Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

ipad mini v the rest

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014207 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 6:42 AM

Every now and then, we get the ad flyers and I get all worked up about these tablet gadgets, and the lower and lower prices. I think; maybe one would be nice as an ereader. Then I start researching, and I always come back to the Sony ereader, nothing beats it as a basic reader. I have bought 5 Sony ereaders to date, including 2 of the latest. Those were mostly gifts, and I'm using a Sony Pocket something or other, with a 5" screen, and nothing else; I've been using it for at least 2 years, and I have been looking for a replacement for about a year. I brought home a Kindle, and it can't hold a candle to Sony, seriously. I realise you don't have the same freedom of choice of books that I have, but I found the Kindle complicated.

Denny

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Nov 2012 - 6:42 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 101497 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 10:11 AM

I have the iPad 2 and Kindle Fire HD. I wanted something more portable than the iPad and my choice came down to Kindle Fire, Nexus or mini iPad. I discounted the mini iPad as from the research I did I took it to be a smaller version of my iPad and it was over a hundred quid dearer than the Nexus and Kindle Fire HD. After looking at the iPad mini also, it is bigger than the other two and that hinders the portability factor for me.

After that it was a toss up between the Nexus and the Kindle, my daughter has a Nexus and I found that it was ok and it would suit my needs but ultimately went for the Kindle for no other reason than I wanted something different, I'd have been happy with either product.

The wireless only option is not a problem to me as I find there are numerous coffeee shops, pubs etc that offer a wifi connectivity.

youmightlikethis
youmightlikethis e2 Member 11987 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
3 Nov 2012 - 3:10 PM

thanks for replies bought nexus7 today

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 5:05 PM

Quote: Thanks for replies bought nexus7 today

Let us know how you get on with it and what you think. Smile

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103957 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2012 - 5:00 PM

rather than starting a new thread, I found this one........

just been considering an ipad (or similar) as a replacement for my netbook (which is great but heavyish for travelling).

So many on the market...will only really use for browsing, email and viewing photos......have been looking at various IPAD2s on ebay but just wonder whether the Kindle range is just as good an option?

Have about £250 to spend....any thoughts would be appreciated.
jeff

KevSB
KevSB  101390 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2012 - 7:42 PM

Can only speak from experience using the ipad and im happy with that,I use it mainly for web, picture brousing and using Apps sometimes and it does everything I ask, The use of itunes bothered me a little before buying the ipad but have found it so easy to use.

Im finding the idiot proof that is the ipad is a plus for me, The apps avalibilty is great with so much availible both free and paid. Not something I regret buying at all, I also use it as my sat nav when travelling also with all the faciltys of a top range Sat nav and large screen to boot. Ive also used it to download books , lectures and video for reading, Watching at my leasure.

I also keep my Music collection on it, uploaded from CD and use it to also play that music through my car sterio when on long journeys

One of my best buys ever and I have the 64g3 version. altho in hindsight i would not be to bothered buying the phone version as aside from a couple weeks trying it I have had no use for.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103957 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2012 - 8:10 PM

thanks, Kev..that's useful

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2012 - 8:14 PM

I have an iPad 3 and I love it. Use it everyday.
Of course there are others like Samsung Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Note, Asus transformer etc. horses for courses really. As long as you know what they can and can't do.

cats_123
23 Dec 2012 - 9:10 PM

Quote: I have an iPad 3 and I love it. Use it everyday.
Of course there are others like Samsung Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Note, Asus transformer etc. horses for courses really. As long as you know what they can and can't do.

that's the problem really...was also not sure about size (of course, size matters!). My netbook is a 10", so would like to replicate that, but the 10" versions are touching £400. Smile

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
23 Dec 2012 - 9:46 PM

My Linux netbook has just bitten the dust after a good few years thrashing, and my better half is going to get me a tablet PC as a replacement for my birthday (6 weeks away). I've got until then to decide what to go for and at the moment I'm not sure whether to go down the Apple or Android route. I've had a play with a iPad 4 and was really impressed, but the Nexus 10 looks a good bet too although as these are currently only available from Google there is no option for a hands on trial first. I also like the look of the Asus Transformer Infinity but its a tad expensive at the moment.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2012 - 9:51 PM

For your budget, Jeff, maybe Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2012 - 8:24 AM

Like you Cole I use iPad 3 and love it (only use PC now for processing). Mother in Law has bought Nexus 7 and that too looks pretty good.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2012 - 8:39 AM

One word of warning; if you buy a Kindle Fire you are locked into Amazon world, though I have no idea how bad that is.

We have just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7" at work, as a development tablet for a driver application we are developing. So far it seems really good, plenty of power and the micro SD slot is very handy. We intend to get the 10" version for our workshop technicians.

cats_123
24 Dec 2012 - 11:53 AM

Quote: For your budget, Jeff, maybe Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

thanks, Cole...will investigate Smile

cats_123
24 Dec 2012 - 1:29 PM

The Samsung looks a good bet...have you heard of the R97..which appears to use the Google Android 4.04 processor and bench testing suggests it is faster than the Samsung....it's also cheaper

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.