Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

iPhone 5 released

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013935 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
27 Sep 2012 - 1:00 PM

What i don't get is the queuing up for a new phone, it's not like tickets to see a gig when they might run out quickly. If you don't get a phone in the first couple of days...they will still have phones left, they've got loads.

How shallow and tedious must your life be that you think it will be improved by getting the latest shiny bit of tech a couple of days before your friends.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Sep 2012 - 1:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
27 Sep 2012 - 1:40 PM

I was in the US at the time and they were covering people who were outside the store for a couple of days to get one. Very sad.

why wait for few days to e amongst the first to get a phone.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
27 Sep 2012 - 1:42 PM

Quote:
How shallow and tedious must your life be that you think it will be improved by getting the latest shiny bit of tech a couple of days before your friends.

Lol last time I did that was when I was at school I queued up outside Bradley's records in Sheffield to buy Diamond Dogs (David Bowie) on its release date. I say queued there was just me and my school mate. It was his idea. He had a cassette recorded and I had a record player, so I actually bought the first copy of Diamond Dogs in Sheffield because he had to go downstairs for his. Yes very shallow, but it felt good at the time. We managed to sneak back to school after morning assembly without any bother too!

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72236 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
27 Sep 2012 - 1:48 PM

I never queued up for stuff like that. The closest I got was pre-ordering an album at Best Buy. It was Crystal Method's Tweekend. But, when i went to pick it up i noticed a load of copies on the shelf and realised that I was probably the only person in the town who listened to this kind of music and thus didn't need to pre-order anything.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 27 Sep 2012 - 1:49 PM
Big Bri
Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
27 Sep 2012 - 1:57 PM

Agree with the comment about Audi TT, although if I could afford an R8 I would be down the Audi showroom like a shot Wink

lemmy
lemmy  61672 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Sep 2012 - 4:34 PM

Apple have done a fabulous marketing job with their iPhones . An expensive item, no better, if no worse than many other phones on the market. Apple is among the biggest and most shark like corporations in the world.

And yet people buying them feel they are 'thinking different', that somehow Apple is the slightly 'off the wall' choice, a bit 'hippy'.

Reminds me of a journalist at the Woodstock Festival who remarked that the area looked like an ocean of blue denim with white cotton T shirts floating on top. Someone remarks to him that this new generation is different from previous ones, in that 'we want to be individuals'. The journalist asks him 'why do you all wear then same clothes then'? Smile

I've never queued for anything like that. It's the early adopters who pay the high prices and find all the faults on new stuff. Without them, the rest of us (and the manufacturers) would be a lot worse off.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
27 Sep 2012 - 4:50 PM

In many of the iPhone/Android arguments you could very easily replace the brand and functions for photographic equivalents and you would have the Nikon/Canon debate. I see the following categories of owners:

1) Invested in an iPhone before there was any real competition and have been happy plus have also invested in accessories/apps, so won't change platforms.

2) Didn't invest in an iPhone because they hate Apple. Waited until a suitable alternative came along and bought that. They won't change platforms, partly because of investment and partly because they hate Apple.

3) Invested in an iPhone as soon as it came out and upgrade as soon as a new one comes out, because they adore Apple and it looks nice next to their Mac

4) Invested in an iPhone as soon as it came out because they love gadgets. They do little other than play games and update Facebook and as soon as a better gadget comes out they upgrade, even if it is on a different platform.

5) Only came into the market when Androids were a mature product, so had the benefit of being able to compare and buy the one that best suits their needs. Some went for iPhone and some went for Android but whichever way they went the majority are happy with their decision and will defend their choice against the dastardly competition.

There are all sorts of sub-divisions of these but I'm running out of ink. Me? I'm a number 1. I think you will find the people queuing overnight to get the new model are all 3s and 4s. If I was buying into a smartphone now I would be a number 5.

Smile

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 101496 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Sep 2012 - 5:20 PM

Nice summary Smile

Quote: Me? I'm a number 1

Me too

Big Bri
27 Sep 2012 - 6:13 PM

Ian, there's also those of us who had smart phones before the iPhone came around, in early incarnations from Nokia, then Windows CE and Windows Mobile......

I've switched brands and operating systems. I don't hate Apple. I don't even hate Apple users. I pity them. Wink

dcash29
dcash29  81870 forum posts England
27 Sep 2012 - 6:15 PM

Dont you only get 90 days phone help with Apple computers thereafter you require a contract?

Nothing wrong with Audi TT's 07 upwards

The difference between the first Htc Desire and my new Htc One S is amazing.

Position in navigation.... found in 4 seconds.....ephotozine opened in under three, battery life double.

Last Modified By dcash29 at 27 Sep 2012 - 6:16 PM
strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
27 Sep 2012 - 6:19 PM

I too had a smart phone pre iPhone it runs windows CE, badly. Wink The iPhone is far superior, no questions, but the iPhone does not synch to the mail calendar used at work so its not a choice.

lemmy
lemmy  61672 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Sep 2012 - 6:38 PM

I'll never understand how any type of phone can become a religion. By any standards there is something missing from someone's life when they take such things seriously.

I'm an atheist but I can still see the truth of the remark that when you don't believe in god you believe in anything.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
27 Sep 2012 - 6:54 PM

Lemmy it isn't just phones. Look around and you will see the same with other things, such as computer games. One thing which makes it worse with phones is that they have become a fashion item and you can't blame Apple for that, it happened way before Smartphones.

Big Bri
27 Sep 2012 - 10:59 PM

John, I never said CE was good Wink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2012 - 12:11 AM

You have to admire them - Apple have done an amazing job in turning what had become an industrial estate geek brand into mass market.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.