Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

ipernity - is it significantly better than Flickr?

Gundog 1 624 Scotland
18 Jul 2013 12:03PM
A number of my savvier photography friends have either already switched from Flickr to ipernity and others are about to.

I doubt if I am qualified to really compare the two services and feel a wee bit "wedded" to Flickr as our Camera Club uses it for its online competitions.

Has anyone on ePz done a really objective comparison of ipernity and Flickr and, if so, what conclusions were reached?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2013 4:16PM
I really dislike the Flickr dumbed down for mobile look and layout now. However I expect it's good for in-your-face marketing and hitting a larger audience.
If it's personal non business use, or if it's a low key 1 to 1 sort of business, definitely check out Ipernity.
I can't say I have done any in depth comparison, nor from the point of view of a photography business, but I did quickly upload a set of images to each for comparison.

Flickr looks like this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81395094@N05/sets/72157634376134565/

Ipernity looks like this
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/291973/album/434341

I believe Ipernity is hosted in the EU, under EU data rules, rather than American, which may be relevant for some people.
(I'll keep my Flickr account, but for my occasional purposes, I'm more likely to be using Ipernity)
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
18 Jul 2013 5:07PM
I signed up with Ipernity after Flickr went over to the hated 'new look' and it's very much a clone of the 'old' Flickr. Which is good. But with fewer photographers. Which isn't. Unfortunately, very few of my contacts also made the switch so, for me, it isn't really a viable alternative at the moment. And that's sad.

And, as a further incentive to keep me on Flickr, the Getty library recently selected 37 of my images for their Flickr collection. Which is nice. Wink
Coventryphotog Junior Member 1 149 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2013 6:32PM
Running both at the moment, and since the big change, hate the new Flickr, the look of it and the fact that it is a bandwidth hog - so that alone makes Ipernity better to my humble viewpoint...
robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
18 Jul 2013 10:50PM
would someone like to explain to a guy who doesnt use either of these wat they do etc.is it selling photos ?
Coventryphotog Junior Member 1 149 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2013 11:16PM
There are links to both above - why not go look.....
19 Jul 2013 12:21AM
I like Flickr's new look Blush
robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
19 Jul 2013 8:36AM
do i need to be on facebook or twitter to use either of hese sites? Smile
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2013 1:18PM

Quote: explain to a guy who doesnt use either of these wat they do etc.

Flickr and Ipernity are both hosting sites, primarily for photographic images, but also for movies, non photographic images, and even documents.
Flickr has been primarily photography, with some services aimed at professional photographers, and Ipernity is growing in that market.
I have used Flickr to share images that are not photographs and might not fit well on photo sharing sites like Ephotozine or Photo.net.
It's also handy because other people do the same thing, and there are Flickr groups for particular topics, so a shared resource grows.
And I liked the way Flickr obviously displayed licence details in a CC style , so you could quickly see if something was usable for a document, blogsite, education etc., or if it needed special permissions.

However a lot of people are now finding Flickr harder to use. It seems to have been optimised for mobile phone use and eye candy, quite pretty and eye catching, but not nearly so useful in practical terms on the desktop.

Quote:is it selling photos ?
I've assumed pro photographers would use it for displaying images to clients or prospective clients, networking with other photographers, marketing, and off line storage for safety.
19 Jul 2013 1:27PM
As a reply to the OP.

I noticed you've not posted any photos here on ePHOTOzine. Why not just upload them here rather than hunting down a flickr alternative, you've found one already.
Gundog 1 624 Scotland
19 Jul 2013 4:51PM

Quote:As a reply to the OP.

I noticed you've not posted any photos here on ePHOTOzine. Why not just upload them here rather than hunting down a flickr alternative, you've found one already.

David,

No interest in sticking my images on the internet for its own sake. But my camera club and several other societies that I belong to (photographic, cultural and sports) currently use Flickr, normally via private groups, for club or association business. Given that some of my friends who do use those photo-hosting sites more extensively seem to be opting out of Flickr and into ipernity, I was wondering if there was anything to be gained (or lost) from steering my clubs and societies in that direction. On balance, I suspect probably not.

Thanks to all those who commented.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
19 Jul 2013 6:42PM

Quote:I like Flickr's new look Blush

Ditto.

I hardly ever used Flickr before its transformation. Since the change however, I've become quite a regular.

Ipernity doesn't appeal for all the same reasons that Flickr never used to. (Obviously!)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.