Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Is it better in black & white for image taken from camera phone?

arhab e2
2 43 2 Indonesia
19 Feb 2012 5:57AM
Ben freer suggest me to convert image that I had taken from camera phone to black & white. And I did it, the result is amazing. the image is better than ever. My question is, is it better in black & white for image taken from camera phone?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

19 Feb 2012 10:36AM
Black and white will sometimes disguise the noise and other defects from cheaper cameras. Also black and white will sometimes make a subject / object stand out much more than it does in color
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
19 Feb 2012 1:00PM
There are those who believe you can make a rubbish colour image better by converting it to " Black & White .....!!!!!!!

Sad fact is all you get is a rubbish image in " Black & White " ......Sad

In the same way that you can't polish a turd, An image needs to be good in its own right, No matter if it is in colour or Black & White.....!!!!

Most who really know what they are talking about in Black & White, Actually see the image as a Black & White before they fire the shutter button, ........Grin

Trying to mask bad images by converting them to something else, Never works convincingly.
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2012 1:48PM

Quote:Most who really know what they are talking about in Black & White, Actually see the image as a Black & White before they fire the shutter button, ........Grin

Quite so with whatever camera is used.
The sensation and glamour colour gives is removed in B&W that enphasises texture and shapes.

It would be more useful if we could see the image with the modification.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
19 Feb 2012 2:02PM
I saw some interesting research some time ago that showed that, when all other factors were eliminated, viewers would spend twice as long looking at a monochrome image in a Gallery as they would viewing a colour image. The explanation was fairly complex but the two factors I remember were that a monochrome image allows for more interpretation by the viewer and also that chrominance and luminance are processed by different parts of the brain.

By the way, in relation to
Quote:Most who really know what they are talking about in Black & White, Actually see the image as a Black & White before they fire the shutter button
I tend to do both. Sometimes I have identified a particular scene or subject as lending itself to monochrome before I make the exposure; sometimes I look at a colour image and think that it might lend itself to a monochrome interpretation.

arhab e2
2 43 2 Indonesia
21 Feb 2012 5:32AM
Thank you for your quick response guys. I know, bad picture is still bad even in black and white. So I have been edited on the advice of the "master".

Any suggestions on this photo? "work on Problem"

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.