Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

is canon still king of the compact

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139497 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2013 - 7:29 PM

Once the type of technology to be found in phones like the Nokia 808 becomes more widely available, i.e. providing lossless digital zoom, the raison d'etre for compacts will really disappear.

The nostalgia market will always be with us, but it's very niche.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Apr 2013 - 7:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lawbert
lawbert  71714 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2013 - 7:32 PM

Quote:

I think there will always be a market for the higher grade compacts, it will be the cheaper units that will suffer, I don`t think the quality is much better than a mobile phone and there hardly as convenient.

I couldnt agree moreWink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139497 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2013 - 7:38 PM

The ergonomics of mobile phones leave a lot to be desired when it comes to photography. It's another reason I don't bother using mine, these days - have dropped the damn thing a couple of times! Grin

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315479 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2013 - 8:06 PM

Quote: The nostalgia market will always be with us, but it's very niche

But there are the practical reasons for a nostalgic build as well CB, its not just the look, handling plays the biggest part.

Carabosse
5 Apr 2013 - 8:31 PM

Outside the likes of EPZ, people want - above all - convenience. Quality is no longer king.......... convenience has usurped that role! Wink

I do agree handling plays its part - I have already said why I ditched the Canon S100 and why I don't use my phone to take photos/videos. But for many, these are very minor considerations: ability to instantly upload to Facebook is vastly more important to a growing number.

Photos have become consumables. Something you take every day, and throw away once you're bored with them.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 5 Apr 2013 - 8:36 PM
Bong
Bong  1
6 Apr 2013 - 12:56 AM

If I want to leave the slr at home but still be able to take proper photos with the ability to freeze action or turn a waterfall smokey etc etc I'd take my Canon compact.

My smartphone is good enough for Facebook snaps and not much else. Canon and Sony seem to produce the best compacts.

Carabosse
6 Apr 2013 - 1:07 AM

I think, amongst enthusiasts, the onward march of the CSC will make a difference. A small CSC with (say) a pancake zoom is pretty much as easy to carry around as some of the larger compacts and will generally give both better quality and more versatility.

Another mail in the coffin for the compact perhaps.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315479 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Apr 2013 - 1:14 AM

Part of the reason for picking up a GF2 when I wanted a 14mm, the EPM1 and EPM2 would be good as well.

My GF2 + lens is smaller than my compact Smile
4-p1010073.jpg
http://camerasize.com/compare/#241,129

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 6 Apr 2013 - 1:15 AM
EsaT
EsaT  1 Finland
13 Apr 2013 - 7:36 PM

How we define "compact" cameras?
Is it only shirt pocket sized? Jacket pocket sized? Or does it mean fixed lens non-DSLR digicams overall?
Only some single product niche in that, whole product range or what?
And amount of hyping of brand didn't tell anything about real products even then.
For example Canon never had anything to answer ergonomics/features of Minolta Dimage 7-serie and A1/A2 while basing to hype in medias Powershot G was the next best thing after DSLR.

Quote: Once the type of technology to be found in phones like the Nokia 808 becomes more widely available, i.e. providing lossless digital zoom, the raison d'etre for compacts will really disappear.

There is no lossless digital zoom, period.
Not really even "digital zoom", because it's just plain old cropping which brings no new details.

Nokia's Pureview works by having bazillion of tiny pixels with performance in line of their size.
Original image is then downsampled (throwing away details) at normal settings, also covering that noise.
"Zooming" is done by cropping original picture and decreasing amount of downsampling until "at full zoom" all what's left is 1:1 scale crop of image's center with associated quality of tiny pixels.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2013 - 8:32 PM

I had cause to visit my GP the other day with a allergic skin reaction I been suffering due to some drugs I have to take. She wasn't quite sure if it was an allergy and wanted to send some pictures to a Dermatologist for verification on how it should be treated. She then proceeded to pull out her drawer an old Canon G10, gave it to me knowing I'm in to photography as were also friendly outside of the surgery and then asked me to set it up, which gave me quite a giggle. It might be old tech, but I was surprised at how well the images came out.........Now have to use Betnovate for the skin condition, so the shots we took must have been good enough for the Dermatologist too Tongue

Paul Morgan
13 Apr 2013 - 9:21 PM

That`s funny, so am I, can`t stop bleeding itching Smile

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 3:30 AM

Quote: That`s funny, so am I, can`t stop bleeding itching

Really angry and irritating/itchy blisters anything up to 5-7mm in diameter, covering the whole body and completely driving me round the twist. My GP and family are now convinced I'm a walking disaster area what with everything else I have going on and if it wasn't for the fact that it would be a waste of a good bullet, I should be taken out the back and shot!.......But I digress from the OP Tongue

Paul Morgan
14 Apr 2013 - 3:54 AM

Yep same here, had it before about ten years ago, they never did find out what it was, vanished a few months later leaving a lot of scaring, then a few months later I was diagnosed with graves disease.

Never did find out if the two were connected in some way.

What medication are you now on, they changed mine several months ago, this was when the problems started, so I`m guessing there connected but you never know.

kodachrome
15 Apr 2013 - 8:55 AM

It may pay to differentiate between a CSC and a compact. Most reviews rate the Sony NEX cameras as CSC market leaders. With compacts I would look at the Fuji X20, I think Photography Blog said the picture quality was not just excellent but outstanding. The Sony X100 is another camera with outstanding picture quality. As said, the Canon compacts are superb as well.

I'm not sure where Canon stands now in the overall picture, but they still out sell most other brands especially DSLR's. People like Sony, Fuji and even Pentax are producing products as good or better than the two big boys and it would pay to conduct some market research and make your own mind up, I don't always agree with some reviews as there are a couple of well known review sites where if its not Canikon, it has to be inferior!
Pete

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.