Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is American Science Doomed......

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
16 Oct 2012 - 8:10 PM

While you are in a reading mood Billie, check out these essays by Dr. Robert Schneider. There is quite a lot to read but I think he does a great job in explaining why it is perfectly possible to be a Christian and accept modern scientific theories including evolution. If you do manage to read through this I would love some feedback.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Oct 2012 - 8:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014007 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 8:29 PM

To be honest, I can understand why someone would want to follow Christ. he seems to have been a generally pretty right-on bloke.
But the god of the Old Testament seems to an utter ******: I mean just the flood on it's own is a massive act of genocide, let alone all those animals he killed just because he was having a fit of peak.

I find its best to judge people (and deities) by what they do rather than what they say or what airs and graces they have.
Funny enough this popped up on FB this evening, seems appropriate:

598785-444879045548061-1124829408-n.jpg

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 16 Oct 2012 - 9:02 PM
mikehit
mikehit  46105 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 10:01 PM

Quote: .

Why do you reckon the Flood "myth" is present in almost all ancient belief systems throughout the entire planet??? Because there was a little local flooding in the Middle East? Where is logical thought?

Because every culture on earth has beliefs in the purifying effects of water and its 'life-giving' properties. And every culture on earth has experienced serious floods at some point and those events go down in folklore. That is not to say that all these floods happened at the same time.
Where did the water go after it left the surface to reveal the solid ground?

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
16 Oct 2012 - 10:47 PM

Quote: Why do you reckon the Flood "myth" is present in almost all ancient belief systems throughout the entire planet??? Because there was a little local flooding in the Middle East? Where is logical thought?

The logical thinking is that if there really was a global flood there would be a whole heap of evidence left behind. In fact there is absolutely zero, and a whole mountain range of evidence that it could never have happened. Speaking of mountain ranges just how did a whole heap of marine fossils end up on the top mount Everest in just 4000 years?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 11:08 PM

Quote: The heart too....is not completely controlled by the brain...

I never said it was. But you feel things - everything in fact - in your brain not in your heart. If it were not for your brain, someone could put a knife through your heart and you wouldn't feel a thing. (It would still kill you though! Wink)

When as a child I, very briefly, went to Sunday school, the teacher said that everything in the Bible was 'allegorical'. I hadn't a clue what she meant, at the time, but I came to realise it was a general escape clause! Grin

Billlee
Billlee  85531 forum posts England
17 Oct 2012 - 1:12 AM

Quote: The heart too....is not completely controlled by the brain...

I never said it was. But you feel things - everything in fact - in your brain not in your heart. If it were not for your brain, someone could put a knife through your heart and you wouldn't feel a thing. (It would still kill you though! Wink) ]

No you feel physical pain when tissue gets stretched, you can cut yourself with a very sharp blade and not feel anything!. The skin surface reacts to pain via the mechanism you describe, but internal organs can function and react via the autonomic nervous system without necessarily connecting with the brain

[When as a child I, very briefly, went to Sunday school, the teacher said that everything in the Bible was 'allegorical'. I hadn't a clue what she meant, at the time, but I came to realise it was a general escape clause! Grin

I agree, that did sound like an escape clause!! I look at it this way, since I have come to know that God is real, it is not a matter of proving it .... it is simply a knowledge that it is true. My life has changed more dramatically than I thought was possible ( for the better I may add! ) .... Now if that makes me seem somehow less than I was then so be it! I am so much happier now!!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 3:15 AM

Hi Bill. First of all, sorry about putting up links about Horus/Jesus which it seems are disputed by other scholars. I have to admit even I wondered about so many similarities! However it does appear quite a few Bible stories have greater antiquity than the Bible. I am I guess the opposite of you, having been born and bred in a staunchly Christian family.

As to feeling happier and perhaps more serene, many have found simple meditation techniques achieve exactly the same thing but without the necessity of espousing a religion.

User_Removed
17 Oct 2012 - 7:25 AM

Bill, noticed in a news report about pests in farming that there are now 150 different species of aphids. I think they've evolved to deal with changes in climate, habitat etc. I guess you think God is busy creating new species. Why do you think he spends so much time producing so many different species of aphids. Where's he make 'em?

keith selmes
17 Oct 2012 - 11:09 AM

Those aphids were always there, the scientists have only just discoverd them. One day they'll get their act together and discover God, and won't they look stupid then. Wink

Last Modified By keith selmes at 17 Oct 2012 - 11:10 AM
Carabosse
17 Oct 2012 - 11:24 AM

From a Wiki article about insects: "The number of extant species is estimated at between six and ten million, and potentially represent over 90% of the differing metazoan life forms on Earth."

I get the feeling God overdid it a bit on the insect front! Sad Wouldn't mind if they were mainly butterflies. Smile

Billlee
17 Oct 2012 - 11:44 AM

Quote: Hi Bill. First of all, sorry about putting up links about Horus/Jesus which it seems are disputed by other scholars. I have to admit even I wondered about so many similarities! However it does appear quite a few Bible stories have greater antiquity than the Bible. I am I guess the opposite of you, having been born and bred in a staunchly Christian family.]

That's OK Smile Seems I quote from sources that are disputed too!

[As to feeling happier and perhaps more serene, many have found simple meditation techniques achieve exactly the same thing but without the necessity of espousing a religion.

Religion in my mind means adhering to man made rules about God, and I abhor that. Belief and Faith in God are quite another matter ... So I didn't 'espouse a religion', actually God found me.... I wasn't looking for Him!!

So many people have lost Faith because of religion and so much evil has been perpetrated using God's name, and that is how the devil likes it.

Carabosse
17 Oct 2012 - 11:50 AM

Certainly so much of history contains things, are done in the name of religion, which seem to be more like the work of the Devil. Sad

But all of life (including photography!) is about light and shade, brightness and darkness, joy and sorrow. It seems to be one of the balances of the universe. Which is why, try as hard as we might, we will never fully overcome evil........... we can only mitigate it.

keith selmes
17 Oct 2012 - 1:01 PM

Quote: Religion in my mind means adhering to man made rules about God, and I abhor that. Belief and Faith in God are quite another matter ... So I didn't 'espouse a religion', actually God found me.... I wasn't looking for Him!!

that actually made sense

Billlee
17 Oct 2012 - 1:15 PM

@Cambirder.... Still reading Smile

@Cambirder & Mikehit is http://www.earthage.org/EarthOldorYoung/scientific_evidence_for_a_worldwide_flood.htm ALL Pseudoscience???

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 17 Oct 2012 - 1:22 PM
Carabosse
17 Oct 2012 - 1:28 PM

It is said by some that if you want to stand for any significant public office, in the good ol' US of A, to 'come out' as not espousing a mainstream religion is the death knell to any hopes of getting elected.

If that is true, sounds like even Bill would have a few problems in that regard! Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.