Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

iPhone 5 released

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

steve_p
steve_p  81090 forum posts England
13 Sep 2012 - 6:11 AM

There's always those who like to " knock" anything new, especially if it's an apple product. Typical of this nation.
You don't have to buy something you don't like. So why go on as to why you haven't bought it?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Sep 2012 - 6:11 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MattB1987
MattB1987 e2 Member 2406 forum postsMattB1987 vcard England
13 Sep 2012 - 6:58 AM

A bit disappointed with the lack of meaningful changes but, i think the little changes will amount to a good difference and of course I am a slave of Apple products (plus im up for renewal) so I will certainly be getting one Smile
Matt

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014013 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 7:04 AM

Quote: So why go on as to why you haven't bought it?

Errrr, because the opening question is "Will you be buying one?"

Quote: A bit disappointed with the lack of meaningful changes

I don't think they are not meaningful changes - all the new bits are good upgrades, just no real surprises.
Most of the features were expected because they are either what everyone else is doing (bigger screen), reuse of existing Appleness (retina displays) and stuff we already knew about (iOS6).

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 13 Sep 2012 - 7:09 AM
MattB1987
MattB1987 e2 Member 2406 forum postsMattB1987 vcard England
13 Sep 2012 - 7:29 AM

Quote: I don't think they are not meaningful changes - all the new bits are good upgrades, just no real surprises.

I think you have worded it better, I think your right. The rumours and expected bits definitely dampened down the impact, such a cool bit of kit though Smile I wouldn't dream of having anything else from the current stable of android and windows phones, they dont seem to be able to acheive the 'x factor' of the Apple for me.

Can't wait to get one Smile

Matt

Cephus
Cephus  92123 forum posts England
13 Sep 2012 - 9:10 AM

No, but my Sister will and she will be giving me her old phone so that will be my update. GrinGrinGrinGrin

hobbs
hobbs e2 Member 101222 forum postshobbs vcard United Kingdom
13 Sep 2012 - 10:00 AM

I'll be getting one in the new year, I've presently got the 3GS so the 5 is a big leap for me. It's always worth skipping a generation or 2 with apple products as year to year upgrades are always slightly incrimental.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
13 Sep 2012 - 11:06 AM

Quote: Quite a good point made here about the slow changing design Apple is following Porsches design philosophy

So you only attract people who were attracted to the earlier one? I think Apple rely too heavily on the loyalty of their fan boys. And the word "fan" here really is appropriate - I have a friend who, every time I post something on Facebook about my phone or my PC, jumps in with "Macs are better" or "iPhones are better". Nobody else gives a **** really. Most of us use whatever is the best tool for the job we have, we don't just go on and on and on and on and on and on about how bloody brilliant Apple are....

I realise I didn't answer the original question, but I figured you can guess my answer.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 11:26 AM

My contract is due for renewal and when I upgraded from the 3 to the 4 (at renewal time) they gave me more for my old phone than the new one was going to cost. If they do the same this time I will probably upgrade, a lot depends on how the phone feels in the hand as it is a bit bigger than the 4.

I think Apple to a certain extent are victims of their own success. Because a lot of their previous releases have been spectacular and changed their target markets, people expect that to be the case all the time. However when you have an already excellent tool like the iPhone 4 there really isn't much you can do to improve it. It already has the best UI (as evidenced by the fact all the other smartphone manufacturers have virtually cloned it) and arguably the best range of apps, so that only really leaves bringing the screen size into line with the others and increasing the horsepower.

If you are the type of person who literally only uses a phone as a phone and you are happy with separate address book, filofax, PDA, diary, electronic databank or whatever combination of those you have then fair enough, I won't try to persuade you to get a smartphone. However for me it is like having my own PA, always ready with the answer to whatever question I throw at it. There isn't a single day since I got my first iPhone where it hasn't been extremely useful.

If the current smartphones had been around when I got my iPhone I would have done a comparison and may not have chosen the iPhone, but now I am on that platform I see no reason to change except for a newer model.

Ian

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014013 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 11:27 AM

The thing that makes me laugh about people saying how beautiful the iPhone is or that one phne is better looking than another, is that almost invariably people buy the phone & shove it in a case.
So its the case you see 99% of the time.

Quote: as evidenced by the fact all the other smartphone manufacturers have virtually cloned it

Well you can argue that for Android (even then - the Android system is much more sophisticated and rich) but Blackberry and Windows Phone have totally different UIs.

Oh and at least the clock works on Android Wink

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 13 Sep 2012 - 11:38 AM
Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
13 Sep 2012 - 11:33 AM

Quote: It already has the best UI (as evidenced by the fact all the other smartphone manufacturers have virtually cloned it) and arguably the best range of apps, so that only really leaves bringing the screen size into line with the others and increasing the horsepower.

Well, it's not the best if everyone else has cloned it, as they are then all the same.

And "best range of apps" - don't know how you know that unless you have compared it like for like with Android......

Quote: The thing that makes me laugh about people saying how beautiful the iPhone is or that one phne is better looking than another, is that almost invariably people buy the phone & shove it in a case.
So its the case you see 99% of the time.

Absolutely - one of my engineers just got an HTC One X and it's a lovely piece of engineering, with a nasty plastic case round it now....

digicammad
13 Sep 2012 - 12:31 PM

It can still be the best UI Bri, even if it is used by multiple vendors. Smile

I have a number of friends with Androids and if there is an app which is only available on one platform it is more often than not on the iPhone. Of course the longer the Android phones are around the more apps will support them.

Not sure what you mean about the clock, I've never had a problem with the clock on either of my iPhones and I don't know anybody who has. I'll have to Google that one.

I think the smartphone sector has now reached the stage where most of the offerings are really good. Just like with SLRs, if you have chosen a platform and invested in it (apps instead of lenses) there is, to my mind, insufficient difference between them to make it worthwhile changing. Before I got my first iPhone I looked at what else was available and it just wasn't comparable. If I was buying for the first time today who knows.

BY the way, I don't really class the Blackberry as a smartphone. Tongue

keithh
keithh  1022766 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 12:38 PM

4G anyone? or not as the case may be

lobsterboy
13 Sep 2012 - 12:50 PM

Quote: Not sure what you mean about the clock, I've never had a problem with the clock on either of my iPhones and I don't know anybody who has. I'll have to Google that one.

Well as far as I can tell the Clock icon is fixed at 10:15, yet the calendar icon shows the right date.
Seems massively inconsistent to me from a company that prides it's self on the UI.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 12:51 PM

here we go again..... and not Chris_L this time....well, not yet anyway... LOL

digicammad
13 Sep 2012 - 1:10 PM

Quote: Well as far as I can tell the Clock icon is fixed at 10:15, yet the calendar icon shows the right date.
Seems massively inconsistent to me from a company that prides it's self on the UI.

Can't say it's ever bothered me, it shows the time in big numbers at the open screen. Smile In the scheme of things it doesn't seem like something worth worrying about.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.