Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Ipad Portfolio apps

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    monstersnowman

Just thought I would dip into the font of knowledge that is Ephotozine before choosing an Ipad app for showing off my images ... I have pretty much looked around and they come in a selection of prices and the brandable Portfolio Pro seems good at £6.99 but I wondered if any has experience of this app and any others before I do what I have never done before - and actually PAY for an app .. and pay quite a lot above the usual 69p or whatever we normally see on silly apps that swill around the app store. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Jul 2012 - 2:08 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

steve_p
    steve_p  81094 forum posts England
    3 Jul 2012 - 6:18 AM

I just use the photos app that comes with the iPad . I wouldn't pay £6.99 for something that still only shows your pictures in the same way in reality. I have tried a few of the 69p apps and most of them are, as you say, silly!

dathersmith
    3 Jul 2012 - 8:00 AM

I use Portfolio Pro and find it very good. I originally went with it as it allows wireless transfer of images from a Mac/PC but iTunes supports that now as well. It's great for showing images, can output them to a TV via a comp lead and allows you to rate and filter images as well which is handy if you've got someone trying to choose from a number of images.

Darren.

rossd
    rossd  111061 forum posts England
    3 Jul 2012 - 9:02 AM

Excuse my ignorance (I don't know much about the iPad) but since you can apparently load photos can you also edit them on the iPad using image editing software (eg Photoshop etc) or is it just a viewing platform?

thanks

strawman
    strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jul 2012 - 9:41 AM

For android you get photoshop touch so you should be able to.

Just checked it says iPad2 onwards so it is there to enjoy.

Last Modified By strawman at 3 Jul 2012 - 9:44 AM
    sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82280 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jul 2012 - 10:32 AM

I've started to experiment with portfolio pro (I was lucky enough to get it free thanks to an introductory offer with epz - thanks team). I like it. It offers more scope than the picture viewer built into the iPad - the ability to title images, and customise the display is good - also the ability to specify how long each image is displayed for in the slideshow is potentially useful. However, for the non professional user like myself, I am not sure how much benefit it actually brings. I have used my iPad to present images in the Darren describes using the default viewer app - and it worked very well. I'm not sure how Darren is using it to rate images - I can't seem to find this feature (unless its using the title lables?) - and equally in the non professional setting I can't see this being much of a benefit.

Like all apps it is reasonably priced. I think it is worth its cost - especially if you are looking to use your iPad to show images in a pro capacity. As an amature - this app is a "nice to have" rather than an "essential".

To rossd: you can get a version of PS for the iPad, but its not an app that i find very intutive to use. Certianly, it is useful for making some changes on the fly, but its not really intended as a replacement for the full version of PS.

Adam

rossd
    3 Jul 2012 - 12:31 PM

OK - thanks strawman & sherlob

monstersnowman

Thanks guys ... And to Rossd - you can edit images but the apps can be quite restricted in features. The The Adobe Touch i believe restricts the output resolution. Laminar is a well specified editing app with blending, layers, colour channels etc and I got it free a few days ago :0)

rossd
    3 Jul 2012 - 6:30 PM

Thanks monstersnowman -

currently thinking of getting an iPad so interested in this topic (although I'm still in the 'valve radio' era Smile

monstersnowman

The iPad was something I thought long and hard about, and many people question their basic usefulness ... But I can categorically say it has been a superb decision to get one. I LOVE it and it has freed me from the desk and also has become a portable TV, and a means of watching older programmes anywhere vis iplayer etc, a great research tool etc etc ... The battery life is great as well. I am more than happy with the camera and I get new free apps every day.

Go on ... You know you want to ;0)

strawman
    strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jul 2012 - 11:45 PM

Yes I bought a tablet for the same reasons plus it shows all web content, including flash content, and does other functions, for example last Friday it turned out to be a handy telemetry device for lap times. the ability to take SD cards is good too. So go on get a Tablet (other brands apart from Apple are available)

rossd
    5 Jul 2012 - 7:37 AM

Quote: Go on ... You know you want to

You're right............ had a look at one in Currys yesterday.

MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........let me think Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.