Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is it easy to change to Mac from Pc?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
llareggub
llareggub  4682 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Mar 2013 - 5:44 PM

Quote: The view that everything is open for debate is dull-witted and counterproductive.

This statement whilst having "debatable" merit is nothing short of dull witted and inflammatory, if you meant it that way then congratulations, but... Really!

Most people, myself included have no interest whatsoever in the operating system or the relative processing powers of machines. As far as I am concerned the operating system is nothing more than a device to run the software I want to run in order to achieve my final goal. No one can tell if my final product is produced on Mac, PC or Linux in the same way that no one can tell if my final product is produced by Adobe, DPP or perfect photosuite or heading back towards photography, Canon, Nikon or Sony!

I live in the arse end of nowhere and quite frankly your CitroŽn (I did the Ž really quickly too on a PC as I know how to) or your rear wheel drive German car is nothing short of useless to me, as such they are nothing more than a waste of my money. To be honest that is how I view apple!

That of course not taking away the achievement of Mr Jobs and his part in dragging the market forwards, however innovators rarely stay as market leaders!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Mar 2013 - 5:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

samueldilworth

Iím bored of this now. Refer to these 26,000 words for in-depth technical analysis, or any of Stephen Fryís many eloquent pieces on Apple for further apologia. I seem to have been mistaken for one of those weird Apple cult members. I only like Macs because they are good. I cannot explain why that offends some of you so much, to the point of insulting Type Togetherís design skills, but heigh-ho. Iím off with myselfÖ

Just let it be known I donít look down on anyone for using a Windows PC, any more than I look down on CitroŽn owners, or for that matter people who choose not to own cars at all (theyíve maybe made the best decision).

User_Removed
1 Mar 2013 - 6:59 PM

Quote: insulting Type Togetherís design skills

Type-Together may have designed the poor Bodoni like typeface used in your logo (don't understand why you'd mention them otherwise) but a type designer doesn't do the hand kerning, that's a graphic desinger's job when placing letters next to each other.

It's very amusing to us in the know that you thought they did! GrinGrinGrin

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022909 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2013 - 7:11 PM

Can I just say that Apple have now done away with the shiny reflective screens.

(Puts on coat and exits stage left damn sharp ish)

From my iPad
Wink

Last Modified By keithh at 1 Mar 2013 - 7:12 PM
llareggub
1 Mar 2013 - 7:37 PM

Quote: Iím bored of this now. Refer to these 26,000 words for in-depth technical analysis, or any of Stephen Fryís many eloquent pieces on Apple for further apologia. I seem to have been mistaken for one of those weird Apple cult members. I only like Macs because they are good. I cannot explain why that offends some of you so much, to the point of insulting Type Togetherís design skills, but heigh-ho. Iím off with myselfÖ

Just let it be known I donít look down on anyone for using a Windows PC, any more than I look down on CitroŽn owners, or for that matter people who choose not to own cars at all (theyíve maybe made the best decision).

I don't look down on those that drive CitroŽn cars, BMW's or even those that use Macs, but I do look slightly strangely at people who refer to people as "dull-witted" for disagreeing an evidently debatable point!

Better can only be measured against a benchmark and given that the benchmark that I use to measure my computer is physical output (probably the same as most other people) then a Mac is no different to a PC, ergo in my case your assertion that Mac is better is wrong, if you have a different benchmark you could very well be correct.

Personally I prefer PC, although I use a Mac on an almost a daily basis but only when I have to!

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2013 - 11:55 PM

Quote: I seem to have been mistaken for one of those weird Apple cult members.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like one...........................

They are just a brand of PC, sorry. There are worse and there are better devices. just as there are better and worse cars than BMW's. I have seen situations where the Citroen is the smarter choice. Only a snob could not conceive of situations where this is true.

In this day and age the applications are far more interesting than the choice of OS. Is Stephen Fry famous for his photography? It would be interesting to see what he photographs.

Last Modified By strawman at 1 Mar 2013 - 11:57 PM
hobbs
hobbs  101222 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Mar 2013 - 12:26 AM

Quote: From my iPad
Wink

8" or 10" ?

Wink

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2013 - 2:03 PM

Quote: Apple is basically an ideas factory for the whole tech industry

ooh I think you mis-typed there that should be "Apple is basically an idea repackager for the whole tech industry" Wink

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022909 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2013 - 2:17 PM

10 inch. I am so last month. Wink

Stephen_w3d
2 Mar 2013 - 3:44 PM

OSX is basically the open source operating system FreeBSD with there own window manager on top of X Window System , so if the open source community stop development (although not likely) apple's osx will rapidly go out of date. Also how often has apple left the end user high and dry, the first mac was 68000 CPU based then they switched to PPC architecture and latterly switching to the Intel architecture.

Stephen_w3d
2 Mar 2013 - 3:51 PM

If your interested in running OSX without spending an insane amount of money have a look at

tonymacx86 Blog

Hackintosh

osx86 Project

there are other sites out there that will show you how to install osx onto a regular pc just google it.

User_Removed
2 Mar 2013 - 3:57 PM

Quote: how often has apple left the end user high and dry

It was a disgrace what they did with those PowerMac users. People who spent £3k on a system who were marooned.

Even though it's quite possible to run OSX on standard pc hardware people still pay big bucks for Apple branded stuff (often made in same Chinese factories).

Are they sucked into doing this because it costs more so they feel it's worth more, who do Apple users imagine pays for those expensive shops...?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2013 - 5:50 PM

Apple products have been described as a 'lifestyle choice'. Wink

llareggub
2 Mar 2013 - 5:53 PM

Going back to the OP yeah it's relatively simple to change between the two systems but why do you want to?

User_Removed
2 Mar 2013 - 6:50 PM

"Why do you want to?"

That is an important question.

If you find yourself baffled by your Windows PC, updates you're unsure about, program installations that you don't understand, links that might contain malware (but you don't know how to tell) then the Mac system might be a better choice. It's less vulnerable to malware (but that's changing all the time). It takes away a lot of the decisions you have to make by making them for you.

A control freak like me hates that, I like to know what's going on, I like to know where my files actually are, I like to optimise my system manually. The operating system part of the Mac is easier for many users. However the stuff you use like Firefox, Chrome, Photoshop and Lightroom aren't any easier, they are the same programs.

You shouldn't have a worse computing experience by getting a Mac but you might find yourself paying through the nose for for repairs and support should you need it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.