Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is it better in black & white for image taken from camera phone?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    arhab
    arhab  243 forum posts Indonesia2 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Feb 2012 - 5:57 AM

Ben freer suggest me to convert image that I had taken from camera phone to black & white. And I did it, the result is amazing. the image is better than ever. My question is, is it better in black & white for image taken from camera phone?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Feb 2012 - 5:57 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pat_Stones
    19 Feb 2012 - 10:36 AM

Black and white will sometimes disguise the noise and other defects from cheaper cameras. Also black and white will sometimes make a subject / object stand out much more than it does in color

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Feb 2012 - 1:00 PM

There are those who believe you can make a rubbish colour image better by converting it to " Black & White .....!!!!!!!

Sad fact is all you get is a rubbish image in " Black & White " ......Sad

In the same way that you can't polish a turd, An image needs to be good in its own right, No matter if it is in colour or Black & White.....!!!!

Most who really know what they are talking about in Black & White, Actually see the image as a Black & White before they fire the shutter button, ........Grin

Trying to mask bad images by converting them to something else, Never works convincingly.

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 102983 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Feb 2012 - 1:48 PM

Quote: Most who really know what they are talking about in Black & White, Actually see the image as a Black & White before they fire the shutter button, ........Grin

Quite so with whatever camera is used.
    The sensation and glamour colour gives is removed in B&W that enphasises texture and shapes.

It would be more useful if we could see the image with the modification.

User_Removed
    19 Feb 2012 - 2:02 PM

I saw some interesting research some time ago that showed that, when all other factors were eliminated, viewers would spend twice as long looking at a monochrome image in a Gallery as they would viewing a colour image. The explanation was fairly complex but the two factors I remember were that a monochrome image allows for more interpretation by the viewer and also that chrominance and luminance are processed by different parts of the brain.

By the way, in relation to
    Quote: Most who really know what they are talking about in Black & White, Actually see the image as a Black & White before they fire the shutter button

I tend to do both. Sometimes I have identified a particular scene or subject as lending itself to monochrome before I make the exposure; sometimes I look at a colour image and think that it might lend itself to a monochrome interpretation.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 19 Feb 2012 - 2:04 PM
    arhab
    arhab  243 forum posts Indonesia2 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Feb 2012 - 5:32 AM

Thank you for your quick response guys. I know, bad picture is still bad even in black and white. So I have been edited on the advice of the "master".

Any suggestions on this photo? "work on Problem"

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.