Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is it any wonder smaller photographic businesses are in trouble ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2013 - 12:15 PM

I am now at the point of getting annoyed lol ..

After the purchase of my 5D3 i have decided to get a prime to lighten it up for everyday camera use when for family and day out shots and narrowed it down after masses of research and keeping to a budget of around or under 300 to the new 40mm pancake or the older 35mm f2 probably used.

Finally plumping for the 40mm i decided to do the usual price checking and found most places at similar prices , this led me to choose Kerso ( flashcamera ) ebay store is he came recommended, So paid the money for the new 40mm on ebay and sat back happy with myself. Imagine then my surprise when 2 hours later the money is refunded and i am sent a message to say that i phoned them and agreed a refund. I rang flash camera and was given some pretty lame and non existant excuse about recent frauds ( remembering that i purchased through paypal and on ebay this is no excuse ) and after a pointless discussion with them decided to go elsewhere and left somewhat confused with that situation to say the least.

So i ended up looking again and this time found a good deal on mifsuds , a used 28mm is 2.8 for 299 ! great , rang them up last night and was told would call me today as they were closing to go through the details , just had a phonecall from them - they got the price wrong ! so cant sell me it for 299 ... its actually 499

How hard is it to spend money ?

There are NO camera shops near me and i live in a built up area which pretty much qualifies to be a city , argos , currys etc dont sell the stuff ... it would appear smaller businesses have lost the idea of customer service completely I am going to be left with no choice but to use one of the big guys and that just fuels more closures in the future ...

The nearest place to me is in Sunderland and when i rang them the guy was unsure whether he should stock the 40mm so had not got it in yet ! Apparently my phone call had prompted him to order it , at this rate i might as well wait and go there it will probably cost the same in petrol as delivery would

rant over sorry Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Mar 2013 - 12:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2013 - 1:00 PM

I tend to use this site as a first step in any purchase.

Lowest prices for the 40mm/f2.8 and 35mm/f2 are £139 and £189 respectively. You could buy both for only a little over your £300 budget. Smile

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54172 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2013 - 1:02 PM

Really annoying! We've had the same with tradesmen who come round, make all the right noises and then don't send in an estimate. Things must be good if vendors can't be bothered.

But on a better note, I bought the 40mm as a lightweight carry-around, and it's really nice. Neat and sharp.

Newdevonian
17 Mar 2013 - 1:02 PM

Not familiar with Canon Lenses, but is this the one you are talking about? http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-k...

Newdevonian
17 Mar 2013 - 1:03 PM

Carabosse beat me to it

pulsar69
17 Mar 2013 - 1:07 PM

Quote: Not familiar with Canon Lenses, but is this the one you are talking about? http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=canon+40mm+pancake&sprefix=canon+40mm+pancake%2Caps%2C283

It is and they are good deals too but i was hoping to try and support a smaller trader , seems i may have to go that route tho Sad

pulsar69
17 Mar 2013 - 1:08 PM

What are Bristol Cameras like anyone ?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2013 - 1:13 PM

Quote: What are Bristol Cameras like anyone ?

I've bought one or two things from them. Seem much the same as other online retailers.

robthecamman
17 Mar 2013 - 2:39 PM

all of my camera gear iv bought thro internet and small shops no bother.

bainsybike
17 Mar 2013 - 4:11 PM

Quote: What are Bristol Cameras like anyone ?

They have a small bricks-and-mortar shop in Bristol, as well as an online presence. They look like the sort of small photographic business the OP is referring to, and my experience with them is not encouraging.

I bought my camera (Canon 50D) there about 5 years ago. At the time, they were listed by Camera Price Buster as the cheapest source for that camera, and I happened to be in Bristol that day so I went into the shop to buy it. I was told that there was a £5 premium to pay for actually buying it in the shop. Since they charge for delivery if you buy online, I asked if there was any way of buying for the advertised price, and the guy behind the counter couldn't think of any!

I ended up buying it anyway, but I've steered clear of Bristol Cameras since then.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314819 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2013 - 4:43 PM

Andrew try Amazon they have the 35mm f2 for about £200.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-35mm-Wide-Angle-Lens/dp/B00007EE8P/ref=sr_1_3?ie=U...

The 40mm pancake is even cheaper

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-40mm-2-8-STM-Lens/dp/B0089SWZDU/ref=pd_sim_ph_9

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 17 Mar 2013 - 5:17 PM
pulsar69
17 Mar 2013 - 5:04 PM

Cheers Paul and everyone whos taken time to point out prices etc too !

Wish i could just walk into a shop tomorrow and buy the b**** thing ! Everyones moaning about our dead high streets and wants them back but it seems it just too late we are now all the victims of our own wish for cheaper prices and stuck with nothing but faceless companies like Amazon etc to deal with ..

Campervanman
Campervanman e2 Member 6711 forum postsCampervanman vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2013 - 5:25 PM

Try Ffordes http://www.ffordes.com

I've used them for several years (mainly for used Bronica and now used Olympus) and I've always been very pleased with my purchases and service received.

Christographer_Hull

28mm f2.8 for 500! I got mine for 80 from Jacobs!

puertouk
puertouk  21052 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2013 - 6:01 PM

Try this site, I'm sure you will find what you are after.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.