Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

IR black and White photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73840 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
5 Aug 2010 - 12:17 AM

To start the ball rolling I wil start with the following:

A bit left field but hey I like the comparisin from visible to IR
A Damien Lovegrove Special

Thats my contribution for now as the internet has gone onto snails pace!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Aug 2010 - 12:17 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96030 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Aug 2010 - 8:45 AM

I'll see what I can find this evening - sadly stuck at my desk now so although I can visit EPZ on and off, surfing is a bit risky Smile

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73840 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
5 Aug 2010 - 9:27 AM

No problem Alison, I'm working from home so I'will be able to search during "coffee breaks" Wink last night I gave up with connection speeds < old dial up!

Stick
Stick  8 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2010 - 6:59 PM

Just to go back to the Sony V1 Cattyal, mine is the Sony Cybershot V1 5mp, not the older floppy disc version, I can understand why you get a lot noise with yours!!

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96030 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Aug 2010 - 7:06 PM

Yep - yours is the same one that I have - if I used a proper filter then I'd probably get rather less noise but with the chopped up floppy stuck on it I can shove it in my tidy work handbag Smile I'll have to root round the house and see if I can find the filter etc.!

Nick_w
6 Aug 2010 - 11:47 PM

Just sent the old D80 to ACS for conversion. Can't wait to get it back to give it a try. Now thinking of local locations.

Nick_w
8 Aug 2010 - 2:20 PM

At the moment I only have the D700 with an R72 filter to play with. I'm going to write a review of a converted camera v one that just uses a standard R72 filter.

So I'm playing with the processing at the moment - here is a local image both with a conventional B&W look, and the in vogue swapped channel look (none of which I would be happy enough to load to my PF ..yet - I'm not a lover of swapped channel, tho my wife likes it - but I will explore the various looks). What I would like is good honest opinions so I can take these onboard when I get the D80 back.

Well here goes .. Swapped Channel Look

swapped-channel-look.jpg

Mono ...

-mono-version.jpg

p.s. Wish I had bought an 82mm threaded version of R72 so I could have used the 24-70 (@30mm) on the D700, and 20mm on the D80 to get the same field of view !!

Nick_w
30 Aug 2010 - 7:39 PM

Ok I've had the D80 converted this is the first offering - no votes required, just would like to know what you think

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jan 2011 - 11:35 AM

I tried to take ir photos with my canon 7d and a hoya r72 filter and this is what i had to do to achieve nothing like what i was expecting and could not even get close.
i had the hoya r72 filter on and took advise from people who seem to know and ended up with a very long exposure of 20mins at iso 100, focus was a pig, as i tried to focus before the filter went on but as you probably know the ir is different focal length to normality so therefore did not get a good result in focus nor did i get a good picture at all as it was all very red and i could not edit that out unless i went completely b+w which is not what i wanted at the time however b+w does look very nice if processed properly and i am experimenting with that now i have got the hang of colour ir.
If you are looking to go IR photography i would strongly suggest getting a camera converted as this takes away long exposures and you can enjoy a whole world of new photography, example.

I brought a canon 450d and converted the sensor to IR so i can take any picture in ir weather it be people or landscapes or even sport if i wish to without long exposure problems, and the reason i chose the 450d was simply the live view you get with the camera and can be used in IR of course.
The sensor was positioned in such a way that focus is no problem now either.

Going cheep with a filter is wasting your money you may as well not bother in my opinion as you won't get the same results as a converted camera i know this because i have done the same thing.

The reason for dslr cameras not doing a good job of IR photography is simply there sensors are too good at expelling the IR rays, My canon 7d is no different, using a filter simply gives you a BRIGHT RED IMAGE THAT TENDS TO BE VERY BLURRY.

I hope this is helpful to you.

There is another, less expensive, way than having a dSLR body converted. Spend 10 on an old manual SLR and use IR film.

leftforum have you tried to buy IR film lately it is like rocking horse poo.
Simply put they don't manufacture it anymore or so i heard and hense why i went the way i did.

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jan 2011 - 11:59 AM

This is my version of coloured IR with swapped colour channels and a little more processing using people to achieve a very interesting look.
You will notice when it comes to IR portraits the skin is like porcaline and eyes look black it makes for a freaky looking portrait but very interesting i think.
i also had a go at landscape in swapped colour channels and this was the result. irtrees-edited-1.jpgvampiregirls-edited-1-copy-edited-1.jpg

Nick_w
3 Jan 2011 - 12:59 PM

Pretty good Ian. I've never really been a fan of the swapped channels for landscapes, I don't know why, but for portraiture it can be very effective like the one above. I would probably reduce the vibrance on the cyan/blues a little for my tastes.

I'm trying to write a couple of articles on IR (finally got round to it) anyone got any links to good reading matter? Hopefully I will post in the next few days

Last Modified By Nick_w at 3 Jan 2011 - 1:01 PM
ianrobinson
3 Jan 2011 - 1:28 PM

Thx for your comment nick all appreciated i will try with a little less cyan/blues and see what i get.
If you want good reading or just good information try (you- tube) as i tend to get loads of info on there and is very informative on the exact science behind colour swapping and ir in general.
ACS has a link and i think you already know that However as i said there is so much more info on you tube and video tutorials that will help you in your article.
Hope that helps.

Nick_w
3 Jan 2011 - 7:31 PM

Thanks Ian. I will give you tube a look as when I first looked my broadband was too slow however BT have rectified the problem( tho still a pitiful half meg).

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.