Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

iPhone 5 released

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

sid8
sid8  1
18 Oct 2012 - 11:18 AM

Its very exciting release really, just an upgrade of the hardware and a bigger screen so that they can catch up to the popular Android models.
iOS6 seems to be a whole series of features already on my Android phone.

Regards
Sid

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 18 Oct 2012 - 11:22 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Oct 2012 - 11:18 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93451 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2012 - 10:46 AM

I'm a compulsive gadget freak, but when the iPhone first came out, I wanted to see how good the tech could be. I was concerned that the touch screen technology may have been to new to be reliable, and expected problems. A broken screen was bad enough on a button phone, so on a phone that was all screen, it would be disastrous. I held off for a while to see how different companies handled it, as they all rushed to get their own hardware out. I was glad I did. The first Blackberry Storm for example, was an unreliable implementation, and several folk I know had to return them.
When I filled my mp3 walkman, I decided to test the waters with an iPod touch. I've had it for four years now, and it does the job brilliantly. As most people found, the potential was quite eye-opening. So I started to consider the iPhone as a viable option. Then AndyTVcams suggested I have a look at the HTC Legend, which he'd just seen at a launch event.
It wasn't the phone that had impressed him, it was the operating system. I started to look at the advantages. Most of the apps were free (or at the time, could be tried for a day, then refunded easily and without question). You could arrange things into folders (came later to iOS), it came with free voice-guided sat nav (directions are useless to me, I need the visuals), and best of all, you could tether. For free. Those last two features would cost you twenty five quid each at the time on the iPhone. Still, I was happy to weigh up the options again this year.

I've gone with the galaxy s3 for the next two years. I've stuck with android because the ability to change my firmware completely kept my 3 year old phone running as fast as the competition far longer than it would have.
The large screen is fantastic. I can now type at the sort of speeds I'm used to on my laptop. And there's another trick up it's sleeve that the Apple offerings just can't touch...

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93451 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2012 - 10:55 AM

689654935.jpg

I've just uploaded this directly from my D300, with no additional software needed. All it cost me was the usb cable to connect my phone to a standard usb card reader (under 2 quid including postage). Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Apple Wink

User_Removed
19 Oct 2012 - 10:59 AM

iOS is a dying platform. Market share continues to shrink. It'll go the way of Betamax. The iPhone 5 owners sound just like the people who bought the Sony SL HF 1000, one of the finest VCRs ever built. (Most of the other manufacturers were producing VHS)

The Android-Apple platform fight is the defining contest. Here’s why: Apple has thousands of developers building for it. Google’s platform, Android, is even larger. Four times more Android phones than Apple phones. 500 million phones already in use. Doing 1.3 million activations a day. We’ll be at 1 billion mobile devices in a year"

Look at the crazy amounts of cash Apple have. They aren't doing anything with it. They are like your friend who is bad at Monopoly who never buys any properties and holds on to his money.

iPhones are great, just like Sony VCRs, Apple, not so great. Apple stopped being about the best user experience when they banned Flash, dumped YouTube and Google Maps.

discreetphoton
19 Oct 2012 - 11:08 AM

Well, I can't say that Android are without fault there. They've just lost support for flash as well. It's the one thing thing I don't like about my recent upgrade to Jelly Bean (but Google Now is worth the upgrade for me, it's managed to make a calendar workable for me for the first time in my life)

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72339 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
19 Oct 2012 - 11:10 AM

Quote: Apple stopped being about the best user experience when they banned Flash, dumped YouTube and Google Maps.

Slightly off topic, but what do you think about the recent news suggesting that Win8 and IE10 is dropping flash to an extent? I think its just a sign of the times, the web has evolved and certain stuff (flash, java) is becoming less needed with the introduction of better javascript support, css3 and html5

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2012 - 11:13 AM

Quote: Look at the crazy amounts of cash Apple have. They aren't doing anything with it.

Yes they are - suing everyone who produces a better product than theirs.

discreetphoton
19 Oct 2012 - 11:14 AM

I'd say that it's a short term problem, because companies will be forced to adapt and increase support in those areas, but at the moment, it's an issue. Some of the HTML sites I have seen are quite something. So that's your next job Dave; to get the ads changed over Wink

mikehit
mikehit  56297 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2012 - 11:20 AM

Quote: Look at the crazy amounts of cash Apple have. They aren't doing anything with it.

Yes they are - suing everyone who produces a better product than theirs.

and losing Grin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19989750

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2012 - 11:29 AM

Quote: and losing

Oh shame Smile Seriously though, so they blooming should. Trying to patent the design of a whole class of devices is ridiculous, like a car manufacturer trying to patent the hatchback.

discreetphoton
19 Oct 2012 - 11:32 AM

Careful Chris, you'll give them ideas. Cars are also boxy shapes with a round bit in each corner Wink

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
19 Oct 2012 - 11:38 AM

Quote: Slightly off topic, but what do you think about the recent news suggesting that Win8 and IE10 is dropping flash to an extent? I think its just a sign of the times, the web has evolved and certain stuff (flash, java) is becoming less needed with the introduction of better javascript support, css3 and html5

First off, a couple of things... Apple dropped Google Maps because Google refused to allow them the tech that enabled voice directions. Google see this as a selling point of their own platform, and didn't want to allow Apple that advantage. Apple rather stupidly dropped GM before it has a top notch replacement.

Second, re: Flash. Everybody (other businesses) hate Flash and have been trying to dump it for years. Microsoft tried it with Silverlight, but didn't get the takeup. Unfortunately people like Lovefilm and Netflix now use Silverlight for their streaming, as it has better security than Flash, but then makes it impossible to run on platforms that can't use Silverlight. Like my Android tablet.

Now then, how about HTML5 ? Well, of course having all this great new functionality is cool, but relies on browser support, and different browsers may support it differently. Also, you can code up a nice HTML5 "app", but if you want to then increase the functionality of your app for mobile use, you need to re-write it on each native platform, or use something like PhoneGap / Cordova.

I'm fairly sure Flash will die out soon, and HTML5 will be the norm for websites. For mobile apps, I think native code is still going to be prevalent for some years.

lemmy
lemmy  71812 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Oct 2012 - 11:38 AM

Quote: recent news suggesting that Win8 and IE10 is dropping flash to an extent

Yes but Adobe have stopped developing Flash for the same reasons that others are not using it. HTML 5 is coming. Apple and banning Flash was a personal thing between Jobs and Adobe but with Android it is simply a matter of seeing the way the wind is blowing.

Anyway, you can implement Flash on iOS on Apple products easily if you wish. It's a bit like the EU making still cameras unable to record more than 30 minutes at a go. It is the work of all of ten minutes to ditch that. When you think of the mount of money spent by these companies on trying to stop you do something they don't approve of and the ease with which you can overcome it, you wonder what planet they are on.

Moderator: would you please note that I have a patent on the phrase 'seeing the way the wind is blowing' and I will take legal action against anyone using the phrase on this forum without prior permission and payment of royalties. I have also patented the colour blue and all oval green things. You have been warned!

lobsterboy
19 Oct 2012 - 11:56 AM

Quote: Moderator: would you please note that I have a patent on the phrase 'seeing the way the wind is blowing' and I will take legal action against anyone using the phrase on this forum without prior permission and payment of royalties. I have also patented the colour blue and all oval green things. You have been warned!

Noted - though as you have already used the word "Moderator" which I personally own the worldwide rights too I think I will have to see you in court.

MODERATOR POST
mikehit
mikehit  56297 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2012 - 11:58 AM

Well I think the direction from which the wind originates (see what I did there? Wink ) will change a few more times yet.
It seems that in the US the design similarities included the jury comparing the physical similarities, but here in UK the judges looked only at the design patent and that gave Samsung some loopholes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/aug/28/apple-samsung-foreman-explains

And fromcomments underneath it seems the jury foreman has his own axe to grind about patenting 'ideas'and ignored the judge's directions on 'prior art'. Also:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-10-02/samsung-claims-jury-foreman-miscondu...

and the lawyers get rich again....

Last Modified By mikehit at 19 Oct 2012 - 11:59 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.