Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

IR black and White photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2010 - 2:27 PM

Hi Sue, can you remember who you used - also who shouldn't I use?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Jul 2010 - 2:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2010 - 9:35 PM

Problem solved ... just found out what numpty I was. Just been playing around a couple of local landscapes, and the banding was down to light entering from the viewfinder. No excuse really the D700 has an inbuilt viewfinder cover.

Upside have a couple of images that are worth having a close look at and processing properly.

Nick_w
17 Jul 2010 - 10:08 AM

ir-experiment.jpg

A very quick conversion for an image from last night. Theres too much movement in the FG grasses for my liking due to the exposure (ca 2 mins) will be interesting to do a comparison when I get the D80 converted.

Would anyone be interested in an IR group ?

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85808 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2010 - 7:07 PM

Quote: Would anyone be interested in an IR group ?

Yes Smile

A quick shot taken today whilst out and about - converted Sony DSC-P72

dsc01775.jpg

Nick_w
3 Aug 2010 - 7:32 PM

Just to keep the thread going, as I'm still reading up on this and learning! How do you convert your images to Mono - my usual method doesn't really work so well so I would be interested in finding out different approaches, and your reasoning behind it (I try to understand how / why a process works).

I've yet to see too many digital monos that get the etherial feel of film based images from the likes of Simon Marsden - this is the look I'm after.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85808 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2010 - 9:22 PM

I'm not sure if there is a correct way to convert as such - this one I just split to RGB and picked the one I preferred - in this case the Blue. Then some unscientific curves tweaking followed and this is what came out. I'd have to play a bit to get the Marsden effect - admittedly I don't like it much so have never tried to get that style.

blue1.jpg

As it came out of the camera...

dsc01779a.jpg

Nick_w
4 Aug 2010 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for that Alison. At least I'm on the right lines as I always (well nearly always) use individual channels.

My images are coming out of camera much redder than your RAW, far less violet. Do you use AWB or a custum one off the greenery? I guess the quality of the image is far better with a camera conversion.

Geraint
Geraint  7715 forum posts Wales34 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2010 - 8:22 AM

Here are a couple I took a few years ago with the Hoya filter on my old 350d. Swapped the red and blue channels (as explained in the link). I haven't bothered with IR since then to be honest as there's so much potch involved - focussing without filter on, covering the viewfinder, long exposures.... I'll be converting my 350d sometime in the future.

infrared6.jpg

infrared9.jpg

cattyal
4 Aug 2010 - 8:34 AM

Needless to say it is far easier with a converted camera Smile

The camera I use is only a diddy one - here but for now it does the job nicely. I do have a R72 filter somewhere but as Geraint says, a bit too faffy with the long exposures etc - especially when I'm just dashing round the local parks or hill in my lunchbreak. With this little camera hand held is fine and no long exposures!

Oh yes - I always leave it on AWB - just lazy. I seem to recall that when I used the filter on my other cameras it came out red - also different conditions seem to affect the end results.

One day I'd like a 'big' converted camera but that's just another item on my ever growing wish list.

JohnParminter
4 Aug 2010 - 11:35 AM

Nick,

I bought a second hand D70 from a guy at work and converted to IR myself. I bought the IR filter from LifePixel in the states and just followed the instructions, it was very easy and straight forward. The images so far have been as expected. Very vibrant mono images straight out of the camera, I haven't delved too deep into the world of IR yet but have the gear should I wish to persue it.

http://www.lifepixel.com/

I paid $180 for the filter plus some taxes for import of it. I also have the option to easily convert back to normal as I still have the original filter.

John

Stick
Stick  8 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2010 - 6:02 PM

I have great success with infrared using digital compacts. As you may have gathered the newer DSLR's have pretty good IR blocking filters in them, older DSLR's around the six million pixel era are a lot more receptive to infrared as the blocking filters are less strong. When i used a Samsung GX-1S with an Kood R72 filter on the lens I still had long exposure times of 60 seconds or more which is fine if you have a static subject.

I have used a Sony V1 and V3 compact cameras for the majority of IR photography. Simply because these cameras have a night shot facility which is true infrared. Set to Nightshot in Programme mode, put an ND4 or ND8 filter on an extension tube along with an R72 filter and hey presto you have infrared photographs. you can even see the effect in Live mode you you see what your getting.

Have a look at some of my shots on the Ephotozine portfolio or my gallery at http://bigskypics.fotopic.net.

Please contact me if you require any further information.

cattyal
4 Aug 2010 - 6:43 PM

I too have the Sony V1 - bought solely because of the night shot function. However my filter was rather cheaper than the R72 - a bit of floppy disk taped over the lens. Yes - I'm tight Smile I did find the images a bit noisy though but still not bad.....

dsc01172.jpg off the camera - just cropped, resized and sharpened

tree.jpg - same as above - blue channel, curves tweaked

Stick
Stick  8 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2010 - 7:40 PM

Isn't the noise all part of the Infrared image, I loved the grain on Infrared film (remember film?) and to achieve a similar look in digital I put the images through Silver Efex Pro where menu options give you grain for any type of black and white film. A clean none grainy infrared digital picture doesnt cut it for me.

My gallery address has changed slightly so forget the last one provided, this one will get you to my Photographs... http://www.bigskypics.fotopic.net/

cattyal
4 Aug 2010 - 10:27 PM

I have no particular preference either for or against grain but the ones from my V1 with the floppy disk are a tad rough Smile Maybe sometime I'll root out the extension tube for it and a proper filter - if I can find the things!

Nick_w
4 Aug 2010 - 11:59 PM

In the digital age too much is made of grain (not just IR) some subjects the grain enhances images and fit some IR subjects I too think this is the case.

I will be sending my old camera for conversion tomorrow, so I will see how it performs. I will be interested to see how it campares to the D700 with R72 filter which I haven't in all honesty been too happy with. Shame the old camera is a cropped centre as I won't be able to do an exact like for like comparison - particularly as the R72 filter is for my wide angle prime.

Now for me I prefer IR in mono, I've not seen many (any) images using the swapped channel technique, that I've liked. Maybe a couple of glamour images at reduced opacity.

To generate interest how about linking to ir Images that inspire? Right now to google image search

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.