Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

is canon still king of the compact

5 Apr 2013 7:05AM
is the canon crown slipping after release of eos m and gx1

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

5 Apr 2013 7:55AM
I recently bought a Canon G15 and I am blown away by the quality and versatility of this little camera. Wink
alansnap e2
10 529 22 United Kingdom
5 Apr 2013 8:47AM
It depends what you want. The G15 follows in a line of great small sensor compacts. I love my G11, but I'd get a G1X these days for the bigger sensor. It's a fraction bigger than the normal G series, but is even better.
I think key here is the fact that many Nikon using Pros carry G series compacts.
Alan
5 Apr 2013 9:43AM
Many sites ceased to put Canon in first position overall for compacts over a year ago.
That aside it depends exactly what you want - compacts are often a one off purchase every three years or so, for as wide a range of needs as a DSLR.
If all what is perceived as being wanted is available at the right price there is no backup system to consider and the name on the camera matters somewhat less.
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
5 Apr 2013 1:06PM
Often its a case of price, The very expensive offering from any brand are likely to be pretty good as compacts go.

So if your looking for the very best in compacts start looking at the top ( most expensive ) models from any brand, Because these days there is nothing to choose between most of them technically.

I find all this retro nonsense amusing though, Just seems odd to want to by a modern digital product that looks like it was made 60 or 70 years ago....Grin

Whatever floats your boat or opens yer wallet I guess....Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
5 Apr 2013 1:11PM

Quote:is canon still king of the compact

No................ smartphones are! Grin

I have had a couple of Canon compacts in the past couple of years - an Ixus 230 HS and an S100. I got rid of both of them for differing reasons. Happy with my Sony TZ55 which is a true compact, i.e. it fits in my shirt pocket; it is actually smaller than my phone.

I think the days of bulky compacts - of whatever make - are drawing to an end.
Steppenwolf 3 971
5 Apr 2013 2:02PM
A recent AP review reckoned that the Sony RX100 was the best compact for image quality - it's got a larger sensor than the G15 so it should be better I suppose. Sadly it doesn't have a viewfinder.
Newdevonian 2 439 United Kingdom
5 Apr 2013 2:07PM
S100 Bulky? Hmmm! I don't think so. Grin

It strikes me that phones are getting bigger, with the latest iteration from Samsung (S4?) approaching a 5" screen. Sad
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
5 Apr 2013 2:11PM

Quote:S100 Bulky? Hmmm! I don't think so.

It's not bulky but it's not really shirt-pocketable. I was referring to the likes of the canon G series, actually.

Quote:It strikes me that phones are getting bigger, with the latest iteration from Samsung (S4?) approaching a 5" screen.

Yes but they are very thin and light, so just about shirt-pocketable. But I really don't want anything too much larger than my current Nokia N8.
5 Apr 2013 2:12PM
Carabosse:

Quote:I have had a couple of Canon compacts in the past couple of years - an Ixus 230 HS and an S100. I got rid of both of them for differing reasons. Happy with my Sony TZ55 which is a true compact, i.e. it fits in my shirt pocket; it is actually smaller than my phone.

I think the days of bulky compacts - of whatever make - are drawing to an end.

I think youíre right about phones killing all compacts except those with high-ratio zooms or unusually high image quality (e.g. those with much larger sensors, like the Sony RX100), but could I ask why you got rid of the Canon S100? And do you mean Sony TX55? That does look very compact (though still nearly twice as thick as an iPhone, for example).
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
5 Apr 2013 2:18PM

Quote:could I ask why you got rid of the Canon S100

It was one of those cameras which I just didn't like the feel of and which I did not find pleasant to use. Also the audio quality on video was not much better than the Ixus (which was poor).

Quote:And do you mean Sony TX55? That does look very compact (though still nearly twice as thick as an iPhone, for example).

Yes - this camera . Although I only paid £170 for mine. Video is pretty good - it does full-blown AVCHD and the audio is OK.

It is the same thickness as my Nokia N8 phone and smaller in the other 2 dimensions. It is not designed as an enthusiast compact, but it is carried around with me everywhere I go, i.e. I don't leave home without it. Smile
5 Apr 2013 2:46PM
I know what you mean about small size. Itís really important if you hope to carry the camera everywhere.

I had a Panasonic LX3 (and later an LX5, though I was happier with the LX3), and while these cameras had surprisingly good image quality (in raw; their JPEGs were poor, though I hear the LX7 has a much-improved JPEG engine), they were too bulky to pocket in anything but a heavy winter coat.

I sold them and bought a Ricoh GR Digital IV, which is a fine camera in many ways. I thought Iíd be able to take it almost everywhere, since itís much thinner than a Panasonic LX-series camera, but I find it too is too thick to comfortably put in a pocket (itís 32.5 mm thick).

Why donít you use the Nokia N8ís camera, Carabosse? Itís supposedly superb (for a phone), and many people are using the cameras in their Apple iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S Ė†which are reportedly inferior to the Nokia cameras.

ēēē

On the original topic: yes, I think itís fair to say Canon has lost its decisive lead in the premium compact sector. The Canon cameras are as good as ever, but the competition is no longer entirely useless. Sony has innovated, Panasonic has polished its cameras to a fine lustre since the groundbreaking LX3, Olympus has added a few solid offerings, Sigma has concentrated on big sensors, and even Nikon is finally giving compacts some proper attention. The result is that Canon compacts are no longer the undisputed leaders (though still arguably the most attractive for many people).
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
5 Apr 2013 2:48PM
For 'serious' compacts, Olympus have some good offerings in the XZ-2 and XZ-10.

But, according to AP, the market for compact cameras has dived by 34% over the past year so the writing is on the wall, methinks, for all compacts.

Quote:Why donít you use the Nokia N8ís camera, Carabosse? Itís supposedly superb (for a phone),

No optical zoom and the video is rubbish! Grin
5 Apr 2013 2:53PM
Carabosse:

Quote:But, according to AP, the market for compact cameras has dived by 34% over the past year

Yikes. Itís incredible how quickly markets collapse these days, when something new hits the scene. Imagine being in a business dying that quickly! The buggy-whip manufacturers had a few decades of warning. No such luxury today.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
5 Apr 2013 7:06PM

Quote:But, according to AP, the market for compact cameras has dived by 34% over the past year so the writing is on the wall, methinks, for all compacts

I think there will always be a market for the higher grade compacts, it will be the cheaper units that will suffer, I don`t think the quality is much better than a mobile phone and there hardly as convenient.

Quote:I find all this retro nonsense amusing though, Just seems odd to want to by a modern digital product that looks like it was made 60 or 70 years ago....Grin

Like what ? Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.