Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

ipad mini v the rest

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
youmightlikethis
youmightlikethis e2 Member 11987 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
2 Nov 2012 - 8:31 PM

is the i pad mini a better product than the competition eg kindle fire nook google nexus 7

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Nov 2012 - 8:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson

only you can decide that, they all do the same thing.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 8:46 PM

I think its too soon for anyone to make a definitive answer.

I have the standard iPad and love it, but would I buy it again?

I don't know, the Android OS has improved leaps and bounds - the no of apps has increased, and now Google (Nexus), and Amazon (Kindle Fire?) have entered the market not to mention Samsung Galaxy. I'm not convinced the iPad is worth the extra - but as I said I've no complaints whatsoever with the standard iPad.

sut68
sut68  101994 forum posts England76 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 9:29 PM

Got the Nexus 7 myself and am pretty happy with it so far, does what I need and quite effortlessly too. Actual tablet apps are on the increase too, but there are a lot of scaled up phone apps too, this is where Apple has the advantage. The iPad mini sounds like a great piece of kit and will readily run the current crop of iPad apps ... but I don't like being tied into iTunes and is it really worth 100 more than the Nexus? Hmm, not so sure about that, only you can decide!!!

Lot to be said for Apple kit - use it everyday at work, but being tied in so much just irks me!!!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 10:01 PM

Are tablets with smaller screens becoming more popular, i.e. around 7" rather than 10" ?

I am wondering whether to get a tablet but, quite apart from the choice of manufacturer, there are the pros and cons of screen sizes.

Also are most of them available with 3G/4G?

KevSB
KevSB  101387 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 10:07 PM

Depends what you want it for CB, I use it like I am now to read websites ect, books ect and would struggle with a 7 inch screen. I only use it when I'm away as a sat nav but if I was using every time I went out in the car the iPad as a sat nav would be to big , horses for courses

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 10:08 PM

Just to add, what will you use it for? for me its mainly email and internet - there's not that many apps I use, Facebook, Twitter, 500px, BBC news that's about it (there again I still have about 100 apps downloaded that I rarely use). So if your like me I don't think you will have a problem, no matter which system you go with.

My mother in law is getting the Nexus 7 tomorrow, so should be able to let you know what that's like.

One thing the10" screen on the standard iPad is a bit big for Kindle - its al ittle big to hold comfortably (I managed to get a cheap Kindle at Manchester airport for 40 - I use that as much as iPad now, you can even browse internet etc, tho not great for that)

Last Modified By Nick_w at 2 Nov 2012 - 10:11 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 10:11 PM

I have a Kindle for ebooks. I would mainly be checking and writing email, and checking and posting on EPZ (and searching with Google, Wikipedia etc).

I do have a 'smartphone' but I find it too fiddly to do anything more than just the checking bit.

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 10:28 PM

Quote: Is the i pad mini a better product than the competition eg kindle fire nook google nexus 7

Compared to the nexus7, I doubt it, the kindle perhaps. It depends what you want to do. It is a smaller iPad2, so if you want the apple product then you will buy it.

The Kindle is great if you want a device for playing films etc, but its version of Android has been tinkered with and I think that limits it compared to the Nexus .
As a general purpose portable computing device I would expect it to be between the ipad mini or the nexus7, so unless you have an apple specific killer app that is not on the Android OS then you have to say on paper the nexus looks its equal or better and the nexus costs a whole lot less. Till we get our hands on one it is speculation.
For books I would say an eink reader device is superior to all these devices for the display alone. Factor in the longer reading life and its a winner.

I think the mini will take sales from people who were already going to get an iPad, and I can see why Jobs was against such a device. Its advantage it will run the iPad2 apps just on a smaller screen. Its disadvantage well its price and its a less open system.

As for me, well I bought a tablet for "sofa" browsing, its the spare Tv alternative, it allows fast access to the internet, and it runs applications and is easy to take with you on a trip. But I bought a 10" one as its better for sofa use, makes it easier for sharing photo's and slides in small meetings, in fact I now use mine as a laptop alternative for small meetings as you can type notes and share powerpoint slides etc. The 7" ones are a bit in the neither fish nor foul category for me, too big for the jacket pocket and to be a phone, but not quite big enough for the uses a I mention.

Having said that I have configured a 7 for someone and its a good bit of kit, so if you travel on buses and trains a lot it may well work for you. The latest version of the Nexus 7 has a 3G card option and costs about the same as the wifi only apple. most of the low cost ones are wifi only, and for sofa type use that is fine.

Nick_w
2 Nov 2012 - 10:37 PM

Quote: I can see why Jobs was against such a device.

Yep, he wasn't one for canibalisation of his own range. It will be interesting to see how Apple will fare now, I hope for their sake its better than when he "left" the original Apple. He was many things, and apparently not the easiest of guys to get on with, but he was a genius in so many ways (I know I will get flak for that comment !! but I base that as much what he did at NextSTEP, and Pixar before rejoining Apple, a rare animal a geek that understood marketing)

sut68
sut68  101994 forum posts England76 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 10:56 PM

Quote: Having said that I have configured a 7 for someone and its a good bit of kit, so if you travel on buses and trains a lot it may well work for you. The latest version of the Nexus 7 has a 3G card option and costs about the same as the wifi only apple. most of the low cost ones are wifi only, and for sofa type use that is fine.

That's exactly how I use it John, the train journey to and from work each day and to catch up on emails when in work [via Wi-Fi]. My preference was/is to use my phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot as 3G option isn't yet available as far as I know [only bought mine on Saturday]. Even so I'd probably still work this way and save the extra 40.00 for that option Smile

strawman
2 Nov 2012 - 11:01 PM

For 7.50 a month I have spotted a phone with 500M of data and wifi hot spot capability, for those odd moments I could do with mobile internet. That it comes with enough call minutes makes it look like an easy choice. The nexus did have a lovely screen and now the OS updates to allow a portrait home screen it looks very good. I enabled it with a USA ip address and it then enables extra on the music.....

Last Modified By strawman at 2 Nov 2012 - 11:02 PM
Carabosse
2 Nov 2012 - 11:21 PM

I find mobile internet useful and wouldn't want to be dependent just on wifi.

strawman
2 Nov 2012 - 11:41 PM

Quote: I find mobile internet useful and wouldn't want to be dependent just on wifi.

From what I can see that makes an iPad mini start at 369 for 16G. Nexus 7 239 for 32G with mobile data. Its a big premium for the mini. Or to be fairer 16G Wifi prices are 269 V's 159. Adding a smart phone with WiFi hot spot might be a better solution, ok its two devices but you would have a phone with you already...... Or you could say 16G Wifi only mini or 32G WiFi and mobile internet Nexus7 plus 30 to spend on mobile data for about the same price. Its hard to pick the apple.

Its a choice. I find I do not need the mobile internet often but its my choice of use as I infrequently travel by train or bus. As ever it depends on your needs. The nexus price looks more compelling to me.

Last Modified By strawman at 2 Nov 2012 - 11:42 PM
Carabosse
3 Nov 2012 - 12:34 AM

There are just too many options! Lol! Grin

(I know it's a good thing, really. Smile)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.