Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

is it illegal to photograph a dog without permission?

jadus e2
3 1.0k 2 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2014 10:33PM
I have just been barked at by a woman for taking a photo of her dog with it's head stuck under the garden gate.I could not resist!

She screamed that i had broken the law because i had not asked her permission to take the photo of her dog with it's head stuck under the garden gate.

From what I have read she is quite simply wrong.

Any thoughts?

Jade

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
28 Jul 2014 10:48PM
Is the gate on her property?

If it's in a public place then she's wrong.
bainsybike 5 276
28 Jul 2014 10:48PM
As long as you asked the dog... Wink
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2014 10:50PM
Just tell her that you are have got an offer to sell the picture to the online magazine 'dogs in bikinis' for 375 and she had better cancel that month's subscription because she may cause her mutt an immense amount of humilation.
jadus e2
3 1.0k 2 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2014 10:55PM
In answer to Franken: she rents the house from the local housing association so in that sense it is public property, but when I took the photo of the dog it's head was on the public highway because it was popping out from under the gate and therefore not within the boundary of the propertySmile

The dog was being choked by the latts of the gate so couldn't answer Smile

Dog's in bikini's, now there's a photo to be had!
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
28 Jul 2014 11:04PM

Quote:In answer to Franken: she rents the house from the local housing association so in that sense it is public property

Its not public property, it is owned by a private company but let to a tenant.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2014 11:13PM

Quote:In answer to Franken: she rents the house from the local housing association so in that sense it is public property, but when I took the photo of the dog it's head was on the public highway because it was popping out from under the gate and therefore not within the boundary of the propertySmile

The dog was being choked by the latts of the gate so couldn't answer Smile

Dog's in bikini's, now there's a photo to be had!

If you are on public property you can take a picture of the dog even if it is in the middle of her garden unless the image caused emabrassment to her: maybe the dog was desperately trying to get away from her!
jadus e2
3 1.0k 2 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2014 11:30PM
i think the dog was trying very hard to get away from her. I was on a public highway as was the dog's head!! So I'll wait to see if the threat of the police turning up on my door step becomes a reality.
rambler e2
6 477 14 England
28 Jul 2014 11:41PM
Tell her you were taking the picture as you thought the dog was being mistreated, then get someone to take a picture of her hitting you.

By the way as you were on public land you have not broken the law.
28 Jul 2014 11:43PM
Did anybody think or try to release the poor dog's head, or was it just left in distress? Sad
jadus e2
3 1.0k 2 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2014 11:52PM
The dog yanked its own head from between the latts of the gate and legged it inside.
Chris_L e2
1.5k United Kingdom
29 Jul 2014 3:04AM
You (or the press who do this all the time) can point your camera anywhere you can point your eyes, so long as you aren't trespassing you can take as many photos of private property (such as dogs) as you like.

You'd only have a possible problem if you tried to cash in on the image.
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
29 Jul 2014 3:31AM
It always amuses me that we want to live in a free world yet the moment something we dont like happens we revert to demanding or expecting lawful protection in even the most ridiculous areas, then when our own freedoms are impinged we cry about the laws that seek to control our freedoms ..

We seem to want laws to protect us in every situation and yet hate the invasive laws that affect our every movement. We demand tighter controls on things the moment the slightest thing goes wrong but decry the inconvenience of health & safety, red tape and any controls set up to prevent even the most unlikely thing going wrong. We had a ground swell of public demand for laws such as 'joint enterprise' but once the reality hits many now find it unpalatable and unjust. We often get what we deserve.

This isn't a judgement on the OP or the woman with the dog, just an observation of how we should be careful what we wish for. I may have gone slightly OT but its a point worth making.
KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
29 Jul 2014 7:55AM
Putting the legality issues aside, And not being there at the time so unable to judge if it was invasive or not, I have an image of someone taking photos of where I live and my dog in my garden, In todays society that makes me a little uncomfortable.
This isn't a criticism of the op but just another viewpoint from the other side of the fence(Excuse the Pun)
altitude50 10 2.3k United Kingdom
29 Jul 2014 8:29AM
I once had a woman chase me out of a supermarket, screaming, because she thought I was taking photographs of her. I was just answering my mobile phone which was an old lump of a Nokia with no camera in it. My wife on the other end of the call was not amused.Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.