Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Iraq: Re-writing of History by MOD

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • 1
    • »
    gcarth
    gcarth e2 Member 102293 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2008 - 3:03 PM

    I was horrified by the Independent headlines this morning:
    "Iraq: Teachers told to rewrite history."
    The MOD, it seems, deem it necessary to brainwash our kids into believing most of the already discredited myths about the Iraq war.
    The MOD want schoolchildren to be taught that the reasons for going to war with Iraq were WMD's and the removal of Saddam Hussein.
    As we all know now, the WMD's affair was all lies and back in 2003 Blair said that regime change was not on the agenda.
    The MOD stress the rebuilding of Iraq without mentioning the terrible destruction of power and water supplies that they had incurred in the first place. More important, not one word was mentioned about innocent civilians killed or the illegality of the war.
    Coming so soon after the baloney about allegiance to Queen and country, this surely indicates where we are going...

    Garth

    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Mar 2008 - 3:03 PM

    Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

    lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2008 - 3:19 PM

    Linky linky

    Standonman
    Standonman e2 Member 1060 forum postsStandonman vcard United Kingdom
    14 Mar 2008 - 4:19 PM

    I'm struggling to see what this has got to do with photography.........or am I missing the point????

    paulcr
    paulcr  91536 forum posts Ireland9 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2008 - 4:21 PM

    Its certainly not the first time they've "rewritten" history. its usually done by ommission, and I'm pretty sure it won't be the last..

    Paul

    Cephus
    Cephus  92129 forum posts England
    14 Mar 2008 - 4:21 PM


    Quote: I'm struggling to see what this has got to do with photography.........or am I missing the point????

    It's in the Off-Topic discussion section!!!!

    Wink

    Last Modified By Cephus at 14 Mar 2008 - 4:21 PM
    gcarth
    gcarth e2 Member 102293 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2008 - 4:35 PM


    Quote: It's in the Off-Topic discussion section!!!

    LoL! It's alright, he's from Barcelona! (Juan McDowallaga - Scottish/Irish descent!
    Never mind, John. I've made a few boobs myself on this forum - and you're not the first one to make that particular mistake!
    Anyway, welcome to the discussion!

    Garth

    SuziBlue
    SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2008 - 5:35 PM

    Reminds me of reading my grandmother's school history textbooks which trumpeted Victoria as a gift from God and how she and her Empire had brought such good things to the 'savages' of the world ..!! Britain did no wrong at all and it was everyone else's fault for being forrin in the first place Wink

    Incidentally I think the MOD are seriously underestimating the intelligence of kids of today, who when they're interested and involved are generally are very well up on things like this no matter what the spin is from the MOD and the government. Anyone remember the big furore about schoolchildren wanting to take to the streets and protest about the Iraq war? .. those schoolchildren interviewed about why they were taking part were so informed and aware of the realities it would shame some politicians let alone some of the public who were happy to parrot the government spin.

    Last Modified By SuziBlue at 14 Mar 2008 - 5:41 PM
    spaceman
    spaceman  105167 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2008 - 5:36 PM

    Makes me wonder what the "D" in MOD actually stands for.

    spaceman
    spaceman  105167 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2008 - 5:37 PM


    Quote: Coming so soon after the baloney about allegiance to Queen and country, this surely indicates where we are going...


    Iran.

    Snapper
    Snapper  93766 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2008 - 7:25 PM


    Quote: I'm struggling to see what this has got to do with photography.........or am I missing the point????

    Apart from it being in the Off-topic forum, this is the same government that wants to treat you as a (potential) terrorist every time you take out a camera in a city centre. I'd say that's relevant enough!

    gcarth
    gcarth e2 Member 102293 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2008 - 8:59 PM


    Quote: Reminds me of reading my grandmother's school history textbooks which trumpeted Victoria as a gift from God and how she and her Empire had brought such good things to the 'savages' of the world ..!! Britain did no wrong at all and it was everyone else's fault for being forrin in the first place Wink

    Incidentally I think the MOD are seriously underestimating the intelligence of kids of today, who when they're interested and involved are generally are very well up on things like this no matter what the spin is from the MOD and the government. Anyone remember the big furore about schoolchildren wanting to take to the streets and protest about the Iraq war? .. those schoolchildren interviewed about why they were taking part were so informed and aware of the realities it would shame some politicians let alone some of the public who were happy to parrot the government spin.

    Your'e so right, as usual, Suzi!
    After getting myself all wound-up about this issue, I calmed down and decided that this latest MOD nonsense could be a good thing because such stupid ideas could prove counter-productive and serve to highlight again the sheer hypocrisy and mendacity of government propaganda. As you say school kids are not as stupid as the MOD.

    Garth

    Last Modified By gcarth at 14 Mar 2008 - 9:00 PM
    SuziBlue
    SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2008 - 9:12 PM


    Quote: this latest MOD nonsense could be a good thing because such stupid ideas could prove counter-productive and serve to highlight again the sheer hypocrisy and mendacity of government propaganda

    .. and you're so right too, again, Garth!

    Extraordinary to think that some grey suits somewhere think this might actually work - when what it does is reinforce public scepticism towards the supposedly accountable people grouped round the cabinet table. Exactly how much does the government have to hide to justify this kind of ludicrous liemongering - more than a few dodgy dossiersful, I'll be bound 8-]

    Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2008 - 3:31 PM


    Quote: Reminds me of reading my grandmother's school history textbooks which trumpeted Victoria as a gift from God and how she and her Empire had brought such good things to the 'savages' of the world ..!!

    Yep - it is a historical fact that history gets rewritten from time to time. Wink

    The communist regimes were experts.....


    Quote: Incidentally I think the MOD are seriously underestimating the intelligence of kids of today

    Indeed - and that they have access to the internet too. Children are not dependent on the traditional media.

    The fact that the war of words over the rewriting issue immediately appears on the internet and will be read by the very kids they are trying to, erm, "educate", just makes MoD look foolish.

    Last Modified By Carabosse at 15 Mar 2008 - 3:34 PM
    • «
    • 1
    • »

    Add a Comment

    You must be a member to leave a comment

    Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.