Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is American Science Doomed......

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
17 Oct 2012 - 3:55 PM

von Däniken uses the same techniques as the leading proponents of YEC, that is to start with the answer then look for evidence that might fit it and disregard the rest. Not scientific but it can be very profitable.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Oct 2012 - 3:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes
17 Oct 2012 - 3:57 PM

Quote: 'Chariots of the Gods' which was apparently a sensation in its time.

It was. I was surprised how many people read it and took it seriously. There was also Velikovsky, with "Worlds in Collision".

A more useful (heavy) read would be A History of God by Karen Armstrong.

Wiki backgrounder at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_History_of_God

Review at http://frimmin.com/books/historyofgod.php

keith selmes
17 Oct 2012 - 4:06 PM

There is a pdf copy of A History of God here http://images.hitungmundur.multiply.multiplycontent.com/attachment/0/Sch8EAoKCEA...

( I don't know how legal that copy is)

Last Modified By keith selmes at 17 Oct 2012 - 4:08 PM
Billlee
Billlee  85531 forum posts England
17 Oct 2012 - 10:31 PM

Quote: By the way, if you are proposing that the upright trees were caught in a single cataclysmic event, would not the trees be embedded in a single 40-foot sediment and not multiple layers?

The point they are trying to make is that the these upright trees are NOT found in a single sediment layer, but pass through several. The idea that these separate layers each took millions of years to be deposited seems a bit difficult to comprehend when a single trunk passes through all of them. The proposal that there was a flood would mean debris would be washed back and forth, and so it would be much easier to bury several layers in a short space of time, if a trunk or trunks were trapped in an upright position then those layers would build up around it. I do believe the sand particles in such layers are quite sharp, which would again mean rapid movement as millions of years of wave motion would render those particles smooth.

mikehit
mikehit  56687 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 11:12 PM

If debris were washed back and forwards by a single event it would not leave distinct layers in 40 days because the silt first put down would not have accreted enough to resist the turbulence.
So just because you do not understand the process for the multiple layyers does not mean a single event is the answer - you just need to read more and understand it better.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
17 Oct 2012 - 11:15 PM

Quote: The idea that these separate layers each took millions of years to be deposited seems a bit difficult to comprehend when a single trunk passes through all of them

True, but not all rock layers took millions of years to be deposited. Some of these trees are found within layers comprising of rock formed from a series explosive volcanic events, but most of these trees grew in coastal planes where various processes resulted in relatively rapid layering, see here. The trees buried within layers of volcanic origin could not possibly have been caused by a flood and radiometric dating shows these volcanic layers to be millions of years old, and whatever AiG says about radiometric dating is a desperate lie that they get away with because most people can't grasp the science behind it.

mlewis
mlewis  101476 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Oct 2012 - 12:38 PM

Quote: I wonder if anyone on here has read the Bible from start to finish?

I have it in ebook form and started to read it on my Kindle..................... but I didn't get beyond the "begats". Sad

I skipped the begats when last read the Bible. I didn't make it all the wy throught the Old Testament though. I got bored towards the end. One day I shall attempt the New Testament.

User_Removed
18 Oct 2012 - 4:52 PM

Billlee:

Adam and Eve begat Cain and Abel. Where did their wives come from???

mlewis
mlewis  101476 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Oct 2012 - 5:18 PM

Quote: Adam and Eve begat Cain and Abel. Where did their wives come from???

Well Adam & Eve would have to have begat them as well. The whole family would have been very close for quite a while.

User_Removed
18 Oct 2012 - 5:20 PM

When you say very close..

OBG! (Oh Billlee's God!)

Surely you're not talking about a henious and ungodly act that only some kinda sick, twisted m-----f----- would indulge in??

mikehit
mikehit  56687 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2012 - 5:30 PM

Yep.This site gets into all sorts of logistical knots trying to explain it
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c004.html

And don't forget about when Noah and his family survived the flood.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2012 - 5:34 PM

Don't forget Adam lived for 930 years and begat 56 children (allegedly! Wink)

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2012 - 6:19 PM

I'm starting to wonder if begat isn't some sort of euphemism...

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2012 - 6:27 PM

Well begat you then

I think there was a not the nine o'clock news sketch that went like that.

Last Modified By strawman at 18 Oct 2012 - 6:27 PM
Billlee
Billlee  85531 forum posts England
18 Oct 2012 - 11:09 PM

Quote: Billlee:

Adam and Eve begat Cain and Abel. Where did their wives come from???

Remember Cain killed Abel.... and Cain was sent out to wander the world on his own as punishment..... So I guess neither of them got married Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.