Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is American Science Doomed......

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
9 Oct 2012 - 9:30 AM

.... when ****wits like this guy manage to get appointed to the Senate House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology. The guy is obviously not there to aid science but to block stuff that does not fit with his religious delusions, which is basically all modern scientific theory.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Oct 2012 - 9:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

parallax
parallax e2 Member 5119 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 - 9:53 AM

Sums up good ole U.S. of A. Uncle Sam and the land of the overfed F***wits. Trouble is the UK is hellbent on adopting all of their bad habits too.

mikehit
mikehit  56692 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 10:06 AM

Quote: A recent Gallup Poll suggests that 46 percent of Americans think God made humans within the past 10,000 years, while only half the nation believes in evolution.

Nuff said.
Its already doomed.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104047 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 10:08 AM

Absolutely bonkers, my son pointed this one out to me. How and why would he be appointed to that position? It truly beggars belief.

puertouk
puertouk  31080 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 10:19 AM

The guy needs tying to a rocket and blasting off into space to go and live with the fairies!

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53672 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 11:02 AM

Create a following based on any belief and you'll be asked to defend it at some point if you still want votes and support.
Its too easy for individuals to just believe charismatic people/ or not have the gumption to challenge them.

Societies only really evolve when science & learning is allowed to flourish and benefit all; religion and protectionist business practices often just seem to get in the way.

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82346 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 11:49 AM

I don't agree with him, but I do believe everyone has the right to an opinion even if it differs to mine. Why shouldn't that opinion be heard in scientific forum?

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
9 Oct 2012 - 11:58 AM

I agree with Adam (sherlob). He is entitled to stand up for his point of view. There's no reason why he should be silenced just because his is not the mainstream view.

Last Modified By mdpontin at 9 Oct 2012 - 11:59 AM
mikehit
mikehit  56692 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 11:58 AM

+1
Otherwise the forum evolves (pun intended) into one that decides the 'truth as we know it'

cambirder
9 Oct 2012 - 12:18 PM

Quote: Why shouldn't that opinion be heard in scientific forum?

Because it is not science, its wilful ignorance. No one who is in denial of the overwhelming scientific evidence for an old Earth and universe should be allowed to influence funding of the sciences. The fact that so many Americans believe the lie that the Earth is just a few thousand years old are due to influential dickheads like this senator. There are 2 types of young Earth creationists, the gullible true believers and the liars who use them as useful idiots. The likes of Ken Hamm who earns a very good living peddling this tripe is one of the latter and I suspect that Broun is one also.

What the hell has happened to the party of Lincoln, T. Roosevelt and Eisenhower that is now full to the brim with nut jobs like this clown. Romney's position on evolution seems a bit ambiguous so he scares me somewhat as well.

cambirder
9 Oct 2012 - 12:24 PM

Quote: Otherwise the forum evolves (pun intended) into one that decides the 'truth as we know it'

Its not a forum its a scientific committee, so should have people on it who a) understand science and b) are capable of critical thinking.

The Bible is not a science book so those how treat it as such should stay on the stupid bench and well away from important jobs.

Quote: There's no reason why he should be silenced just because his is not the mainstream view.

For **** sake its not a question of following the mainstream view it is following a view that has been debunked for over a hundred years, and has precisely zero supporting evidence. If you really want to drag us back to the 13th century by all means keep supporting idiots like this.

Last Modified By cambirder at 9 Oct 2012 - 12:29 PM
User_Removed
9 Oct 2012 - 12:45 PM

Quote: Why shouldn't that opinion be heard in scientific forum?

If it's based on a faith or a belief that has no basis in science then the opinion isn't relevant to science. It would be like someone at a conference of dentists who believes in the Tooth Fairy expecting to be heard due to some notion that everyone's opinion is relevant. Everyone's opinion isn't relevant.

keith selmes
9 Oct 2012 - 12:45 PM

He is entitled to express a point of view, but if he had any credibility on a science committee, he must have lost it.

He's wrong anyway, the earth isn't 9,000 years old, it's only 6,000. See the proof here http://toptenproofs.com/article_youngearth.php
(You can throw away good money on the CD set as well if you want)

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 12:51 PM

As long as they do not vote Romney in, I know Obama is far from perfect but Romney is scary.....

parallax
parallax e2 Member 5119 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 - 4:26 PM

I say Romney for President then the Yanks have a leader even worse than our out of touch toff PM.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.