Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Is it easy to change to Mac from Pc?

tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2013 8:45PM

Quote:"Why do you want to?"

That is an important question.

If you find yourself baffled by your Windows PC, updates you're unsure about, program installations that you don't understand, links that might contain malware (but you don't know how to tell) then the Mac system might be a better choice. It's less vulnerable to malware (but that's changing all the time). It takes away a lot of the decisions you have to make by making them for you.

A control freak like me hates that, I like to know what's going on, I like to know where my files actually are, I like to optimise my system manually. The operating system part of the Mac is easier for many users. However the stuff you use like Firefox, Chrome, Photoshop and Lightroom aren't any easier, they are the same programs.

You shouldn't have a worse computing experience by getting a Mac but you might find yourself paying through the nose for for repairs and support should you need it.

Possibly the most sensible response, to the age old question, I have ever readTongue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

hobbs e2
10 1.2k United Kingdom
3 Mar 2013 12:38AM

Quote:10 inch. I am so last month. Wink

Yes but you have the experience to use it to its full potential Wink
pete146uk e2
2 25 1 United Kingdom
4 Mar 2013 8:45PM
Christabella

Obviously, this was always going to turn into another PC vs Mac debate - but I'm not entirely sure that your question actually got answered! lol

I went through this change in Nov - switched from 20 yrs of Windows to my first Mac, and Imac. I can honestly say that I love it, and cannot ever see myself moving back (as long as I can find the cash to buy apple products). For me and for my needs, the Imac is perfect.

I found the switch pretty easy. OSX is so intuitive that if you have a decent knowledge of general computing it shouldn't cause too many problems. Anything that you do come across can be fixed easily via google Smile I do recommend you read a book on switching. This isn't essential but allowed me to get the most from the mac. I read 'Switching to the mac, the missing manual' by David Pague - a bit long, but great reference and it taught me loads that I would have never thought of!

Regarding your external hard drives. This depends entirely on how you formatted them. Mine was not compatible with the Mac so I went through the slow process of tranferring everything via a USB drive from the PC to the Mac, then re-formatted the drive on the Mac.

Since then, I have moved photos from some older drives. I instead created an account on mega.co.nz - got 50gb free storage, uploaded to it from the PC, formatted the drive on the Mac, then downloaded to the hard drive again. No problems and much easier Smile

Hope that helps
flyman 6 1 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2013 4:30PM
best thing i have done its great love it , a bit strange at first but its easy when you get used to it ,,, go for it you won't be disappointed
Goldfynche 1 306 England
29 May 2013 8:24PM
I was in my mid 60s when I emigrated to Mac from Windows. So it shouldn't be that difficult. My only recommendation. Take your windows mouse with you. It will retain all of its original uses, including 'Right click'
Goldfynche 1 306 England
30 May 2013 10:35AM
One thing to take into account. If you use a Mac for video editing using FireWire. The FireWire connection is different, so you will have to get a new lead. 20+ in Maplins.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.