Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is it easy to change to Mac from Pc?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
christabella
christabella e2 Member 10133 forum postschristabella vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2013 - 4:15 PM

My computer is old and in need of replacing and I was wondering how easy it would be to change from PC to a Mac. I have my photos stored on external hard drives, will I be able to just plug in and play OK or will I have compatibility problems. I love my ipad and just fancied a change. Any advice would be great thanks.
Christine

Last Modified By christabella at 28 Feb 2013 - 4:16 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Feb 2013 - 4:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_Hilton
28 Feb 2013 - 4:37 PM

Yes your externa HD will just plug into a MAC and appear as a drive like a PC. The only caution I would give is to check if you have bought any photoshop filters or programs. Some of these are not produced in a MAC version.

However there is always an alternative array of software let alone the great ILIfe package that comes already bundled with a new MAC

Newdevonian
28 Feb 2013 - 4:54 PM

I did just this a month ago. The easy way: just get yourself a 16 or 32Gb USB stick to transfer data.. My iMac has a Terabyte drive so it will need something large for backup. What software are you using? If you have Lghtroom then you have paid already for both a Mac & a PC licence, but the included i-Photo will open all your jpegs and I believe now RAW files. For MS Works or Office documents use the Apple apps Pages, Numbers and the other one, 14.00 apiece. I don't believe that Office will read the Apple app, docs

I was astounded how easy it all was. One suggestion, change your printer at the same time, so you don't have to faff with printer drivers. I bought an HP5520 Airprinter. Computer automatically connected, no cables. You can print via e-mail as well if you so wish . Print quality both photo and document is pretty good.

Go for it!

sparrowhawk
sparrowhawk e2 Member 5267 forum postssparrowhawk vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2013 - 5:00 PM

its a doddle you won't want to go back believe me

JJGEE
JJGEE  96290 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2013 - 5:16 PM

Quote: Yes your externa HD will just plug into a MAC and appear as a drive like a PC.

Not quite the same as a PC

You will not see drive letters

C, D, F etc. Macs do not use that system of naming.

Last Modified By JJGEE at 28 Feb 2013 - 5:17 PM
Stephen_w3d
28 Feb 2013 - 6:00 PM

If your drive is formatted NTFS the mac will see it to read from, but you will have to jump through hoops to get the mac to write to it. I went back to a pc after a month, couldn't stand osx.

cathal
cathal  9492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2013 - 6:33 PM

Just do it... it's straight forward and you'll love it.

Data is easily transferred, wide choice of software, and if you really needed to you can run widows on boot camp. Once you adjust, it's a much nicer way of working.

marsh145
marsh145  6 England
28 Feb 2013 - 6:44 PM

I went from PC to mac..... so glad I did. PCs slow down..the mac doesn't, the quality of the pictures on screen are far superior, plus it's instantly awake and ready to go. (I shut mine down once a week to clear temp files) Took a while to understand how it 'operates', but once I'd sorted it..no problems. I wouldn't change back!!

crash39
crash39 e2 Member 8crash39 vcard England
28 Feb 2013 - 6:54 PM

I've just done it last week. Love my new iMac!! The external drives do need reformatting I did mine in the FAT32 format so they can be used on either mac or pc. Transferring all the stuff was time consuming but not difficult. Adobe licenses can be changed platform at no cost if that's needed, just contact them.

llareggub
llareggub  4683 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Feb 2013 - 7:10 PM

Probably as easy as it is to go from Canon to Nikon or vice versa, both very capable machines but both have their die hard supporters. Neither are better than the other and I am sure that there is a settling in process but nothing that your average bod cannot cope with Wink

Louise_Morris
Louise_Morris e2 Member 42310 forum postsLouise_Morris vcard England
28 Feb 2013 - 7:13 PM

Best thing I ever did! Wouldn't go back to a PC now! FAT32 format is a good idea and a lot of software is supplied as both formats. Go for it!!!

User_Removed
28 Feb 2013 - 8:01 PM

Totally go for it. It's the fastest computer in the world. It never ever crashes ever. You can't get a virus or attacked by malware. Pictures look better than they do on any other computer. You do pay a lot for the same hardware in a different box but it's a much prettier box. It won't work properly with your old pictures on NTFS drives (and FAT32 has a file limit) but just take new pictures anyway, simples Smile

llareggub
llareggub  4683 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Feb 2013 - 8:19 PM

Quote: Totally go for it. It's the fastest computer in the world. It never ever crashes ever. You can't get a virus or attacked by malware. Pictures look better than they do on any other computer. You do pay a lot for the same hardware in a different box but it's a much prettier box. It won't work properly with your old pictures on NTFS drives (and FAT32 has a file limit) but just take new pictures anyway, simples Smile

Rarely does sarcasm work in written form but I offer you a hearty congratulations Wink

JJGEE
JJGEE  96290 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2013 - 8:23 PM

If you can get to an Apple Store then I suggest you make a visit and have a look / use one.

christabella
christabella e2 Member 10133 forum postschristabella vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2013 - 8:37 PM

Thank you, I'm going to try to get to apple store in Manchester over the weekend. The only photoshop plugin I use is onone and that looks to be ok. Not sure how the fat system works, will have to check it out.
Christine

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.