Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

iPhone 5 released

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
19 Oct 2012 - 12:00 PM

Even if Apple dropped Google Maps for the reason you say Bri, (not because Google is their biggest rival) then how does it help their users? They have **** maps now compared to earlier phones and earlier iOS. Backward step. As for Flash, never been a fan, but like having the option though rather than having it decided for me by Apple.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Oct 2012 - 12:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cantona43
cantona43 e2 Member 9882 forum postscantona43 vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2012 - 1:46 PM

Quote: I've just uploaded this directly from my D300, with no additional software needed. All it cost me was the usb cable to connect my phone to a standard usb card reader (under 2 quid including postage). Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Apple

No card reader or cables required with iPhone just let iCloud send it to your photo stream take a shot anywhere with your iPhone and it gets sent to all your devices simple as

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2012 - 1:49 PM

Quote: No card reader or cables required with iPhone just let iCloud send it to your photo stream take a shot anywhere with your iPhone and it gets sent to all your devices simple as

Read it again -he is talking about taking a shot with a dslr.

cantona43
cantona43 e2 Member 9882 forum postscantona43 vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2012 - 1:56 PM

whoops thats me in the corner with a D on my hat

Henners88
Henners88  5204 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 - 12:51 PM

I've had the iPhone 5 since release and have to say its a stunning phone in every aspect. As a long time android user I am glad I made the jump to iOS, worth every penny Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2013 - 12:55 PM

Quote: As a long time android user I am glad I made the jump to iOS

Can you be more specific?

Also, is it possible to avoid use of iTunes - software I have loathed since I got an iPod several years ago!

Henners88
12 Feb 2013 - 1:06 PM

When I say a long time android user I mean I have been using it since the end of 2009. I've owned 3 android phones and loved every one of them. I've enjoyed watching android grow into a better OS, but this time I fancied an iPhone. The iPhone 5 was affordable as contracts seem to offer more these days in terms of data, text and minutes and the handset was offered by my provider at a reasonable price. I'm not anti Android in any way really, but in my humble opinion I think iOS is a more pleasant experience. App's don't seem to crash as much as Apple keep a tighter regulation on what goes through its app store and the operating system itself doesn't freeze or crash as much as I experienced on my android based phones.

It is possible to avoid iTunes nowadays as Apple have made it possible for an iPhone user not to even need a computer if they so wish. Obviously that would mean buying your music through your phone rather than being able to transfer it through a computer. I use iTunes very rarely and can't say I have as many issues as I used to have with iPods that I owned. The package itself is nowhere near as buggy as it once was. I back the phone up occasionally through itunes but I now have all my music on my device and anything I buy now is through the iTunes app so its downloaded straight to my phone. iTunes is certainly more user friendly than HTC Sense which allows iTunes files to be used but was a complete nightmare to navigate and recognise your phone.

mlewis
mlewis  91476 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 - 1:30 PM

Quote:
Also, is it possible to avoid use of iTunes - software I have loathed since I got an iPod several years ago!

You will need iTunes to back up iPhones. You will also need it to transfer files on and off without using services such as Dropbox.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2013 - 1:35 PM

Many thanks for the input Henners. Smile

There is going to come a time when my Symbian-based smartphone will need to be replaced. The front runners seem to be the iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy. From what I read on the web the iPhone's camera is better. So, all other things being equal, I might lean towards the Apple product.

Would be interesting to hear from others who have switched from Android to iPhone........... and vice-versa.

Henners88
12 Feb 2013 - 1:57 PM

Quote: You will need iTunes to back up iPhones. You will also need it to transfer files on and off without using services such as Dropbox.

Indeed you do really need iTunes in order to back up your phone as you say here. iTunes is much improved to how it used to be and will hopefully improve. I think everybody who has used it has had a bad experience at some point, but I was pleasantly surprised by the improvements on the latest version. In short it is possible to use an iPhone without iTunes but it isn't recommended.

Quote: Many thanks for the input Henners. Smile

There is going to come a time when my Symbian-based smartphone will need to be replaced. The front runners seem to be the iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy. From what I read on the web the iPhone's camera is better. So, all other things being equal, I might lean towards the Apple product.

Would be interesting to hear from others who have switched from Android to iPhone........... and vice-versa.

Having played with the Samsung Galaxy S3 I would have to say its also an excellent phone. If somebody asked my opinion which is better between that and the iPhone I couldn't honestly tell you. My advice would be to find someone who owns each phone and ask to have a play with them to see which you prefer. Failing that go down to your local phone shop and have a go.

Personally I prefer the iPhone but everyone is different. My experience with iOS has been great so far and at present I am pleased I made the switch, but I'm not brand loyal and won't rule out ever returning to android. I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at the S3 either as its a very capable phone in its own right. Smile

Carabosse
12 Feb 2013 - 3:48 PM

One of the apps I use all the time, on Symbian, is Swype. Could not do without it.

Has anyone tried it on Android or iPhone? Or is there an alternative which is just as good?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2013 - 4:02 PM

Android supports Swype (well samsung does)

cantona43
12 Feb 2013 - 4:06 PM

IPhone is not very clever with Swype it has bad reviews in the App Store in saying that I find the iPhone 5 to be excellent

Henners88
13 Feb 2013 - 8:10 AM

I had to look up what 'swype' was and its a faster way of typing isn't it? It seems every manufacturer has a different method to help users typing on phones qwerty keyboards to type faster. iOS isn't the best I have used but I do find the keyboard to be slightly more responsive for my fingers. The new Blackberry Z10 has an innovative way of typing where different words appear across the keyboard whilst you are typing a sentence and you can swipe upwards to short cut to appropriate words. With iOS it has words that pop up whilst you are typing and if its the correct word you can hit space and it'll continue with that particular word or reject it by touching the little cross next to the word. With anything like this I think you get used to a certain way very quickly as most are pretty good for their purpose.

One feature I enjoy with the new iOS 6 is the short cut feature for words. You can go into the settings menu and set certain short cuts, for example your email address. Many sites ask you to log in and I've found this useful. For example: 'joebloggs@email.com', can be given the short cut 'jbe' or something like that. When the user types the simple three letters the correct email address just pops up as a prompt. Even sentences can be given short cuts if they are phrases you use a lot. A nice feature IMO.

Carabosse
13 Feb 2013 - 12:34 PM

Quote: I had to look up what 'swype' was and its a faster way of typing isn't it?

Yes. Apparently, in tests, found to be quicker than qwerty-keyboard input.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.