Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Ipad image order after upload

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
User_Removed
17 Jul 2012 - 8:42 PM

Quote: Openness and standards only seem to be popular amongst the losers

Great theory, but one big flaw - Android is winning not losing.

june-2012-us-smartphone-os-share-final.jpg

Last Modified By User_Removed at 17 Jul 2012 - 8:44 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Jul 2012 - 8:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2012 - 10:24 PM

But the Android figure is lots of manufacturers and models added together compared to one phone from one manufacturer.
It's a group of losers banding together for strength.

Reminds me so much of the graphs open-source zealots used to show me 10 years ago to prove that Windows was losing...

User_Removed
17 Jul 2012 - 10:57 PM

Quote: But the Android figure is lots of manufacturers and models added together

pmsl, it was the SAME with VHS and it was that system which won the format war! Tell me again how Android is losing.

By the way Samsung alone outsell Apple. Tell me again how Android is losing.

If for some bizarre reason you want to talk about individual models then this year's best selling phone is the Galaxy S3.

Tell me again how Android is losing.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jul 2012 - 12:48 AM

An interesting different set of view points gents. Does the following chart help?
smart-phone-by-brand.jpg
I guess HTC and LG are the major missing others. Certainly Samsung and Apple look to be the clear winners with Samsung begin the dominant company and Nokia plus Blackberry facing a disaster. I guess the Samsung offerings are all Android so it is a massive gain for them

Some interesting reads but I have to admit to not knowing which, if either of them, really have their finger on the pulse.

TomiAhonen Blog
Computer Business Review

So I view Android as a good bet and not the losers group but who knows. Also from that I do not think you can say the iPhone is loosing. I would see it as Apple have identified a market, established a good share and gathering even more market share as the market expands. I was going to say given their pricing they probably make more money than Samsung in this market but then I think Samsung supply a lot of the key components for the iPhone.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jul 2012 - 6:55 AM

Quote: Tell me again how Android is losing.

I notice you carefully picked smartphones, not tablets or tablets and smartphones together....

I'll be convinced about the betamax analogy when I start seeing apps that have "available now for Android, IOS coming soon" on them rather than the other way round. Or a major Android release gets the publicity Apple do for a minor upgrade Wink

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 18 Jul 2012 - 8:12 AM
strawman
18 Jul 2012 - 9:57 AM

The following is tablet specific and yes iOS looks very dominant but as you can see the tablet market is less mature. It does surprise me a bit as I feel the Android tablets running ICS @ 300 are far better than the iPad for screens web browsing and inter-connectivity. iPad3 raises the screen game again, but it also raises the price so its a question of at what price will the mass market jump in.

But no doubts the iPad is a good product and has its fans. I was going to get an iPad2 till I tried the alternatives.

Windows is the other gorilla in the room I guess, is it able to compete??

From a personal point of view I would like a mass of manufactures going forwards with Kindle rather than MS or Apple ruling the roost because of the control of content and other issues. Its not healthy for one company to dominate, whether it is apple, Amazon, Google or MS.

But no doubt Apple have an excellent position in smart phones and tablets. But it is also true that in a 5 year window companies can go from dominant to disaster, look at Nokia, and perhaps also watch for MS. I get the impression that Windows 8 will be vital for the future of MS, they need this next tablet/phone OS to succeed.

As for comparing the number of phones and tablets, from what I can find Samsung is reputed to have shipped 32M smart phones last year, if that is around 20% then 150M smart phones per year sold. 68M tablets sold so about 210M tablets and smart phones?? But look at the projected growth, no wonder Windows are pushing the Windows 8 offering.

Last Modified By strawman at 18 Jul 2012 - 10:24 AM
User_Removed
18 Jul 2012 - 10:49 AM

Quote: I notice you carefully picked smartphones, not tablets or tablets and smartphones together....

I'm not stupid! Grin

Apple have a huge head start on tablets, they can only continue to lose market share in that market.

The smartphone market is a lot bigger. The tablet market has the most growth to come. Cheap Chinese Android tablets will mean Android first for apps. In the huge far Eastern markets people look for value-for-money, they won't pay a premium to have an Apple logo on the back they only want to surf Facebook and watch YouTube videos.

Long term my money is on Windows 8 and the Surface tablet. Microsoft tying desktop, phone and tablet together. Apple aren't going to do that which I think is a HUGE mistake. If they don't change course in five years they'll go the way Nokia went.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 18 Jul 2012 - 10:53 AM
lobsterboy
18 Jul 2012 - 11:01 AM

Quote: My money is on Windows 8 and the Surface tablet. Microsoft tying desktop, phone and tablet together.

Possibly - that would fit in with history:
Someone invents something (usually in the open source world and it runs from a command line)
Apple come along and package it all pretty like
Microsoft come along and do it properly Tongue

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 18 Jul 2012 - 11:01 AM
davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72345 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
18 Jul 2012 - 3:22 PM

Windows 8 does look really interesting...but i'm unsure how the public will react to such a change in interface. Upgrading is said to be cheap and available for anyone running XP or later (which i'm happy about). My stance on this stuff usually is to wait till the first service pack is released before jumping in.

I can see how it would work well on a touch screen device, not sure about how productive it will be on a desktop.

In regards to mac, there OS is getting more and more uniform across all platforms...and our stats show that usage of their devices are growing, unlike microsoft OS devices.

All in all, it's an exciting time in technology Smile

strawman
18 Jul 2012 - 6:53 PM

David how many people are now using the site on tablets/phones? I found the recent site update made using the site on a tablet a lot better.

User_Removed
18 Jul 2012 - 7:18 PM

Quote: In regards to mac, there OS is getting more and more uniform across all platforms

It might have a similar look but it's not the same thing. They've got OSX on the desktops and laptops and iOS on the phones and the tablets. You can't run the same software on both. Windows 8 will be the same on both. Lower powered phones or tablets will use a cut down version at first but as they get more powerful they will all use the same.

Touch is going to be great on the desktop. Imagine flicking through epz portfolios on your big PC monitor, rubbing things out in Photoshop with your fingers.

keith selmes
18 Jul 2012 - 8:05 PM

I'll get arm ache instead of mouse hand ache and I'll get fingermarks all over my screen Sad

keith selmes
18 Jul 2012 - 8:47 PM

Ipad does have the head start, as it's the product people have heard about and seen, and it is very nice, so people wanting a tablet usually just say "Ipad". For the moment it's like "hoover" and vacuum cleaner. However I don't think that will last.

Someone did come in today and say "everyone is getting an Ipad".
I don't think so. I think it most likely the corporate bean counters will stamp on that one, and pretty soon people who want an Ipad for work, rather than Android, will need to make a business case.

In the consumer/end user market, I expect the majority of smartphone users have android, and if they buy a tablet, will want one with the same system and the same apps. They didn't buy iphone, so they probably won't buy ipad.

Sales projections I've seen suggest android tablet devices will be ahead by 2015, it would not surprise me if it's sooner.

Windows has probably had it on mobile, except for some corporates and business individuals who want desktop compatibility, which is probably what MS are aiming at. Apart from that I get a feeling MS are playing desperate catch up.

I wouldn't bet the farm on any of the above, but it seems most likely.

At a meeting today there was one Motorola Xoom2, one Galaxy Note, and no Ipads.
I think phones were 50-50 iphone and android. If nothing else, the "everyone is getting an Ipad" might be a widespread perception, but it isn't really happening.

keith selmes
18 Jul 2012 - 8:54 PM

Quote: the Android figure is lots of manufacturers and models added together

That would be like Windows on the desktop, and I don't think PC manufacturers are a "group of losers".

lobsterboy
18 Jul 2012 - 8:59 PM

Quote: I get a feeling MS are playing desperate catch up.

Possibly but then they have never been first in to any market and yet they have still done OK in lots of different markets.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.