Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Ipad image order after upload

TNP 6 41 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 2:35PM
Just experienced an annoying anomaly with uploading images to Ipad from computer and they being displayed in “random” order despite having consecutive file names. Investigation on Apple forum suggests that it orders by taken date. Not very helpful.

Have deleted images from pad, the cache and renamed but still order “incorrect”. No way of changing order within Ipad that I can see.

Considering one of the many benefits of Ipad is its display for presentation, then basic ordering of an album contents seems bare minimum.

Anyone aware of a fix or even an App?

Thanks for getting to the end.

Tim

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 3:14PM
Change the file dates on the computer then transfer the files. That should be doable (unless the computer is also from Apple in which case you might need to take it to the Apple store and pay for someone to do it)
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
16 Jul 2012 4:47PM
Although they generally cost money you could get a portfolio app. I use Portfolio Pro which is a multi folder brandable portfolio app.
KONIN e2
3 252 England
16 Jul 2012 6:02PM
i hate this annoying thing my ipad does so i asked an apple employee and he said thats just the way it is,the reason is iso 5 before that it loaded them one aftre the other now it lists them in numerical order so all the no 10 pics are in a row then all the no 36 pics and so on ,really annoying.steve jobs did not build apple on the attitude "thats the way it is"Sad
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 10:25PM

Quote:Although they generally cost money you could get a portfolio app. I use Portfolio Pro which is a multi folder brandable portfolio app.

Sounds like a solution to me.
lobsterboy e2
17 Jul 2012 8:13AM

Quote:steve jobs did not build apple on the attitude "thats the way it is"

Ohh, I think that is precisly how he built Apple. He didn't put floppy drives in the Imac, put no drives in the air, refused to run flash on iOS, etc,etc. He built it on giving people what he thought they should have not what they asked for.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2012 12:31PM
I always thought that was one of the selling points of the apple approach, they work out what their customers want (or decide for them) and that is what you get, while for Windows etc, you get the flexibility but the assumption is made you can work out for yourself what you want.
Carrera_c 5 271 3 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2012 1:17PM
This is a bit of a thread hijack but I had to put my 2p worth on this note....

Quote:Ohh, I think that is precisly how he built Apple. He didn't put floppy drives in the Imac, put no drives in the air, refused to run flash on iOS, etc,etc. He built it on giving people what he thought they should have not what they asked for.

You kind of just lost your own argument here. If Apple used the "that's the way it is" attitude then they would have went with what everyone else was doing, why? Because that's the way it is!

They looked ahead, floppy drives were left out of the iMac because even back then they saw them as a dieing format.
No drives on the Air makes sense when you're trying to make the damn thing as thin as you can. And seeing as nowadays everything is available as a download how important are drives now anyway? USB, cloud, and NAS storage have taken over.
As for flash, I've always hated flash, it was a solution to do what people wanted to do at the time but is was never very efficient, and was often quite buggy. Even the mobile devices that do support it have a lot of issues. When you are aiming your product at non-technical users you won't want to risk them getting upset over a buggy interface that you can't control (flash websites) and with HTML5 coming of age why would you waste all the time and effort trying to iron out all the kinks of something that's soon going to be a legacy technology?

If anything Apple have always looked to the road ahead, this is why Steve Jobs is widely regarded as one of the great innovators of our time. If anyone doesn't agree with this and still thinks that Apple are telling there users what they want instead of listening, take a look at the history of IBM, they tried that and it nearly crushed the company. Last time I checked Apple were doing pretty well.

Anyway, back to the original thread, I hate the photo app on the iPad as well, it's lack of sorting is a total pain in the butt. I'd go with a 3rd party app. I never found a satisfactory way to solve the standard photo app.
lobsterboy e2
17 Jul 2012 1:43PM

Quote:If anyone doesn't agree with this and still thinks that Apple are telling there users what they want instead of listening

Of course they do. None of their recent products owe anything to market research or listening to their users. They owe it instead to a vision of simplicity and design. the one thing they proved is that you cannot take too much notice of focus groups and listening to your users, instead if you build a better mousetrap then it will sell.
With Flash if you asked users if they wanted to be able to see all the web or just some of it, I'm pretty sure most would say all..yet not supporting it didn't do Apple any harm.
Take the iPad, for years all the reasearch had shown that people wanted to use a pen rather than a keyboard. Steve J just decided that everyone who couldn't type was going to die out anyway, so that problem would solve it's self. With the iPhone, when asked people said they preffered a tactile keyboard over the on screen keyboard..yet they turned out to change their minds when they came to it.

Quote:If anything Apple have always looked to the road ahead

Exactly and very few users can even begin to grasp the idea of what is possible till they see it, so there is no use asking them till you have made it. That's Stevie J's really clever idea.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
17 Jul 2012 1:52PM
Yawn..........Tongue
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2012 1:55PM
I think the flash issue was more with Apple killing off an alternative source of developing and selling apps plus trying to stop Adobe competing. Using Flash sites on computers and an Android I have to say what is the technical problem with Flash (apart from some of the content being pointless animations). Flash was ready for iOS but apple actively cut it out in their battle with Adobe.

What is good for the market (and users) are a set of applications that can be developed in one application environment and distributed across various platforms with the minimum of platform specific development and testing.

Apple are not as forward looking as you say for example blue Ray compatibility, and they have not always followed the best interconnectivity path. The lack of memory card interfaces and a standard mini USB plug on the iPad being another example.
17 Jul 2012 2:31PM

Quote:instead if you build a better mousetrap then it will sell.

Might sell a few but the majority of people will still buy the cheaper ones.

Apple started banging on about their mousetrap being better in the 80's. Remember the famous 1984 advert. It's 2012 and Windows machines still dominate. Samsung outsell them in smartphones. Android is constantly eroding the market share of iOS. I reckon that long term Apple are going to be like Sony standing by the Betamax VCR while loads of other manufacturers produce VHS (Android)
lobsterboy e2
17 Jul 2012 2:42PM

Quote:I reckon that long term Apple are going to be like Sony standing by the Betamax VCR while loads of other manufacturers produce VHS (Android)

or alternativly, like Microsoft sticking with Windows whilst everyone else uses Unix variants... which worked out well for them for a few years.
17 Jul 2012 4:05PM
Microsoft sticking with Windows doesn't seem to have damaged their marketshare in the same way Sony's Betmax did?

You've kind of missed the point, because it's not the way to compare.

Think of it like this:
Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Toshiba, Asus, Acer, HP etc etc etc - VHS Windows
Apple - BetaMac OSx
lobsterboy e2
17 Jul 2012 4:54PM
But why choose that way to compare.
Microsoft ploughed their own furrow whilst the also-rans gather together round unix for strength.
Now Apple do the same with iOS and the also-rans gather together round Android for strength.

Openness and standards only seem to be popular amongst the losers...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.