Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is a Camera Shop a Viable Business

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
matt5791
matt5791  9747 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2008 - 5:58 AM

Quote: As for me, well, I a farmers wife. I go to a green grocer for my fruit and veg, a butcher for my meat. It might be a tad more expensive,

You know - Supermarkets are infact not that cheap. What they are is very clever indeed in retailing and marketing and making everyone think they are cheap. they price product very carefully and also live off the convenience factor.

As an example, fruit and veg are particularly expensive in supermarkets when compared to local green grocers (at least that this what I am experiencing at present in Birmingham). I also find meat expensive too, comparing like for like - have you seen the price of Sainsburys hung 21 days beef - something that is normal in any decent butcher (and it's not properly hung anyway, apparently according to Clarissa Dickson-
Wright, something about the bone having been taken out first)

And you must not forget that whilst these larger operators can generate economies of scale by buying larger quantities, they need to because of the very high overheads on their stores the cost of prime locations, packaging etc.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Feb 2008 - 5:58 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stevie
stevie e2 Member 101197 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2008 - 7:24 AM

Well, I bought a new camera body last week in Jacobs in London last week, they undercut the lowest internet price I could find by nearly 100 quid, I was very happy (actually, I'd just gone in to 'look' but you know how one thing leads to another....)

MattyEdwards
6 Feb 2008 - 3:25 PM

I like to be able to go into a shop and speak to someone about the product I need/problem I am trying to overcome etc. I get good conversation from my local shop and often come away with ideas I hadn't thought about. I don't get that from the internet.

I would buy everything from them, but unfortunately the are either unable to or won't compete with the internet on things like lenses etc. But strangely on things like back dropsa dn other studio gear, the internet cannpot get close to them

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.