this. But how many unsuspecting folk have been lured into spending three times more than they have to on an Apple product by the superb graphics on display in the Apple Store (or even John Lewis's)?
randomrubble 10 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2012 7:56PM
I would point you to this review of the iPad screen by a fairly experienced reviewer & printer...

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/03/2012-ipad-part-i.html
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
23 Aug 2012 8:06PM
I am sure LF can tell which photos are from apple users...amazing.
23 Aug 2012 9:11PM
"the new iPad display looks fabulous. After running it through a custom profiling in Air Display with ColorMunki, it looks even better"
That's just the same with any display, custom profiling improves your workflow.
The big problem is it does not improve everyone else's - and the number of people viewing your image on a properly profiled monitor will be small Sad
danfrier 3 23 England
24 Aug 2012 7:03AM
Thanks for all the feed back folks.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.