Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Is American Science Doomed......

mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 5:50AM

Quote:Oh and check out the descriptions of the wood and pitch and you will see they are Babylon not Hebrew words. Atrahasis was from Babylon....

This shows the simlairties between Babylonian and Hebrew flood myths. It looks like God indulged in a bit of plagiarism (not what I would have expected).

http://www.icr.org/article/noah-flood-gilgamesh/
http://www.nwcreation.net/noahlegends.html

Even Australian aborigines seem to have had a story of a flood and animals being taken into a boat.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 9:23AM

Quote:simlairties between Babylonian and Hebrew flood myths. It looks like God indulged in a bit of plagiarism

Even Australian aborigines seem to have had a story of a flood and animals being taken into a boat

Taking those bits together, an obvious thought is, it's ths same God and the same story, and the variations occur in the in the retelling.
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 10:02AM
Oh, yes! Let's go down that line Grin
Zeus is the same as Yaweh, who is the same as Osiris, who is the same as Allah, who is the same as.....and all the different religions just don't understand the 'true word'.
16 Oct 2012 12:19PM
Now that you mention it, Zeus was involved with a flood myth and an ark type boat, and Islam incorporates the Noah story.
Osiris arguably is a flood.
mlewis 10 1.5k United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 1:02PM
Allah, Yaweh, and the Christian God are indeed the same entity. The Jewish holy book (Torah) is the first 5 books of the Old Testament in the Bible. Islam has the same roots as Judaism/Christianity and has practically the same creation story and has the story of Abraham being asked by god to sacrifice one oh hhis sons. (It is a different son in Islam to Judaism/Christianity though). Islam also regards Jesus as a prophet.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
16 Oct 2012 3:08PM
A couple of years ago I put up on here a comparison of the stories of the lives of Jesus and the (Egyptian) deity Horus, whose mum and dad were the better known Isis and Osiris.

I'll see if I can find it again - the similarities were quite astonishing! Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
16 Oct 2012 3:39PM
Found the comparison tables. Here and continued here .

Would be interested to hear what Bill, and others who think the way he does, feel about this. I.e. Jesus's life story appears to be based on a much earlier Egyptian story we would now call a 'myth'. Smile

I have to say, the introduction of technology to capture images (still and moving) has had a more profound effect on our civilisation than we might imagine. These days, if someone has been raised from the dead, or water is turned into wine, we'd demand to see the evidence - probably taken on a camera phone. Wink
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 4:28PM
Given that the Jews spent decades in Egypt it would not be surprising if some of the stories were inculcated to their religion. I recall a discussion with a theology doctorate who explained that a lot of the events in Jesus' life (as reported in the NT) was not so much a biography as events that oin the OT that presaged the coming of the messiah. A list of conditions, if you will, to convince the audience that he was the messiah.
I find it fascinating on a historical and cultural level.
16 Oct 2012 4:46PM

Quote:These days, if someone has been raised from the dead, or water is turned into wine
The authorities would deny it ever happened, with supporting evidence and explanation. Then the internet would be flooded with conspiracy theories claiming that it did happen, probably concentrating on detailed analysis of some low res camera phone images, mixed with some bogus science theory, and a general belief that "they" are trying to hide something. All you need to start a new global religion Smile
And the more you try to deny it, the more people believe "there must be something in it".
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
16 Oct 2012 5:03PM

Quote:These days, if someone has been raised from the dead, or water is turned into wineThe authorities would deny it ever happened, with supporting evidence and explanation. Then the internet would be flooded with conspiracy theories claiming that it did happen, probably concentrating on detailed analysis of some low res camera phone images, mixed with some bogus science theory, and a general belief that "they" are trying to hide something. All you need to start a new global religion Smile
And the more you try to deny it, the more people believe "there must be something in it".

Very true! {Sigh} Grin
16 Oct 2012 5:07PM

Quote:a comparison of the stories of the lives of Jesus and the (Egyptian) deity Horus
after a few minutes internet study, that looks a bit simplistic, if not actually inaccurate

for example http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/HORUS.htm
Billlee 8 5.5k England
16 Oct 2012 7:18PM

Quote:a comparison of the stories of the lives of Jesus and the (Egyptian) deity Horusafter a few minutes internet study, that looks a bit simplistic, if not actually inaccurate

for example http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/HORUS.htm

Thank you Keith for this... Very interesting read.
Billlee 8 5.5k England
16 Oct 2012 7:23PM

Quote:Found the comparison tables. Here and continued here.

Would be interested to hear what Bill, and others who think the way he does, feel about this. I.e. Jesus's life story appears to be based on a much earlier Egyptian story we would now call a 'myth'. Smile

I have to say, the introduction of technology to capture images (still and moving) has had a more profound effect on our civilisation than we might imagine. These days, if someone has been raised from the dead, or water is turned into wine, we'd demand to see the evidence - probably taken on a camera phone. Wink

Please read the above article, posted by Keith Selmes there is actually NO correlation.
Billlee 8 5.5k England
16 Oct 2012 7:48PM
@Carabosse [ Oh, and you cannot know anything in your 'heart': it's 100% in the chemical and electrical processes of your brain - even a 'gut feeling' originates in your brain - but may well affect your gut! Your brain can undergo changes and so changes of viewpoint are nothing unusual or magical.]

Perhaps a little research would enlighten you.....1.Read up about the Enteric Nervous System (ENS) ... This is just a snippet from Wikipaedia.....
The ENS is capable of autonomous functions[3] such as the coordination of reflexes; although it receives considerable innervation from the autonomic nervous system, it can and does operate independently of the brain and the spinal cord.[4] Its study is the focus of neurogastroenterology.

2. The heart too....is not completely controlled by the brain...
Issue 3 (1993) Article 3: Page 1 of 1
Control of Heart Rate
Dr I Kestin,
Consultant Anaesthetist, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, UK.
The heart will beat independently of any nervous or hormonal influences. This spontaneous rhythm of the heart (called intrinsic automaticity) can be altered by nervous impulses or by circulatory substances, like adrenaline. The muscle fibres of the heart are excitable cells like other muscle or nerve cells, but have a unique property. Each cell in the heart will spontaneously contract at a regular rate because the electrical properties of the cell membrane spontaneously alter with time and regularly "depolarise". This means the reversal of the electrical gradient across the cell membrane that causes muscle contraction or passage of a nervous impulse. Mus cle fibres from different parts of the heart have different rates of spontaneous depolarisation; the cells from the ventricle are the slowest, and those from the atria are faster.

It has been noted elsewhere that recipients of hearts , and other organs, can take on some of the characteristics of the donors see
http://bobsnewheart.wordpress.com/2008/05/19/cellular-memory-organ-recipients-with-characteristics-of-donor/ ......... and at least 10 more pages of entries on this subject on Google...
Billlee 8 5.5k England
16 Oct 2012 7:53PM

Quote:Oh and check out the descriptions of the wood and pitch and you will see they are Babylon not Hebrew words. Atrahasis was from Babylon....

This shows the simlairties between Babylonian and Hebrew flood myths. It looks like God indulged in a bit of plagiarism (not what I would have expected).

http://www.icr.org/article/noah-flood-gilgamesh/
http://www.nwcreation.net/noahlegends.html

Even Australian aborigines seem to have had a story of a flood and animals being taken into a boat.

Why do you reckon the Flood "myth" is present in almost all ancient belief systems throughout the entire planet??? Because there was a little local flooding in the Middle East? Where is logical thought?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.